Black Pearls?

kootz

I know much has been written but my eyes are going crazy trying to read all the posts. Going on the TP in November (Cook Islands) and need opinions about where to buy pearls. I am not looking for fancy, very casual. I will also be looking for Xmas gifts. Any help would be appreciated... If anyone can share their pearl pictures of what they bought that would be fun...Thanks

are you going on the Tahitian Princess? I found the best prices for very nice-not perfect or expensive- pearls at the dock where the tenders go on Moorea. I found beautiful designs and several different colors. I wish I would have bought more than I did.

Best place to buy black pearls for gifts would be on Roratunga, they use the New Zealand currency and the exchange rate is much much better, they also take U.S. dollars. Thankfully we were able to get ashore before they stopped tendering because of rough conditions and were able to get to the shops. Lots of shops just to the left of the pier and down about 2 blocks. Enjoy!

Well, they had all different prices on Roratunga. I had a pair of black pearl earrings I was trying to match up as I wanted a pendant to go with it. I think it ended up costing me around $60-$70 for a single pearl drilled for a pendant that matches almost exactly for color and shape. But there were lots to be had at all different prices, most depended on the quality of the pearl. Bet you could find a loose pearl that they could drill for you for about $25-$35 if you look in the shops and aren't real picky on the shape and color of the pearl. They would make great gifts without a lot of investment.

They also have better quality pearls if you are wanting them for yourself, but for gifts, it will all depend on the shops you look at.

These pearls can run from $25-$5000 but all will depend on the quality and where you purchase them. We found the shops in Rarotunga to have the best prices available.

Also the Marche upstairs sold loose pearls that were fairly reasonable, but you will get a $1 to $1 rate there if not less depending on how the exchange is running when you visit.

Be aware that there are a lot of fake black pearls. They are the inexpensive ones sold at the piers and in some shops. They grind up the Mother of Pearl, mix it with an epoxy and put it in a mold, They look very much like real pearls and even have some imperfections but are usually much shinier. You are much better off going to a large jewelry shop like Hermann's or buying them at home. Good Black Pearls are not cheaper in FP. The fake pearls are actually pretty and make some nice inexpensive gifts as long as you know what you're buying. There is an extensive post on the Radisson board by Ngaire that is very informative. If you do a search you should find it.

Ngaire's report was written a couple of years ago. That's probably why it didn't come up in your search. She wrote it from the perspective of a passenger on RSSC Paul Gauguin so the specific shop information pertains to the ports she visited. As you will notice, her main focus is on good quality pearls. Here is the full report:

BLACK PEARL SHOPPING

Black Pearl shopping is available in numerous shops in Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti. I did not have an opportunity to shop in Tahiti and cannot report on the shops in Papeete. They are basically the same shops on all the islands.

BORA BORA

In Bora Bora most of the shops are right off the dock within walking distance from where the tender drops you at the pier. Some of these shops also have shops on Moorea and will transfer any pearl you have an interest in to the Moorea shop so you may have more time to make a decision. (The store flies the pearl in on one of the flights going back and forth all the time.)

MOOREA

When you get off the tender in Moorea, there are private drivers from many of the pearl shops waiting in the parking lot, and they will take you to the pearl shops free of charge.

Price of the Pearls. Price for one pearl varies tremendously, as low as $200 and up to the $1000’s. The average cost for a nice pearl set in gold with maybe one small diamond is $1500-$2000.

Key stores for black pearls and comparing shops. One thing I did learn was that the prices and colors really do differ. It is probably best to shop at several places to find your own personal preference and what prices are. Many of the shops were willing to negotiate on final price. Many people bought pearls and everyone thought “their” shop was the best. Many feel that the price of black pearls is cheaper in French Polynesia because the majority of them (over 95%) are produced here. There are certain criteria that most of the shops agree determine the price of the pearl: size, shape, surface quality, and luster.

Black Pearl Gem Company in La Petite Village: has such a taxi and there are also other pearl shops and souvenir shops you can visit while you're there, and they will transport you back to the dock free of charge. It takes approximately 30 minutes in each direction or 1 hour round trip, so plan accordingly.

Hermans: La Petite Village: We found really good prices here this last trip. I recommend you checking this store. They are “supposed” to be wholesalers.

