TSA limit of 1 carryon from foreign countries?

macdaman

Was researching something else and came across this::confused:

"New TSA rules for airline passengers entering the U.S. from foreign countries limit carry-on items to just one bag (with the notable exception of Canada, which only allows one small personal item). Travelers now have to rethink their packing strategies. The days when travelers could avoid checked baggage fees by carrying everything onto the airplane are gone, at least for now.

If you travel with a laptop, purse and camera, you will now have to fit those items into a single carry-on bag, along with all the other items you typically pack. So, how will you decide what to carry onto the airplane and what to put into your checked bag?

If you're not sure about airport security requirements, err on the side of caution and assume you will have to put everything but your coat into your carry-on luggage if you want to bring it on the airplane."

We'll be flying into Vancouver from the states. Is there any reciprocal rule limiting one carry-on entering Canada from the US? We're coming back from Anchorage so there shouldn't be any problem on that leg. It's just that we were counting on the one carry-on and one personal item rule we see on domestic flights. We have multiple cameras, laptop, etc. and want to make sure it doesn't get checked for obvious reasons. Thanks - Mark & Terri

When did this go into effect? I recall that Canada has a temporary restriction in place for carry-ons several months ago and assumed it had expired. You may want to double-check this information. Most airlines do have a restriction to one carry-on bag. . . plus your handbag. Some airlines are very strict about this -- others, not so much.

I don't know why TSA has any say in the matter.

From the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority you are allowed two, although specific airlines may restrict more, so check with your airline.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=78&pname=carryonbaggage_bagagedecabine&lang=en

In addition to the two, you are also allowed some other items.

I'm not sure when this went into effect, but I traveled internationally (to and from the US) in April and was not limited to one carry on. Last time I flew to/from Canada was October and could also have my computer bag plus a purse or other small bag, but that was last year, so not sure if that has changed. Which airline are you traveling on? I did not get charged for a checked bag on Air Canada but if I had booked the same flight (still on an Air Canada plane) on United (codeshare), the website said I'd have to pay for a checked bag...so if you want to check a bag, try all options with the codeshares - maybe you can at least get a free checked bag.

I don't know why TSA has any say in the matter.

My question was whether CA has similar restrictions.

To the other responder suggesting that these restrictions have been lifted - that's the wonder of the inter-tubes. Lots of things get posted that don't later get updated.

The TSA site currently suggests that extra security directives may be used and that "For security reasons, the specific details of the directives are not public." I realize that I won't be flying from a foreign country into the US. My post, maybe not specific enough, was to determine whether my fellow travelers have experienced any problems in this area when flying from the US into Canada.

"New TSA rules for airline passengers entering the U.S. from foreign countries limit carry-on items to just one bag (with the notable exception of Canada, which only allows one small personal item). Travelers now have to rethink their packing strategies. The days when travelers could avoid checked baggage fees by carrying everything onto the airplane are gone, at least for now.

If you travel with a laptop, purse and camera, you will now have to fit those items into a single carry-on bag, along with all the other items you typically pack. So, how will you decide what to carry onto the airplane and what to put into your checked bag?

If you're not sure about airport security requirements, err on the side of caution and assume you will have to put everything but your coat into your carry-on luggage if you want to bring it on the airplane."

We'll be flying into Vancouver from the states. Is there any reciprocal rule limiting one carry-on entering Canada from the US? We're coming back from Anchorage so there shouldn't be any problem on that leg. It's just that we were counting on the one carry-on and one personal item rule we see on domestic flights. We have multiple cameras, laptop, etc. and want to make sure it doesn't get checked for obvious reasons. Thanks - Mark & Terri

Please post the URL from where you read this. Was it on the current TSA web site. If not it might be from the time when there were other restrictions in place.

I just went to the TSA web site and don't see this and I just went to the American Airlines web site and don't see it either.

Where did you see this?

Keith

Please post the URL from where you read this. Was it on the current TSA web site. If not it might be from the time when there were other restrictions in place.

I just went to the TSA web site and don't see this and I just went to the American Airlines web site and don't see it either.

Where did you see this?

Keith

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/airtravel/qt/CarryOnLuggage.htm

The problem with what you have just posted is that there is absolutely no date mentioned. I suspect it is old news and not current news.

We flew home from London end of April and these restrictions were not in place.

I just went to the airline web site and to the TSA web site and this is not mentioned.

I would double check this because I think you have posted somethng that is not current.

Keith

Where did you see this?

