WARNING!!! This is a 'sour grapes" post. "Special Rates" Those professions left out.

A Sixth?

Rather than flaming you, I'll take the risk with you and state that this is a legitimate question for discussion.

I had always assumed that military, fire, and police were given a break because they are the best prepared to help out in an emergency, and it's not a bad idea to have a higher proportion of those folks there, should the need arise. But this would only make sense if it were a fixed discount. At what point does Celebrity decide that there's likely to be a riot in the MDR over the dress code on a particular cruise?:rolleyes::D:eek: If they anticipate trouble in a foreign port, their anaylists would be better utilized by the CIA, if they can determine several months out that there's likely to be political unrest erupting the very day the ship is in port. So, no, the professional discounts are 1) a genuine courtesy offered, albeit occasionally, to those who qualify, and 2) a nice public relations gesture-- every time I check for a price drop and go to check residency, I note the mil/fire/police box and think, even for a second, about how generous it is for X to acknowledge these folks in the first place.

I suppose it's a question about where to draw the line. Teachers are deserving of special recognition. Doctors are deserving. So are nurses. So are EMTs. So are Red Cross workers. So are clergy. Once you start including these others, anyone else that's close to one of those professions says, "Hey, if they get a break, I deserve one, too."

It may also be a question of the ability to validate. Military, fire and police all need to carry valid ID (military card, badge or ID) at the time of boarding to prove they're legitimately entitled to the lower rate. It may be tougher to do that with other professions. What's a doctor supposed to do? Take his diploma? Maybe these other professions I mentioned do have IDs they carry that help identify them; I don't know.

The reason for lower rates for residents of certain states is that X considers them to be more likely, for whatever reason, to book a particular itinerary and just needs a little more incentive. What, then, is the reason for trying to attract more m/f/p professionals? Something about the demographics of that group (or those groups) that similarly make it more likely they'll come aboard (literally) than others, or is it a more-or-less random thing?

M.D.'s are given a small wallet size card in California to show that the are currently licensed to practice medicine.Iam assuming that other states issue these cards too.

As the wife of a former Air Force pilot, I can tell you that we moved to 13 locations in his 21 years. Aside from the obvious strain that puts on families and children, it makes it nearly impossible for wives who work to find jobs on a consistent basis. It seemed that every time we turned around I was job hunting again. In addition, we didn't get the financial rewards of long-term home ownership because we were on the move so much.

So, aside from the danger aspect there are financial hardships for military families that are not readily apparent to others. It is nice to have that recognized by companies occasionally. I think it is much harder for military families right now with these endless overseas assignments. So, so tough.

Having said that, I understand why it would be irritating to not receive a discount open to others. I was a teacher and though I obviously feel teachers are really important to our communities, I think our military, firefighters and police deserve the breaks, not teachers...as others have said, putting your life out there draws a different line in the sand, IMHO.

As a retired military wife, I too, would like to add to this topic. My husband was enlisted, and in the enitre twenty years that he served we could never afford a cruise for our family, nor did we ever own a home. When we returned home after his retirement, I was 40 years old and attempting to "start over" and do things that all of my friends had already accomplished. I purchased my first home at 41 years old. My husband gets a very modest retirement stipend; however, upon retirement, we had no life insurance for him, nor did we have a long term retirement plan..we started one at age 43. During our time in the military, our "vacations" consisted of things that most people would take for granted, like visiting a sick relative, introducing my parents to their grandaughter ( at age 1 year old), and attending funerals or weddings of family members. The job situation for wives is exactly as "Georgia" described. I would start at a company, work very hard and begin to climb the ladder, and then just when the salary got good, we would receive orders to a new location and I would start all over again. So, yes, when my husband retired and a friend told me about the opportunity to receive a military discount to cruise, we jumped at it and took a wonderful vacation that we had never experienced before. We since have becaome avid cruisers, and what some people don't realize is that the military discount is like any other discount, it is not available on every cruise. It is the luck of the draw. In addition, I have heard others mention careers like nurses and teachers etc.. Most of these professions have unions and there is a cruise line that offers union discounts that are the same as military discounts, so, if that is importent, then one can shop around and choose that line.

