Letter from Carnival Victory Captain confirming shooting death of passenger

paulandfran

...not just St. Thomas, but also Jamaica, Antigua, Bahamas, New York, New Orleans, Hawaii, London, .... small town USA....

We have been to St. Thomas at least 8-10 times and never had a problem or witnessed anything - though that means nothing. What happened to that family was a random act of violence - though the randomness doesn't matter because that 14 year old girl is dead and a family is now grieving. Wrong place, wrong time.

My condolences to the family. How tragic...

Kathy

Well said.

or Miami... or anywhere. ..sadly My heart goes out to her family.

It appears the bus was not a target, but it was caught between the crossfire. It's so sad in any event. I just wonder if St. Thomas was so crime ridden why we haven't heard about it like we do Jamaica.

Maybe because it is a "US" Virgin Island.....;)

This is very sad. True fact is that this can happen at any place, anytime.. for any reason. Which doesn't make it justified, but like it was said - wrong place, wrong itme. Thoughts and prayers are going out to that family...

Maybe because it is a "US" Virgin Island.....;)

Maybe. But I've known about the crime in St. Croix, USVI for many years and the ships stopped going there. And I did know St. Thomas had a good bit of crime but thought it was limited to non tourist areas for the most part. The area by Coki is seedy but still this is a shock to have a tourist on an excursion shot. So incredibly sad.

I've been reading a few message boards and some locals are expressing anger at their police and government for not handling this growing crime problem. One explained that she had attended a meeting on "how to keep the cruise visitors safe" and someone told them "make it safe for us and it will automatically be safe for the visitors". It seems the problem has been swept under the rug for fear the cruise lines will pull out and they will become a "third world country". It's such a tragedy in many respects.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Maybe. But I've known about the crime in St. Croix, USVI for many years and the ships stopped going there. And I did know St. Thomas had a good bit of crime but thought it was limited to non tourist areas for the most part. The area by Coki is seedy but still this is a shock to have a tourist on an excursion shot. So incredibly sad.

I've been reading a few message boards and some locals are expressing anger at their police and government for not handling this growing crime problem. One explained that she had attended a meeting on "how to keep the cruise visitors safe" and someone told them "make it safe for us and it will automatically be safe for the visitors". It seems the problem has been swept under the rug for fear the cruise lines will pull out and they will become a "third world country". It's such a tragedy in many respects.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

I remember that with St. Croix because a HAL cruise I was going on pulled out and we went to a different island....

As we have learned recently, the media reports ONLY what it wants to report, according to its or others agenda.

This story is EXTREMELY bad for tourism.

I remember a friend who lived on the island years ago telling me stories, putting me on guard on my first trip there in 1988, and subsequent visits. It's also the reason I go to Megan's Bay, instead of Coki, if I can't get over to St. John.

In any case, it's even surprised me yesterday that this IMPORTANT STORY was whisked off here over to the ports board. :confused:

This is so tragic. My heart goes out to this family.

Although I do absolutely understand why the letter was worded the way it was, the it-wasn't-one-of-our-shore-excursion-taxis really struck me.

Is the letter worded that way to indicate that a ship's excursion taxi would not have been in that area?

Because it seems to me that this could have been anyone, on any shore excursion, at any time.

??

A tragedy indeed. Just about to book a cruise that includes St. Thomas as a port stop. The DW does not want to book this cruise now. Trying to convince her that something like this can happen anywhere.

Extremely tragic.

On a ship sponsored snorkeling excursion, the captain informed us that she was currently looking to leave the island due to crime. My wife and I were both pretty shocked because it looks so beautiful on the exterier.

This is so tragic. My heart goes out to this family.

Although I do absolutely understand why the letter was worded the way it was, the it-wasn't-one-of-our-shore-excursion-taxis really struck me.

Is the letter worded that way to indicate that a ship's excursion taxi would not have been in that area?

Because it seems to me that this could have been anyone, on any shore excursion, at any time.

??

I know. Like it even matters. :confused:

But I am curious if it's one of the local tours, like Godfrey or one of the others.

...not just St. Thomas, but also Jamaica, Antigua, Bahamas, New York, New Orleans, Hawaii, London, .... small town USA....

This is a fallacy to compare these venues of crime While I agree that crime happens - nothing like this has ever happened in my town - no one has been "gunned down in gang cross fire"

Its a tragedy... and so sad that we and the Bahamian police are so gung ho to catch and apprehend the "barefoot bandit" yet you hear nothing of this or any sort of justice for her parents on the news!

We have been to St. Thomas at least 8-10 times and never had a problem or witnessed anything - though that means nothing. What happened to that family was a random act of violence - though the randomness doesn't matter because that 14 year old girl is dead and a family is now grieving. Wrong place, wrong time.

Kathy

Sorry, but I purposely choose NOT to live in an area that has gangs, or have gang activities, nor do I plan to travel to one.

Until I hear what the governor is planning on doing about GANGS, St. Thomas is now off my list of places to travel.

Kathy

Maybe the islands are a wee bit dangerous, lived in NYC for 20 years was never the victim of a crime, in 81 was the victim of a robbery in St. Thomas!

This is a fallacy to compare these venues of crime While I agree that crime happens - nothing like this has ever happened in my town - no one has been "gunned down in gang cross fire"

Its a tragedy... and so sad that we and the Bahamian police are so gung ho to catch and apprehend the "barefoot bandit" yet you hear nothing of this or any sort of justice for her parents on the news!

I don't get how the police in the Bahamas wanting to apprehend a criminal who is committing crimes in their midst has anything to do with the media coverage of a totally unrelated event in another country. Additionally, this story is indeed all over the news, several suspects have already been apprehended, so actually it does seem as though local law enforcement is attempting to secure "justice for her parents."

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/gang-shootout-kills-teen-tourist-on-us-virgin-islands/19551521

Sorry, but I purposely choose NOT to live in an area that has gangs, or have gang activities, nor do I plan to travel to one.

Until I hear what the governor is planning on doing about GANGS, St. Thomas is now off my list of places to travel.

^^ This. +1

While it might have been covered by the AP and searchable on a web portal - it was not picked up by NBC, ABC or CBS -or gathered top billing on any other major news outlet. My point was while not in the same country - the coverage of the barefoot bandit gathered top billing on all major news outlets. He never killed anyone - and the murder of a young tourist - same age as my daughter was not.

While some who cruise often might know all too well of the "dangers" of some of these ports - it is not common knowledge for all cruising. Having lived all over the world - yes there are places you do not venture - Juarez Mexico for example, but the average assumption is that places like St Thomas are generally safe - A spotlight should be placed on the island and the police force as they tout themselves as a place to "find inner peace"

WOW! That's some insight.

Yep. Here's another link from spleenstomer. Not as eloquent but also insightful. As I read over these again, some messages have disappeared but it's still an interesting timeline. Esp. the comments:

let us all seriously hope CNN and any other major network doesn't get wind of this. Aweful

to

Folks, word of this sad event is already out there on the most frequented/ popular cruise message board, "Cruise Critic".

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/read.php?4,141676,page=1

Archived