Keith

I've often found that the information on the 'about.com' site is outdated.

This is what is currently on Continental Airline's website:

For all flights departing from international locations

Traveling to the U.S.

Carry-on Baggage Restrictions:

Departing from No. of Bags Size Weight

All locations 1 bag and 1 personal item 45 linear in or 114 cm (L+W+H) 40 lbs or 18 kg

*The United Kingdom revised its policy on carry-on bag restrictions for several airports, including Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London Gatwick, London Heathrow and Manchester. These airports no longer restrict customers to one carry-on item per person..

(*NOTE: Continental's carry on policy is more liberal than most in terms of allowed carry on weight.)

My most recent trip to the US was in April (on Continental), and we were allowed 2 carry on bags (and many people brought on 2 carry on suitcases, instead of 1 bag + 1 personal item, without a problem). From what I've just copied from the website, travelers from Canada (or anywhere in the world) will not be restricted to only one carry on bag.

I guess it is possible that individual airlines will restrict travelers to one bag. I know I have often been waiting for a flight, both international and within the US, when announcements were made that, because the flight was full, passengers were being limited to only one carry on bag, and that any additional bags had to be gate checked. I've also been on many flights where the last 15-20 people had to have all their carry on bags gate checked (except for a purse or small back pack) because there was no more room in the overhead. Because of that, I make sure to pack all essential and/or expensive items (meds, electronics, etc) into a backpack that could fit under my seat if necessary, and pack my carry on suitcase with items that I wouldn't mind having to gate check (in other words, items that wouldn't be a 'disaster' to lose :p)

The problem with what you have just posted is that there is absolutely no date mentioned. I suspect it is old news and not current news.

Keith

Which is why, I guess, I'm asking the forum. About.com is not a little blog in a corner somewhere. I think this may have been posted in response to the problems earlier in the year or even after the Christmas day issue.

I've been to the TSA and Transport Canada web sites as well as Delta.Com. While I find nothing that specifically states this, it's mostly because almost all the verbiage describes domestic travel. It's just that I have enough "stuff" that I don't feel comfortable checking and don't want any nasty surprises when I'm standing at the gate. That's why I'm asking my fellow travelers - mainly those going from the US into Canada.

Thanks

I just flew out of Canada. There were no unusual limitations on carry on baggage although the plane was 100% full and many people had to gate check their carry on bags.

Flying out of Vancouver you will clear both US Customs and US Immigration in the Vancouver airport as well as clearing Canada's version of the TSA.

That takes a lot of time. I was in line for more than 2 hours just to do that.

Remember that the name on your ticket to fly and on your passport have to match.

They also did positive bag ID of checked baggage.

Our experience in flying in and out of Canada (Vancouver) is that you may have to pay for carry-on items going into the U.S. and not have to flying into Canada (whether they are code share partners are not). Strange -- but true.

I just flew last week from Victoria, BC to Orlando with my dance team. No problems with amount of carry on as many of us carried our dresses on board as well as our purses and small bag. We were also on different flights and airlines - Air Canada, Horizon, Alaska, United, Southwest. No one mentioned that they got hassled with their carry on.

Travelcat: Regarding paying for check in luggage -currently Air Canada does not charge for the first piece. However, their Star Alliance partner is United which does charge for the first piece. If your first leg is an Air Canada designated flight, then you do not have to pay even if you have later United connections. However, if your first leg is an United flight, then you do. (Irritates the heck out of me every time!)

We returned from Europe last month and everyone was required to weigh their checked baggage AND their carry on bags. We were forced to check one of our carry on's because they deemed to overweight ( the bag was the official carry on size and I have used it for carry on for many years & never had a problem). Needless to say we were upset that we were required to pay $65 to check a bag that in the states would have been permitted to carry on with no questions asked.

This was the second time in the past 3 years that we encountered different carry on policies in Europe than what we have come to expect in the US. This occurred on a Delta flight that was being operated by Air France. We had round trip flights on Delta.

When we arrived in the US we had to claim all our bags prior to catching our connecting flight. For the final segment we chose to carry on the bag that we had been forced to check in Europe. No problem, in the US the exact same bag we had been forced to check in Europe was carried on the US Delta flight with no questions from.

There is no point in arguing with the agent in Europe. You will either be detained, denied boarding or possibly arrested. Just be aware that European luggage rules are very different from US. They change constantly and you may not even be notified of the rule until you show up at the check in counter.

