First Visit to Nassau - Looking for any advice!

HopHarry

Hello, all!

I know there are several threads on things to see in Nassau, but they seem to be focused on specific excursions or sightseeing activities.

I'll be in Nassau for the first time next month (on the Monarch of the Seas with RCI) along with my husband and my parents - what should we do???

We don't want to do an excursion, because they seem a bit pricey. We love snorkeling and sightseeing, but I don't want to take everyone to a bad area of town (my mother would never let me live it down...) Should we head out on our own walking tour, should we get a day pass to a beach, or is it really imperative that we book an excursion?

Thank you so much for all of your help! :D

I would not go sight seeing on my own. There are several posts and a news story on this board warning about Nassau. The crime rate is up some have said stay on the ship while others do not seem concerned other than to say do not tour on your own. We are going in a couple of weeks and are going to do the Straw market and then get back on the ship. Will go snorkeling in Freeport then scuba dive in Key West.

Hello, all!

I know there are several threads on things to see in Nassau, but they seem to be focused on specific excursions or sightseeing activities.

I'll be in Nassau for the first time next month (on the Monarch of the Seas with RCI) along with my husband and my parents - what should we do???

We don't want to do an excursion, because they seem a bit pricey. We love snorkeling and sightseeing, but I don't want to take everyone to a bad area of town (my mother would never let me live it down...) Should we head out on our own walking tour, should we get a day pass to a beach, or is it really imperative that we book an excursion?

Thank you so much for all of your help! :D

Sightseeing around downtown and the forts is quite safe these days. there's a walking tour on frommers that should give you some good ideas. Just do it in day light and don't start before 8:30am or so.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

If you are not up to walking.. then a day pass to one of the beaches would be fine.

British Colonial Hilton is nearby and costs $55pp with a $30 lunch voucher.

Wyndham at Cable Beach is $40 and has a buffet lunch included

Sheraton is $25 pp and has 3 nice pools, a great beach and snorkeling from shore.

No need to book an excursion in Nassau, unless you need to take a boat somewhere.

How about hiring a driver to take you to all the sightseeing spots? It's a great way to see a lot of the island and your driver can customize your tour for your interests. It's likely to be very hot in August so the walking tour might not be that enjoyable. Do a search on island tours and you'll find recommendations for drivers.

Hi everyone - we are also travelling to Nassau for the first time - in October. It will be myself, my husband and our 2 boys - 8 & 10. My thought is Pirates of Nassau museum, Fort Fincatsle/Queen's Staircase. Then I'm also wondering if we'd have time for a dolphin encounter (for my 10 year) and/or a carriage ride. Can anyone tell me if all this is in walking distance? I believe the fort and queen are about a 10 minute walk? How far is the museum from that? I'd also love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Hi everyone - we are also travelling to Nassau for the first time - in October. It will be myself, my husband and our 2 boys - 8 & 10. My thought is Pirates of Nassau museum, Fort Fincatsle/Queen's Staircase. Then I'm also wondering if we'd have time for a dolphin encounter (for my 10 year) and/or a carriage ride. Can anyone tell me if all this is in walking distance? I believe the fort and queen are about a 10 minute walk? How far is the museum from that? I'd also love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!!

You can hit all the history in the town area in a day.I would go up to the Fort and water tower first.Then back down to the staircase and back through the shopping area which will end by the museum.Their is another fort [Fort Charlotte I believe] down about a mile or so but it may be a little walk for the kids.We have been there several times and have always felt safe during the day as it is a very busy area.Carriage ride is a rip off.We did it and the boy helping us to get in ask if we wanted our picture taken.We said yes he took our camera,took our picture and then ask for $2.00 for doing it.I gave it to him because he had done such a good job of conning us. We thought it was funny but the ride only went about 25 or 30 blocks.

Sightseeing around downtown and the forts is quite safe these days. there's a walking tour on frommers that should give you some good ideas. Just do it in day light and don't start before 8:30am or so.

If you are not up to walking.. then a day pass to one of the beaches would be fine.

Sheraton is $25 pp and has 3 nice pools, a great beach and snorkeling from shore.

No need to book an excursion in Nassau, unless you need to take a boat somewhere.