It's bad enough that X no longer allows us to double dip to get an OBC for booking on board as well as the stockholder's credit. I would like to get a discount for each of:

Occupation

Residency rates

having reached beyond the magic age of 55...

booking on board... and of course..

owning RCL stock... (oops I forgot I sold my stock when I couldn't double dip);):cool:

The ultimate goal-- they owe you money for taking the cruise.:cool:;):D

I personally do not see the military/fire/police discounts as a business decision by the cruise lines to boost sales/revenues. I see it as the cruise lines providing a reward for people in those professions. Sure, they are not going to offer it on a cruise that is selling well far out (as the cruise lines are in the business to make money), but on the occasions they offer it I do not think it is a scheme to make money, but a reward. In business many "perks" are meant to boost the bottom line, but this is certainly not always the case. Many businesses contribute significant money to charity and they do not do this increase revenue; they generally do it because the people making the decisions want to contribute to the causes to which they donate. I believe that the military/fire/police discounts are a decision by the cruise line to reward people in these fields - and I fully support the cruise lines doing this.

Gonzo, I totally agree with you.

.... In addition, I have heard others mention careers like nurses and teachers etc.. Most of these professions have unions and there is a cruise line that offers union discounts that are the same as military discounts, so, if that is importent, then one can shop around and choose that line.

Do you only cruise lines that offer a military discount? Which ones are they in your experience?

Exactly. This is one of the main reasons for why certain professions are targeted. They have ids that are easy to validate for eligibility.

This is a crucial point that shouldn't be missed.

The OP has the right to make his point about why other professions are no allowed to receive special rates and others have been selected.

I am going add my two cents.

Some day go to Washington, DC and take a trip to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, “The Wall” and just stand there and look. You may want to look at some of the names. I’ll give you one of my buddy’s, Wesley George Thurston Cco 2/12 Inf BN 2 PLT. 25 Inf Div Panel 37E Line 46.

The next memorial that should be viewed is the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. The best time to view this memorial is National Law Enforcement Week in May when they read the names of the law enforcements killed in the line of duty that are being added to the wall.

We all remember 9/11 and the pictures of New York City Fire Department Fire Fighters running into the Twin Towers to save people. Over three hundred firefighters, EMT’s and police died that day doing their chosen profession and their calling to save others.

I am eligible to receive those benefits, but have chosen not to. I would hate to have some think, I got something special for what I did.

Sorry if someone gets mad, but it is my thoughts and opinion. Some thing that we are allowed to do.

The OP has the right to make his point about why other professions are no allowed to receive special rates and others have been selected.

I am going add my two cents.

Some day go to Washington, DC and take a trip to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, “The Wall” and just stand there and look. You may want to look at some of the names. I’ll give you one of my buddy’s, Wesley George Thurston Cco 2/12 Inf BN 2 PLT. 25 Inf Div Panel 37E Line 46.

The next memorial that should be viewed is the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. The best time to view this memorial is National Law Enforcement Week in May when they read the names of the law enforcements killed in the line of duty that are being added to the wall.

We all remember 9/11 and the pictures of New York City Fire Department Fire Fighters running into the Twin Towers to save people. Over three hundred firefighters, EMT’s and police died that day doing their chosen profession and their calling to save others.

I am eligible to receive those benefits, but have chosen not to. I would hate to have some think, I got something special for what I did.

Sorry if someone gets mad, but it is my thoughts and opinion. Some thing that we are allowed to do.

Well, you can be sure that there will always be someone to begrudge you of what many, many others cheerfully believe is something special and that is well deserved.

Do you only cruise lines that offer a military discount? Which ones are they in your experience?

No, I cruise on whichever line has the cruise and price that fits my needs at that moment; however, I do check if there is a military discount on that particular sailing and will use it is it is the best deal ( that is not always the case). I have only sailed with three lines: Princess, Carnival & Celebrity. Each has offered military discounts at one time or another, but not on all of the cruises that we took. As a matter of fact, I booked our first cruise with Celebrity and there was no military rate available for that cruise. After booking, I noticed a one day sale that offered a military discount on my cabin type that was quite a bit of a difference and was able to get an OBC. Our next booked cruise is with NCL. This cruise is offering a military discount, as well as union discounts and the regular senior, etc. Most cruises I have looked in to on NCL have offered the military and union as pretty steady discounts. I would say that Carnival is #2 for military discounts and the rest are hit and miss ( although I have not sailed RCL.

Yes, I think this is a good reason, for business reasons alone, to give a break to military families. Interestingly, though, I don't think firemen and policemen face the same financial hardship because of their jobs, at least not in some places. (Of course they still put their lives on the line with their jobs, lest it sound like I'm making a "sour grapes" post.)