We returned from Europe last month and everyone was required to weigh their checked baggage AND their carry on bags. We were forced to check one of our carry on's because they deemed to overweight ( the bag was the official carry on size and I have used it for carry on for many years & never had a problem). Needless to say we were upset that we were required to pay $65 to check a bag that in the states would have been permitted to carry on with no questions asked.

This was the second time in the past 3 years that we encountered different carry on policies in Europe than what we have come to expect in the US. This occurred on a Delta flight that was being operated by Air France. We had round trip flights on Delta.

When we arrived in the US we had to claim all our bags prior to catching our connecting flight. For the final segment we chose to carry on the bag that we had been forced to check in Europe. No problem, in the US the exact same bag we had been forced to check in Europe was carried on the US Delta flight with no questions from.

There is no point in arguing with the agent in Europe. You will either be detained, denied boarding or possibly arrested. Just be aware that European luggage rules are very different from US. They change constantly and you may not even be notified of the rule until you show up at the check in counter.

Most airlines require that you weigh your checked bag so that is not unusual.

IMHO it's good that you had to weigh your carry on. Too often I still see folks either taking a carry and/or personal bag that not only exceed the size limit but it is obvious it also is heavier than the airline guidelines. In many ways if they are going to have rules they ought to enforce them or change the rules.

Keith

I work for the TSA. Now, before I go on, I cannot speak for other airports and I know that the rules are different at international airports concerning carry-ons. Ususally, that carry-on rule is up to the individual airlines to inforce and not the TSA. For a little while, those restrictions were in place but, my parents flew to Rome this past April and reported no problems either coming or going. I can personally attest that we see passengers from Quebec that cross the border and fly out of our airport. Judging by the amount of both checked and carry-on luggage I see at any given time, there can't be any restrictions on number of pieces imposed by the TSA. As others have mentioned, I would go to the TSA website for up to date info.

My experience with Air France is that they always weigh carry on luggage. They do a sort of preliminary screening while you are waiting on the baggage check in line- one of the clerks walks around and briefly lifts each carry on, and then you also need to have them weighed at the baggage desk.

Air New Zealand is very strict about carry on weights; years ago, El Al was weighing carry on bags in NYC.

It's not just carry on restrictions that differ between European and US flights- you are allowed less checked baggage weight, too. All those restrictions are noted and easy to find on each airline's web site. I'm always careful to check them before I pack my bags, so that I don't run into any surprises at check in. (And I also check my ticket to see if my flight is being operated by an airline's partner, so that I know to check that web site, too.)

IMHO it's good that you had to weigh your carry on. Too often I still see folks either taking a carry and/or personal bag that not only exceed the size limit but it is obvious it also is heavier than the airline guidelines. In many ways if they are going to have rules they ought to enforce them or change the rules.

Keith

I couldn't agree more! My personal rule is that I have to be able to easily lift my carry on bag over my head without any help. I was once hit hard on the shoulder by a heavy bag that someone was struggling to lift into the overhead bin above my seat- I was lucky that it was my shoulder and not my head that got hit! Especially for flights out of Israel, it often seems that some people have packed everything including the kitchen sink into their carry on bags :p!

And how many times have I been on a plane in the US where the last couple of dozen passengers to board had to gate check their carry on because all the overhead bins were full?!

Between the rules for weight and size of carry on, and the number you are allowed to bring on the plane, I wish the airlines would enforce their rules. I understand that people are worried about lost luggage- but let's face it, for the most part, while it will be inconvenient, most things can be fairly easily replaced. You should be able to pack true essentials- medication, electronics, documents, and even a change of clothes- into one regulation size and weight carry on. Beyond that, you risk inconveniencing others for your own personal convenience.

(Besides, even if you have wheels on your carry on, with so many airports requiring you to traverse long distances from the gate to immigration and/or baggage claim, shlepping those heavy carry ons can be a real pain!)

OK, off my soapbox.... :D

I don't think this is new for Europe. I haven't been there since 2007 but I could only take one carry on when I boarded the plane in London and in Rome.

Just an FYI-SOME European/foreign carriers have REDEFINED "personal item" and are getting very strict. What we in the US "normally" take as carry on-a roller and then either a laptop bag, small back pack, HUGE purse (more like a messenger bag), etc. etc is no longer allowed. SOME European carriers now define a personal item as a SMALL purse, a coat, a SMALL laptop (like a Netbook), umbrellas, etc. etc.

NO HUGE shopping bags and NO HUGE purses. Just an FYI-READ the fine print for definitions of various "personal items". It may surprise you.

Archived