Useful Info for Your Baltic Cruise

I just returned from a Scandanavia/Russia cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Prior to the trip, I put together a planning website for the cruise. I have updated it with things we learned in the various ports and am posting it on this board for those of you planning future cruises. Hope you find it helpful. The website is www.june26cruise.webs.com

bardstowntraveller - Thank you so much.

What a great website and format.

So easy to use . . .and so much info.

I look forward to reading all about your the planning of your trip and the cruise this evening.

My family and I are on the Constellation August 22nd and have booked with SPB tours in St. P and Warnemunde/Berlin. Paulo Tours in Helsinki and STOEX in Stockholm. There are 5 in our group.

I would love to do something similar for our cruise.

How would I get started?

Big thanks,

Rita

I just returned from a Scandanavia/Russia cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Prior to the trip, I put together a planning website for the cruise. I have updated it with things we learned in the various ports and am posting it on this board for those of you planning future cruises. Hope you find it helpful. The website is www.june26cruise.webs.com

Congratulations - this is so impressive and informative. It will be a fantastic resource for future travellers to the Baltic. Thank you! :)

Loved your website. We'll be on the NCL Sun in August and we're going to most of the same places. I also have the Rick Steves book and we plan to do the walking tour of Copenhagen and perhaps Tallinn.

Some questions if you don't mind...

In St. Pete you mentioned the ATM's, specifically to avoid some and choose others...I understand there is an ATM just past customs at the port, did you notice if it was one of the 'good' ones?

Helsinki bus - we'll be at the same dock as you, LMA. The #16 bus is only good if you're at the neighboring dock (I hear)...but I wonder if #6 would get you close enough to the dock after some time in town. ANy thoughts?

In Tallinn, as I said we have the Steves book with his walking tour but I understand you can get audiotaped devices with maps (for a fee) from the Tourist Office stand near town hall. Did you see anyone with these or hear about anyone using them...

Thanks again for posting all that great info...you're a jewel!

It's great that you took the time to make travel easier for others visiting these ports! Thank you for doing that.

Re Stockholm picture you posted:

I have that same picture and listed it as Copenhagen. Is that Copenhagen or Stockholm? Just want to be sure.

We also just returned from our Baltic cruise (6/21-7/2). Could have used your information as my husband used Rick Steves and planned our walking tours also.

I see we were in port together in Stockholm! :) Loved the Vasa Museum!

bardstowntraveller - Thank you so much.

What a great website and format.

So easy to use . . .and so much info.

I look forward to reading all about your the planning of your trip and the cruise this evening.

My family and I are on the Constellation August 22nd and have booked with SPB tours in St. P and Warnemunde/Berlin. Paulo Tours in Helsinki and STOEX in Stockholm. There are 5 in our group.

I would love to do something similar for our cruise.

How would I get started?

Big thanks,

Rita

Putting together the web site was very easy. The web builder I used was http://www.webs.com. It is a free site. You basically just pick a format and drop in your info.

Helsinki bus - we'll be at the same dock as you, LMA. The #16 bus is only good if you're at the neighboring dock (I hear)...but I wonder if #6 would get you close enough to the dock after some time in town. ANy thoughts?

Thats correct. Bus #16 is of no use if you dock at LMA. Tram #6 would take you to within 0.8 miles of the dock, thats over half a mile closer than the tram #3T stop near the corner Boulevard/Fredrik street mentioned on the web site.

Loved your website. We'll be on the NCL Sun in August and we're going to most of the same places. I also have the Rick Steves book and we plan to do the walking tour of Copenhagen and perhaps Tallinn.

In St. Pete you mentioned the ATM's, specifically to avoid some and choose others...I understand there is an ATM just past customs at the port, did you notice if it was one of the 'good' ones?

In Tallinn, as I said we have the Steves book with his walking tour but I understand you can get audiotaped devices with maps (for a fee) from the Tourist Office stand near town hall. Did you see anyone with these or hear about anyone using them...

Thanks again for posting all that great info...you're a jewel!

To be honest with you we didn't bother getting Rubles. Most shops will take euros, dollars or credit cards. The only time we needed Rubles was for lunch at Stollis. Our guide paid for our meals and we paid her in dollars. In fact, the only foreign currency we purchased was euros and Danish Kroners. We were able to get by with a credit card and euros in all of the other ports.

As far as tram 6 goes, we didn't take it so I am not sure exactly where it starts or ends. I know it also runs down Buleradi street closer to the port than tram 3B/3T. The transportation website for Tallinn can possibly provide more detail on the exact route of tram 6

I wouldn't waste your money on an audio tour of Tallinn unless you are the type that needs to know a lot of detail about what you are seeing. The beauty of Tallinn is that you can just wander aimlessly through town. After the other sight intensive ports, it was a relief to just soak up the quaint ambience.

The picture is not Stockholm, it is Copenhagen.

You are right! I googled photos for the site from the internet before my trip. The shot for Stockholm was entitled Nyhavn, Stockholm. As you eagle eyes have noted, Nyhavn is in Copenhagen, not Stockholm. I have replaced the image with a shot of Gamla Stan in Stockholm

WOW that is fabulous, you are very clever and what a great idea.

Thanks, the information is great as we will be heading to some of those ports next month.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terri, I was blown away with how great your website is and all the great travel info on it. Move over Rick Steves, you got competition. What a format, great writing and to the point. Far superior to what any cruise line gives its customers. Thank you, Thank you.

We are leaving on a GCT riverboat to see St. Petersburg to Moscow in September. Your information will be very helpful. Although we stay longer in these cities than a cruise, we plan to use private tours to get the best use of our time. Again wonderful site.

Best wishes onespots

Archived