I think it's done for political reasons. Whatever the real reason is, I'm grateful for our senior discount. It's nice to finally catch a break. If Celebrity ever needs political (or social - forum) support, I'll be inclined to give them my vote :)

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, there were no special rates. One cruise executive had a great idea to offer a special rate for accountants so his CPA friends could get a break. That worked out great and the accountants were very happy but the rest of the office workers were upset. They complained and the cruise line added an office worker special rate. Well it wasn't too long before they had a special rate for bankers, mailmen, teachers, and auto mechanics. Then the butcher the banker and the candlestick maker complained and you know what happened next. Within a year or two almost everyone had special rates EXCEPT for the military, police and fire workers. This went unnoticed for a while as these hard working heroes were too busy to take cruises. But after a few years some of them started cruising too and were astounded that they were the only ones who didn't have a special rate!

They complained and the CEO of the cruise line said it would be impossible to give them a special rate as they were the only ones who didn't have one already so if they got one then EVERYONE would have a special rate and it wouldn't be so special anymore. The board convened and debated this for days. Finally the CEO got tired of all the arguments and said: "OK, we'll give the military, police and fire a special rate too! But to make up for the fact that they're a few years behind we'll make them a tad lower. But now you guys have really messed things up as everyone has a special rate so we can't call it special any more." One of the directors pointed out that the military, police and fire would still be special since it was slightly lower than the others. The CEO exploded and said "Enough is Enough!! OK, we'll call their rate special but that's it - I'm tired of all these special rates and there will be no more changes after that!!".

And that is why we really do have a special rate but it isn't called special any more - unless you're in the mlitary, police and fire

Most of the posters here are American.

In the UK , when the aeroplanes transport the bodies of the military from Afghanistan they land at an Air Force Base. There is a simple ceremony.

Then the hearses leave and pass through the nearby small town where most of the residents turn out each time to pay their respects to the fallen. People also come from nearby towns to line the streets.

They have declared that they will carry on doing so because they feel indebted to them .

Recently a Regiment finished its term of duty and returned home. They paid tribute to their lost comrades. In front were a number of soldiers in wheelchairs, with amputated limbs, blind or horrific burn injuries.

Fair enough not all the military risk their lives but on the whole if the cruise line is going to give a discount then I can't think of a better section of the population.

I'm sure the same happens in America.

Sorry for bringing such serious thoughts into the thread

So much risk and hardship for individuals and families and unfortunately so

little pay. Maybe they need/deserve a break :confused: Sometimes things are all

about someone else and not all about us/me. Think I'll focus on being happy for them. No flames here, just a way to look at it perhaps with less

me involved.

I totally agree. I am a retired nurse and would much rather see a discount go to the people protecting me.

Getting serious on this post, as opposed to my story above:

We have do a great service in our jobs and feel deserving. The big difference is that while when I head out to do our jobs every day we are not doing it with the knowledge that we may be laying our life on the line strictly to protect our fellow citizens and to serve those in our communities and country. We all owe a debt of gratitude for those who do and it is customary to extend these heroes a bit of special treatment for what they do for us.

Just want to enlighten you (although, rest assured, I am not in favor of teachers or nurses...I am a nurse...being given the same privileges as military or police/firefighters when it comes to discounts for cruising). My son has a Master's Degree in Education (and has the student loans to prove it). He was married last September and has put off taking a honeymoon so as to not take any time off from work. He just finished his first year as a Middle School Science teacher and although got exemplary performance reviews from administrators and parents, he was let go as a result of severe budget cuts (thank you Governor Christie) in education in the state of New Jersey. So there is no job security in teaching (teachers who had 17 years of tenure were cut as well). Although chastised by the press, the teachers were completely willing to take salary freezes and pay higher premiums for their insurance, the NJEA would not allow them to vote on this. As far as putting in extra hours, my son was at his desk at 7:15 a.m., never left school before 5 p.m. and spent hours in the evening grading papers and organizing curriculums for the next day's lesson. What a pity that a boy who, his entire life, wanted to teach Science, has been let go from a job he loved. Thankfully, he is getting calls from other school districts (and it looks like he has been hired by an affluent school district), but what a pity for the kids in the low income area that he taught have lost a valuable teacher.

