Mt. Etna and Taormina - doable in one afternoon?

blueapsara

I will be going to Messina this August on the Celebrity Century. Arriving at 12:30pm and leaving at 8pm. I'm guessing that, realistically, I'll only have about 5 hours in port (1:30-6:30pm) if I don't want to miss the ship.

Would love to go to Mount Etna. But is it possible to also go to Taormina, when I only have an afternoon?

Thanks.

I will be going to Messina this August on the Celebrity Century. Arriving at 12:30pm and leaving at 8pm. I'm guessing that, realistically, I'll only have about 5 hours in port (1:30-6:30pm) if I don't want to miss the ship.

Would love to go to Mount Etna. But is it possible to also go to Taormina, when I only have an afternoon?

Thanks.

Yes you can, we did we was there from 10am til 5pm

Yes you can, we did we was there from 10am til 5pm

That's good to know. Did you book a private tour? If so, which one? I'm looking at Sicily Life, they seem pretty reasonable and have had good reviews.

Thanks.

That's good to know. Did you book a private tour? If so, which one? I'm looking at Sicily Life, they seem pretty reasonable and have had good reviews.

Thanks.

We use marioastone at tiscali.it for the 8 of us we did pay 45 euro each last summer, we found his name in here

I don't think there is time for both. The ships anchor in the bay and you have to tender in. Etna is one one side, Taormina is on the other. It takes about 45 minutes to get up to Taormina and then you have to walk 500m or so from the bus parking lot. The Greek Theatre alone in Taormina is worth a couple of hours' visit... so I think one or the other in an afternoon but not both!

It depends on what the verb "do" means to you in this context.

With a professional driver who knows where they are going, round trip without stops is about three to three and a half hours on the road (going all the way to Rifugio Sapienza). You can, of course, not go quite so far and simply get a view and some pictures of Etna.

If you want to get out of the car and do anything, you'll probably need to choose either one destination or the other, or accept that your stops will be very short.

The reason I want to go to Etna is because it's an active volcano. I don't have to do hardcore climbing -- it's enough that I've been there and experienced a part of it. As for Taormina, I've read that the amphitheatre is awesome, but it is a ruin, and I can see ruins and pretty scenery elsewhere in Europe. That's where I'm coming from.

Sicily Life would not go to both in a half-day trip. So I'm going to try emailing Mario Astone. If he can't do it either, I'll just have to go with the ship's excursion to Etna.

Thanks for your advice, all.

Taormina is one of the prettiest towns in Italy. I love just walking around there and looking at the views. The amphitheater is great to tour as well. It seems as if you would be rushed to do both, but of course that is up to you.

You could do both and just run from place to place. If it was me I would do one and it would be Taormina. I agree with bunzini that Taromina is one of the pretties towns in Italy and one of the prettiest towns we have visited. I would head over there and spend the afternoon there.

Keith

It would be very rushed to do both in such a short time. You could but you wouldn't really have time to properly enjoy either. Taormina is a lovely town and the view from the amphitheatre is spectacular but Mount Etna is amazing. Absolutely amazing. I've visited other volcanoes before but they pale in comparison. After spending a couple hours on an excursion there I want to go back and spend a couple days there to really explore. It's so impressive. So, that would without a doubt be what I would choose. But I'm more into outdoors nature type experiences so my view may be a little biased.

I booked a private excursion that will go to both. I'm not really into outdoor adventures nor strolling about in towns, so spending a little time in both is perfect for me. :)

pablomontoya, thanks for Mario's email. I booked my excursion with him.

Archived