Cairns

thied

coral princess is at wharf3 today 11/07/0210.

MALU TROJAN is wharf2 today.

NEWCASTLE BAY is at wharf 8 tomorrow.

HMAS WOLLONGONG is wharf 11 naval wharf.

NEWCASTLE BAY is wharf 8 on monday.

HMAS CHILDERS is at wharf 12 monday.

NEWCASTLE BAY is at wharf 8 on monday.

ALEXANDER SPIRIT is at wharf 10 tuesday.

and so on and so on wharfs 1-5 are hardly used and the same as wharfs 2 and 3

Why is it that the cruise line dont berth in Cairns.

Is it because of the filming of sea patrol?

My understanding is that it is a very long and shallow channel to get into Cairns. It is also very narrow and requires a great deal of care . I seem to recall one cruise ship, (was it Regal Princess, now Pacific Dawn ?), veered off slighty and damaged the propellor.

My understanding is that it is a very long and shallow channel to get into Cairns. It is also very narrow and requires a great deal of care . I seem to recall one cruise ship, (was it Regal Princess, now Pacific Dawn ?), veered off slighty and damaged the propellor.

David, I remember reading the same thing on these boards, so I went looking for the thread containing that information & other discussions on berthing at Cairns.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1120817&highlight=cairns&page=3

Here is the link to the report into the Regal Princess grounding.

www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/MAIR/pdf/mair166_001.pdf

I agree with a lot of other people that it would be good to see more Cruise Ships berth alongside Cairns as opposed to tendering off Yorkeys Knob.

Regards

Alan

I read thrpugh some of the link to the other thread and noticed that the reason the P&O ships don't dock in Cairns is because the water channel is not quite deep enough, and is rather narrow too. So some ships could risk damage.

So.. if Cairns has the port facilities, why does it not dredge, in order to widen and deepen the channel slightly?

This is what has been done in Melbourne-to some protest I have to admit-and it doesn't seem to have done any damage to the bay.

Cairns is on so many cruise itineraries, it would make sense to have a more viable port. The trouble with tendering is that in any rough weather, a destination might be scrubbed off the list and bypassed because it is too rough for the tenders, whereas the ship may have been able to dock at a port.

As has been said, the channel into Trinity Wharf is very shallow.

Pacific Sun is the only P&O ship operating in Australia at the moment that can access Trinity Wharf. Pacific Star and Pacific Sky had been able to get in.

I suspect the associated problems of anchoring at Yorkey's Knob and tendering and transferring passengers into the City is why, when Pacific Dawn started operating out of Brisbane, the number of Qld Coastal Cruises dropped.

Rhapsody of the Seas was given special permission to enter in the Harbour earlier in the year, after the Captain did some special training on a simulator in Tasmania.

David, I remember reading the same thing on these boards, so I went looking for the thread containing that information & other discussions on berthing at Cairns.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1120817&highlight=cairns&page=3

Here is the link to the report into the Regal Princess grounding.

www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/MAIR/pdf/mair166_001.pdf

I agree with a lot of other people that it would be good to see more Cruise Ships berth alongside Cairns as opposed to tendering off Yorkeys Knob.

Regards

Alan

This link that is posted above http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/MAIR/pdf/mair166_001.pdf

on page three in the report said this

Leica DGPS (Differential Global Positioning

System) systems. The bridge has full bridge

control of propulsion motors and thrusters. Also

fitted are a Broadgate model 2000 Voyage Data

Recorder and a ship simulator. The ship

simulator is capable of simulating the ship’s

handling characteristics in various situations,

ports and weather conditions.

This port was in 2001

Archived