Sibani Pearls is the store that has pearls on the ship. The store does a presentation board that gives you information and shows a film. This takes place the second day at 9:45am in the main lounge on the way to Taha'a. However, it is a sales pitch for their stores and their certificate “The Beep Certificate.” This is a good store, as are the others mentioned above. As I mention below, they all have their own certificates. (Kathy editing here to say that in 2004 the boutique on the ship had changed to the Black Pearl Gem Company.) Shopping center to the left of the docks. Walking distance or free shuttles.

Ron Hall’s store is to the left of the parking lot. It is about a 5-minute walk or he also has a free shuttle.

Hevai’s store is about a 15- minute walk to the right or they have a free shuttle.

PSBP – Pacific Style Black Pearls. This store has some really unique designs. They do their own jewelry and there were unique pieces in this shop.

Telling one pearl from another.

Size: 8-10 mm seem to be more common; those above 11 mm rise dramatically in price because they are more rare.

Shape: The more rare and more expensive shape is round. Semi-round or other shapes are less expensive.

Grading: Black pearls are graded for surface quality using a scale from A to D. An “A grade” pearl is supposed to have less than 10% surface imperfections and in many instances cannot be seen because they mount them where the imperfections are. A “B grade” is less than 1/3, “C grade” less than 2/3, and a “D grade” more than 2/3. I found that you have to somewhat judge for yourself. I was shown a pearl from a very popular shop where the salesperson stated it was an “A”, and when I began to point out the flaws, he agreed it was a “B” which can greatly effect the price. Then a bought a “C” that looked better than the “B”.

Luster: Luster is simply the shine on the pearl. This is easy to determine just by placing pearls side by side. Some seem lifeless and others really shine.

Color: There is no one color seen to be more desirable. This is really a matter of personal preference. Pearls are often multicolored with metallic steel gray the most common. The color is determined by the oyster’s secretions and can range from gray to pink to blue to green or eggplant.

Certificates. Every shop has its own certificates. There is no government standard, so the certificate simply states that it is a black pearl and that particular shop’s certification as to the quality and size of the pearl. Since there is no standard, there is no certificate that is better than another.

VAT TAX (Value Added Tax). There is a tax called VAT that you pay at the time of purchase. The shop will give you a certificate and a self-addressed stamped envelope you take to the airport. You turn it in at the airport right after you go through security before you check your bags. There is a customs officer you give the certificate to. The Customs Officer will ask to see the pearl so make sure you have it readily available and don’t have to search for it in your luggage. He simply looks at the pearl and certificate, stamps the form, and you place the envelope in the mailbox he directs you to there at the airport. Three to four weeks after the purchase, the tax will be credited or refunded to your credit card.

Getting the VAT tax up front. I found several shops were willing to refund the tax at the point of purchase if you would commit to following the procedure at the airport so they would not in essence pay twice. At the shop I finally purchased from I was not offered this, but asked if they would refund it at point of sale. He was very reluctant but when I told him he would have my credit card and could charge me if I did not turn the form in, he finally agreed and did not charge me the tax at the time of sale. Either way, you still have to turn the form in at the airport. It did not take much time since I had the form and pearl together and got right through.

Loose Pearls or Set Pearls? If you purchase a pearl that has not been set, then you do not get the VAT tax back – it is non-refundable. On the other hand, the gold and diamonds are overpriced in Tahiti and the cost is higher than you would pay at home for the setting. Most people still seemed to buy set pearls – it is easier and you can wear it right away. There were a lot of pearls at dinner the last night leaving Moorea. In the end, it all boils down to what you like and when you feel comfortable with your purchase. Many people purchase pearls and they truly are all beautiful.

Thanks for the wonderfully informative report. I do have one question, if anyone knows.... Is she talking $200 US Dollars for one pearl? and $1500 to $2000 for a pearl send in gold??? I too, would like a souvenir, but would be afraid to spend that kind of money for something I really know nothing about, if $200 is the cheapest. Seems to be a lot higher than some of the other info on the board.

Thanks,

Laura

At Sibani in Le Pahia Shopping Center on Bora Bora I purchased 2 - 717.5mm A/B quality greenish gray pearls that I had set with 18K gold as plain stud earrings and a 9mm A quality greenish gray pearl in a simple 18K pendant setting. Total cost in US dollars charged to my credit card turned out to be $1,017.80. The sales girl had figured my final cost would be $1050.00 US so I was pleased with the outcome.

I made my purchase after looking at a lot of pearls at several shops. Although several people were pleased with the more flawed pearls they purchased from various vendors I was strongly attracted to the higher quality pearls and the green ones in particular (they match my eyes). Fortunately I am happy with simple settings and relatively small size in jewelry.

