vaccinationsfor caribean cruise

sheldrake

Hi

This is our first cruise,we are going for 7 day west caribean with Princess,I am finding conflicting information regarding vaccinations advised,some even recommend malaria tablets. Can anyone put me on the right track.?

This question gets asked a lot here. If you want to read detailed answers, use the search function.

However you don't need ANY vaccinations for your cruise, and you certainly do not need to take "malaria tablets".

If you were planning on spending days in the "wilds" of some of these countries, you may want to get vaccinations, but for a couple hours in port, you will not need them. It's not a requirement to cruise.

My doctor "highly" suggested that I get a Tentaus Booster when I started cruising way back in 2005. He explained it this way; you are walking on a beach in Cozumel (or Roatan or Progresso) and you step on a shell or something else that was hidden in the sand. You cut your foot and it is bleeding just enough to require a band aid. Would you rather go to a clinic on one of those islands and get a Tentaus shot or do it right here in my office? Needless to say he became $30 richer within those five minutes.

There are some basic shots that everyone should have and some need multiple shots so need 6 months before the cruise. The CDC even recommends them for visiting the USA. I recommend visiting the CDC site and putting in the places you are visiting. You also have to think about what you are doing at the places you are visiting.

The basic shots are Tetanus, HepA, HepB and if traveling in winter Flu Shots. We did the Western Caribbean last January and also got the Typhoid shot but that was because we knew we would be eating off ship and we are doing another Country in Sept where it is recommended (Typhoid is only good for 2 years, HepA & HepB good for life, Tetanus 10 years). Malaria was not recommended by my travel clinic or my doctor when taking a cruise; some of their logic was that on cruise ship you are not there at dawn/dusk which is the bad time for mosquitoes.

Have a great trip, Sharon

No vaccinations are required for a caribbean cruise.

What I do think you should do is speak to your medical doctor as their are some shots that are good to take in preparation for traveling and they should be able to let you know which ones would be good to take.

Keith

Hi

This is our first cruise,we are going for 7 day west caribean with Princess,I am finding conflicting information regarding vaccinations advised,some even recommend malaria tablets. Can anyone put me on the right track.?

I find the mosquitoes will get in your cabin while your in the Ports of Call and your veranda door is open.

Just make sure you attempt to keep your veranda door closed while your away and if you here that buzz at night, Do what ever it takes to seek and destroy the mosquito.:eek:

Use mosquito repellant if you are doing any excursions.

We had never considered any type shot. My nephew tried to give blood in college shortly after we returned from a cruise. They ask where he cruised and when he listed Labadee, Haiti, they sent him away and said they couldn't take his blood. Had not occurred to us. I was diagnosed with Viral Cardiomyopathy a few months after a cruise where I took a very bad cold that I just couldn't get over. I still have friends/co-workers who think I got it on one of the islands, since I got sick the night before we docked. I think we have little contact with the natives of Haiti, however, they are the vendors on the island so I guess an argument could be made on the blood. I however, do not believe that there is a connection between the virus that did the damage to my heart and the islands we visited.

Personally, I think everyone should ask their doctor about the meningitis shot. I picked up meningitis while working in Jamaica (of course, I could have just as easily gotten it Stateside). I was lucky, weeks in the hospital, but recovered. Many people die from meningitis. Cruisers or not, I urge everyone to speak to their doctor about this shot.

None are required, but we did get Hepatitis A & B before our cruise to Mexico. If there is a travel clinic at a hospital near you they are aware of any requirements and can give recommendations.

My sister-in-law is a nurse practitioner and she works one day a week in the travel clinic of our local hospital. NO shots are required, however, she recommends carrying along an antibiotic such as Cipro.

The last two times that we've cruised (sister-in-law included), we had our doctor write an Rx for Cipro, had it filled, and took it with us. I am cruising again at the end of the month and I am doing the same thing.

Karen

Archived