Okay, now I'm stepping down off my soapbox.

Jo-Ann

No problem - I spoke about teachers in my area ( Chicago suburbs) and you can take it to the bank that what I said is true here. I am sorry for your son's job issues (I also have a son about that age who can't find a darn job at all despite his college graduation last year), but I do stand behind what I said for this area. I have several teacher relatives so I have first-hand knowledge, not supposition

No problem - I spoke about teachers in my area ( Chicago suburbs) and you can take it to the bank that what I said is true here. I am sorry for your son's job issues (I also have a son about that age who can't find a darn job at all despite his college graduation last year), but I do stand behind what I said for this area. I have several teacher relatives so I have first-hand knowledge, not supposition

With the current fiscal crisis, Chicago and other Illinois school districts are laying off hundreds of teachers. It is a fairly recent development, just the last few months, but job security is not what it used to be.

I am retired military and I am also over 55 and I live in Virginia and just booked a cruise on the Millennium and did not get any discounts :). Generally (not always) the military discounts are offered within 90 days of sailing which usually means there is space and incentives are being offered to get certain folks onboard and because until recently if the fares dropped they had to drop for all. The discounts that the original poster mentioned were relatively generous and not the norm. On a recent search for a cruise in Feb only Norwegian offered any type of military discount and it was minimal. Now there were military fares on Disney out of Barcelona this summer that were 75% less than the normal cheapest fare (those folks should complain) but I never seem to get those. I did save a few hundred last year on RCCL for being old(er). :)

Just to add to the above post.

I am also ex Military though I havent reached the grand old age of ''55'' for another discount currently I am a Serving Coastguard Officer.

Having just booked a cruise in the Caribbean this winter I received 'zilche' 'nowt' 'numeruno uno' 'zero' from the TA (Booked direct) for discounts, onboard credit or free upgrades.

Im not bothered as I am just happy to be able to be able to go on holiday after the trumatic year we have just had.

My father died in Nov, my MIL had a stroke in Nov, my Father in law died on Boxing day and it hasnt been much better since.

Still Im able to get up and go to work knowing that today I will save someone, their Mum, dad, brother or other family relative and that makes me happy. !!

I will celebrate Xmas and New year onboard the Mercury and look forward to what life throws in my direction

No Im not bothered about the discounts Im just happy I have a job that I enjoy !

Just to add to the above post.

I am also ex Military though I havent reached the grand old age of ''55'' for another discount currently I am a Serving Coastguard Officer.

Having just booked a cruise in the Caribbean this winter I received 'zilche' 'nowt' 'numeruno uno' 'zero' from the TA (Booked direct) for discounts, onboard credit or free upgrades.

Im not bothered as I am just happy to be able to be able to go on holiday after the trumatic year we have just had.

My father died in Nov, my MIL had a stroke in Nov, my Father in law died on Boxing day and it hasnt been much better since.

Still Im able to get up and go to work knowing that today I will save someone, their Mum, dad, brother or other family relative and that makes me happy. !!

I will celebrate Xmas and New year onboard the Mercury and look forward to what life throws in my direction

No Im not bothered about the discounts Im just happy I have a job that I enjoy !

Excellant outlook.....:):):)

Bob

I am retired military and I am also over 55 and I live in Virginia and just booked a cruise on the Millennium and did not get any discounts :). Generally (not always) the military discounts are offered within 90 days of sailing which usually means there is space and incentives are being offered to get certain folks onboard and because until recently if the fares dropped they had to drop for all. The discounts that the original poster mentioned were relatively generous and not the norm. On a recent search for a cruise in Feb only Norwegian offered any type of military discount and it was minimal. Now there were military fares on Disney out of Barcelona this summer that were 75% less than the normal cheapest fare (those folks should complain) but I never seem to get those. I did save a few hundred last year on RCCL for being old(er). :)

I lived in Fairfax Station for many years; and, my office was located in Springield, Virginia. I am now an old and retired Floridian, but I fondly remember Fairfax County, which has been the most affluent county in the country, but was replaced, in 2009, by Loundon County in that category. Also, as you know, Fairfax was one of the few counties in the country that maintained the gold standard in public education. Sadly, that standard no longer exists in most public education systems in tbis country. The sad fact of life is that in most areas, if you cannot afford private edcation for your children then they will be disadvantaged. I assume that your children attended Braddock High School, and then on to college.

Archived