If you are looking for gifts for a younger set, there were several vendors in Moorea selling funky, modern necklaces made from black mother of pearl shell in $30-60 price range. I purchased a triple circle necklace on a silk cord with an irregular black pearl in the middle (sorry, don't have a picture) for $45. It is really very well made with smooth edges and lovely luster. Since I have been wearing it, I have received many compliments. Now I wish I bough another one in a lighter color or different shape.

On all the islands there are vendors selling really inexpensive necklaces made from the black shell cut into different shapes. They were in $10-20 range.

Happy Shopping !

Again- beware very inexpensive black pearls. They most likely are not real but "manufactured" but they are very pretty. The Mother of Pearl pendants that are sold by vendors at the piers, etc are really very nice. I bought several as gifts and ended up keeping them. Real "A" black pearls are very expensive. I bought a single 12 mm A pearl-unset for $380. at Hermann's in Bora Bora. If you really want to splurge- Hermann's had a necklace of pale lavender 18-20mm black pearls for $50,000. Maybe they still have it.You may want to check with a fine jewelry store in your home town or visit some jewelry websites to get an idea of prices. My husband bought me a pair of peacock green black pearl earrings here at home for less than we could have gotten them for in FP.

Ngaire's report was written a couple of years ago. That's probably why it didn't come up in your search. She wrote it from the perspective of a passenger on RSSC Paul Gauguin so the specific shop information pertains to the ports she visited. As you will notice, her main focus is on good quality pearls. Here is the full report:

BLACK PEARL SHOPPING

Black Pearl shopping is available in numerous shops in Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti. I did not have an opportunity to shop in Tahiti and cannot report on the shops in Papeete. They are basically the same shops on all the islands.

BORA BORA

In Bora Bora most of the shops are right off the dock within walking distance from where the tender drops you at the pier. Some of these shops also have shops on Moorea and will transfer any pearl you have an interest in to the Moorea shop so you may have more time to make a decision. (The store flies the pearl in on one of the flights going back and forth all the time.)

MOOREA

When you get off the tender in Moorea, there are private drivers from many of the pearl shops waiting in the parking lot, and they will take you to the pearl shops free of charge.

Price of the Pearls. Price for one pearl varies tremendously, as low as $200 and up to the $1000’s. The average cost for a nice pearl set in gold with maybe one small diamond is $1500-$2000.

Key stores for black pearls and comparing shops. One thing I did learn was that the prices and colors really do differ. It is probably best to shop at several places to find your own personal preference and what prices are. Many of the shops were willing to negotiate on final price. Many people bought pearls and everyone thought “their” shop was the best. Many feel that the price of black pearls is cheaper in French Polynesia because the majority of them (over 95%) are produced here. There are certain criteria that most of the shops agree determine the price of the pearl: size, shape, surface quality, and luster.

Black Pearl Gem Company in La Petite Village: has such a taxi and there are also other pearl shops and souvenir shops you can visit while you're there, and they will transport you back to the dock free of charge. It takes approximately 30 minutes in each direction or 1 hour round trip, so plan accordingly.

Hermans: La Petite Village: We found really good prices here this last trip. I recommend you checking this store. They are “supposed” to be wholesalers.

Sibani Pearls is the store that has pearls on the ship. The store does a presentation board that gives you information and shows a film. This takes place the second day at 9:45am in the main lounge on the way to Taha'a. However, it is a sales pitch for their stores and their certificate “The Beep Certificate.” This is a good store, as are the others mentioned above. As I mention below, they all have their own certificates. (Kathy editing here to say that in 2004 the boutique on the ship had changed to the Black Pearl Gem Company.) Shopping center to the left of the docks. Walking distance or free shuttles.

Ron Hall’s store is to the left of the parking lot. It is about a 5-minute walk or he also has a free shuttle.

Hevai’s store is about a 15- minute walk to the right or they have a free shuttle.

PSBP – Pacific Style Black Pearls. This store has some really unique designs. They do their own jewelry and there were unique pieces in this shop.

Telling one pearl from another.

Size: 8-10 mm seem to be more common; those above 11 mm rise dramatically in price because they are more rare.

Shape: The more rare and more expensive shape is round. Semi-round or other shapes are less expensive.