Thanks for the link!! We were in Nassau in April (with my family) and we did a van-type tour.... from one of the guys that's peddling them as you get off the ship. It was worth the $22 we paid for the tour... but was thinking of doing something different with my sister. Plus we didn't get to "look" as much as we'd like to of due to the speed (literally he drove like a maniac) and limited time we had.

Hi everyone -. Then I'm also wondering if we'd have time for a dolphin encounter (for my 10 year) and/or a carriage ride. quote]

Hi!

Just wanted to chime in. We did the Dolphin encounter through RCI back during Thanksgiving 2007. The boat docked around lunch and left like 7 or 8 maybe?

Anyways, the meet time was like 1? The tour operator picked us up and put us on this boat where we stopped at 2 other places before we were on the way to the Dolphin Encounter. Each stop was like 20-25 minutes. Totally unexpected.

The Dolphin encounter was great and we enjoyed it, but it was a little annoying to have to waste about 2 hours of our time picking up/dropping off other passengers (who told us how much LESS they paid than we did).

By the time we got back to where the boat was, we saw the restaurant (maybe a senor frogs) next to the straw market. At this point we were STARVING. We ate dinner then had our sites set on looking in the straw market. And to our amazement, everyone was closing up!!! We had like 2-3 hours maybe left until we had to get on the ship (from what I can remember), and everyone was closing because the sun was setting. I was disappointed. I am not one to put on airs, so cheap knock-off purses were fine by me.

I don't know how long your ship is in port, but the Dolphin encounter took up the better part of our afternoon. Just wanted to give you our experience. My daughter was 7 at the time and she loved the dolphins.

Shawn in AK

Hi everyone -. Then I'm also wondering if we'd have time for a dolphin encounter (for my 10 year) and/or a carriage ride. quote]

Hi!

Just wanted to chime in. We did the Dolphin encounter through RCI back during Thanksgiving 2007. The boat docked around lunch and left like 7 or 8 maybe?

Anyways, the meet time was like 1? The tour operator picked us up and put us on this boat where we stopped at 2 other places before we were on the way to the Dolphin Encounter. Each stop was like 20-25 minutes. Totally unexpected.

The Dolphin encounter was great and we enjoyed it, but it was a little annoying to have to waste about 2 hours of our time picking up/dropping off other passengers (who told us how much LESS they paid than we did).

By the time we got back to where the boat was, we saw the restaurant (maybe a senor frogs) next to the straw market. At this point we were STARVING. We ate dinner then had our sites set on looking in the straw market. And to our amazement, everyone was closing up!!! We had like 2-3 hours maybe left until we had to get on the ship (from what I can remember), and everyone was closing because the sun was setting. I was disappointed. I am not one to put on airs, so cheap knock-off purses were fine by me.

I don't know how long your ship is in port, but the Dolphin encounter took up the better part of our afternoon. Just wanted to give you our experience. My daughter was 7 at the time and she loved the dolphins.

Shawn in AK

I would love for my 10 year old to do the dolphin encounter but our visit will be short - 8:30-2.

I would not go sight seeing on my own. There are several posts and a news story on this board warning about Nassau. The crime rate is up some have said stay on the ship while others do not seem concerned other than to say do not tour on your own. We are going in a couple of weeks and are going to do the Straw market and then get back on the ship. Will go snorkeling in Freeport then scuba dive in Key West.

My daughter and I did parts of the walking tour last month. I am in my late 40's, DD 20. We never once felt unsafe. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and stay to the more travelled/tourist areas duing daylight hours you are fine. No need to worry.

I would love for my 10 year old to do the dolphin encounter but our visit will be short - 8:30-2.

I would say it is either the dolpin swim or the sightseeing. It would be too stressful IMO to try to do both. Another option is the Zoo. When DD and I did our 'walking tour' we hit the highlights, then took a taxi to Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. It was a delightful surprise. Is it like the Bronx or Philadelpia Zoo, no, but it is a great place to spend some time. We then walked back to the Fish Fry for lunch (just down the hill from zoo)and then walked back to the port area along the beach. We were probably in town from about 10:30 to 3:30 (that also included a quick run through the straw market!). Of course, we were not there on a ship so on our timetable but it was enough for us, got a little tast of all of it.

