Buying and Wearing a sun hat

If you want to avoid the very serious problem of skin cancer, wearing a hat to limit your exposure to the sun is worth any minor inconvenience and after you have worn them for a while you may find that you hardly are aware of it. It isn't the heat of the sun but its harmful rays that you need to be concerned about.:)

EXACTLY.

I am currently paying for the sins of my youth (those sins being, of course, neglecting to apply sunscreen sufficiently if at all). I've had two bouts with skin cancer (basal cell, fortunately, and not melanoma).

About a month after the first patch was removed from my back, I went on a Caribbean cruise. Let me tell you, I was "tourist dork" on all my excursions, including a pirate day cruise: a Columbia hat very much like a Tilley, with mesh band and string under my chin to keep it from flying away; long sleeved heavy cotton shirt; ankle-length broomstick skirt. And lots of high-SPF sunscreen.

A month and a half ago, round 2 was removed - this time from my nose. I've invested (it's expensive) in the Neutrogena 100+ for my face for whenever I'm out in the sun; the rest of me gets a less expensive 50 or 70 SPF.

Please, people, use sunscreen and cover up!

In 2005 my DH and I bought "Tilley" hats. They have mesh inserts, so they don't get hot; water proof, warrenty, secret pocket, washable, packable....LOVE THEM! Many trips and washes later, still look as good as new!

Very durable, too...one testimonal on the web site talks about a hat being eaten by an elephant in Africa...only to be found...mmmm...much later...washed and good as new! LOL

We boght our Tilley hats in Key West about 8 years ago. I hate hats, but I wear this one. I don't find it makes my head any hotter, but it gives me the protection I want.

The warranty covers you even if your hat blows off your head and lands in the ocean. If it is windy, I use the dreaded chin strap. Don't tell anyone.

Another vote for the Tilley hat. Got mine in a hat store in Key West in the shopping center close to the ship. I think it was $70. I am petite and hats usually swallow my head, but they had a perfect size for me. It has survived many sea days, excursions, and my over-packed suitcase for years.:)
Just read your post; guess we shopped at the same hat store.

My son lives in Collierville; just mentioning. I would be glad to get him a Tilley, if he would get on a ship.

Tilley makes the best hat in the world. It says so, right there on the label. :)

I am not generally a hat wearer, but with the thinning and receding hair line, wearing a hat is the much lesser of two evils when I'm on a cruise.

Heat is a problem which seems to depend on one's physiology. Apparently, I have a hot head (literally, and not figuratively!) which makes wearing a hat even that much more uncomfortable for me. Fortunately, Tilley has several hat designs in their Airflo series, which is various amounts of mesh material at the top of the hat to allow for ventilation. It's not as cool as not wearing a hat, but it is much better than sunburn.

Here's a copy of the owners manual that comes with each hat. No matter what you think about their excellent hats, you have to credit them for having one of the best Marketing departments in the world! :)

Theron

Now that I found a good close up picture, I do have the Columbia Bora Bora hat. It's only $20 at Bass Pro shops. I'd say it's a better value than the Tilley but it's doesn't have the secret pocket.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103500____SearchResults

I have a large head and rarely find a woman's hat that fits. I really like the adjustable brim feature which makes the hat perfectly sized and comfortable.

I think I look pretty good as an Aussie. ;)

Since the hat is so lightweight, if you want to let it drop off the back of your head at times, like in a restaurant or on a shaded tender, the drawstring doesn't strangle you.

Gina

Archived