Grading: Black pearls are graded for surface quality using a scale from A to D. An “A grade” pearl is supposed to have less than 10% surface imperfections and in many instances cannot be seen because they mount them where the imperfections are. A “B grade” is less than 1/3, “C grade” less than 2/3, and a “D grade” more than 2/3. I found that you have to somewhat judge for yourself. I was shown a pearl from a very popular shop where the salesperson stated it was an “A”, and when I began to point out the flaws, he agreed it was a “B” which can greatly effect the price. Then a bought a “C” that looked better than the “B”.

Luster: Luster is simply the shine on the pearl. This is easy to determine just by placing pearls side by side. Some seem lifeless and others really shine.

Color: There is no one color seen to be more desirable. This is really a matter of personal preference. Pearls are often multicolored with metallic steel gray the most common. The color is determined by the oyster’s secretions and can range from gray to pink to blue to green or eggplant.

Certificates. Every shop has its own certificates. There is no government standard, so the certificate simply states that it is a black pearl and that particular shop’s certification as to the quality and size of the pearl. Since there is no standard, there is no certificate that is better than another.

VAT TAX (Value Added Tax). There is a tax called VAT that you pay at the time of purchase. The shop will give you a certificate and a self-addressed stamped envelope you take to the airport. You turn it in at the airport right after you go through security before you check your bags. There is a customs officer you give the certificate to. The Customs Officer will ask to see the pearl so make sure you have it readily available and don’t have to search for it in your luggage. He simply looks at the pearl and certificate, stamps the form, and you place the envelope in the mailbox he directs you to there at the airport. Three to four weeks after the purchase, the tax will be credited or refunded to your credit card.

Getting the VAT tax up front. I found several shops were willing to refund the tax at the point of purchase if you would commit to following the procedure at the airport so they would not in essence pay twice. At the shop I finally purchased from I was not offered this, but asked if they would refund it at point of sale. He was very reluctant but when I told him he would have my credit card and could charge me if I did not turn the form in, he finally agreed and did not charge me the tax at the time of sale. Either way, you still have to turn the form in at the airport. It did not take much time since I had the form and pearl together and got right through.

Loose Pearls or Set Pearls? If you purchase a pearl that has not been set, then you do not get the VAT tax back – it is non-refundable. On the other hand, the gold and diamonds are overpriced in Tahiti and the cost is higher than you would pay at home for the setting. Most people still seemed to buy set pearls – it is easier and you can wear it right away. There were a lot of pearls at dinner the last night leaving Moorea. In the end, it all boils down to what you like and when you feel comfortable with your purchase. Many people purchase pearls and they truly are all beautiful.

Wow - thanks for the info Kathy Z. Much appreciated!

It's always good to know these things before you get there and get taken advantage of.

Thanks so much.

Cheers!

I think if you stay with the Basic Studs and pendants without any additional gold or diamonds then the FP might be comparable in price as US, but i dont think youll get any deals in FP. Black Pearl Gem co has a web site . www.blackpearlgemco.com Notice that most on the jewery has alot more gold and diamond accents than just plain studs or a simple single pendant in gold mount. From what ive seen on HSN and at Macys you will probably do better buying in US, in some instances quit a bit better. I suggest a little research on prices so you will know if what you purchase is at a fair price before you leave. I think i would pay just a small bit more to say i bought it in FP but not much more.

Eric

I highly recommend Black Pearl Gem Co. in Moorea. Besides the free transport they offer, they have an amazing selection of set and loos pearls. They will educate you on the pearls, show you a wide variety of pearls in your price range, and help you pick out something that's right for you. :) We had a lower price range (under $200) and I was able to find a beautiful teardrop shaped pearl with a wonderful peacock color too it. It has everything from the teals to the pinks. Because I wanted a pearl that would work well as a pendant on a strand of pearls (I had it set on a clip) or on a simple chain, the pearl was exactly what I was looking for. And less expensive because I wasn't looking for a perfectly round one. Black Pearls are duty free if you buy one set or have the jeweler set it. Keep in mind, gold is much more expensive in Tahiti so you might come out better buying a loose pearl.

Pearl prices will be lowest in Tahiti, and then Moorea. the islands that are farther out such as Bora Bora tend to charge a little more.

Have fun in your purchase! My pearl is a great reminder of our fabulous trip to French Polynesia. While you can find inexpensive black pearls here in the US, I found that the color is just unbeatable in Tahiti, for the price anyhow. And most of all, you'll have a beautiful reminder of your vacation every time you wear it.

Archived