My daughter and I did parts of the walking tour last month. I am in my late 40's, DD 20. We never once felt unsafe. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and stay to the more travelled/tourist areas duing daylight hours you are fine. No need to worry.

I would say it is either the dolpin swim or the sightseeing. It would be too stressful IMO to try to do both. Another option is the Zoo. When DD and I did our 'walking tour' we hit the highlights, then took a taxi to Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. It was a delightful surprise. Is it like the Bronx or Philadelpia Zoo, no, but it is a great place to spend some time. We then walked back to the Fish Fry for lunch (just down the hill from zoo)and then walked back to the port area along the beach. We were probably in town from about 10:30 to 3:30 (that also included a quick run through the straw market!). Of course, we were not there on a ship so on our timetable but it was enough for us, got a little tast of all of it.

I am thinking atleast part of the walking tour and one of the free beaches. Of course everytime I think I have it figured out......LOL

Thanks!!

We did the Pirates of Nassau Museum a few years back. The kids ages were 3, 3, 8 and 10.....all the kids were pretty freaked out in the museum. The adults enjoyed it, but we left with a few crying kids at the end. It is quite dark and mixing that with some eerie displays, caused the tears I suppose. I am sure it would be fine for your boys' ages, but the younger ones were a bit overwhelmed. Have fun!

How do we book a day pass to the beaches you listed above that include lunch? Have you done them all? Which is your favorite? Thank you

How do we book a day pass to the beaches you listed above that include lunch? Have you done them all? Which is your favorite? Thank you

Yes, I've done them all.

As for a favorite.. the Hilton is mine, but I like quiet and relaxing, with no distractions. I can chill on the beach, read a book, or relax in a hammock..

The others are great as well. Especially if you have someone who needs to be busy. Sheraton has got 3 pools, great beach, snorkeling, water trikes and kayaks, bar and grill etc.

Wyndham is great for kids as well.

Wyndham will be closed from late August until Oct 5th this year. So it may be off the radar for some.

Scubagirrl

We will be in Nassau in Dec, is still warm enough to go to the beach, and how long is the straw market open in Dec. We are there from 12 to 10 and not sure if we can do both.

thanks

December weather can be quite nice unless a cold front comes in. Especially in early Dec. The water is still warm.. if the weather holds, you can get a nice beach day.

As for the straw market. Dec is the shortest days of the year and get's dark around 5pm. Straw markets will begin closing around 4:45 and be shut down tight by 5.

December weather can be quite nice unless a cold front comes in. Especially in early Dec. The water is still warm.. if the weather holds, you can get a nice beach day.

As for the straw market. Dec is the shortest days of the year and get's dark around 5pm. Straw markets will begin closing around 4:45 and be shut down tight by 5.

Thanks

That was my concern that things would close up early. What would you recomend to do between 5-10pm??

Thanks

That was my concern that things would close up early. What would you recomend to do between 5-10pm??

There's always senor frogs if your a party person.

Hilton has a nice "havana night" party on Thursday Nights.

Green parrot has music on the weekends.

Marina Village has shops and music in the courtyard.

I am looking into this day pass at the Sheraton. Can anyone tell me if they have jet skis for rent there? Or is there another resort that has them available?

Sheraton has independent jet ski vendors on the beach. you can negotiate rates.

Breezes has them as well.

• 1 month later...

We will be docked from 8-midnight. I want to do the sea lion encounter. I also wanted to stay at the Blue Lagoon and swim for a while. But if we get the 4 p.m. ferry back it sounds like we won't be able to hit the straw market. I have to take a taxi to Paradise Island and be there by 10 for the 10:30 ferry. Will I have any time to go to the market before I go to Blue Lagoon. And if I do I then have to carry that stuff with me to the Blue Lagoon. I assume that wouldn't be good. I am now stuck. Do I stay at the Blue Lagoon til 4 and enjoy there or come back to the straw market? Is there any shopping like that at the Blue Lagoon? Is there any in Coco Cay? Which the weather may not let us into Coco Cay.

Archived