Buying and Wearing a sun hat

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks--western route on the Liberty of the Seas. Can't wait!

I am not a hat wearer usually, but I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to have one for this trip. Do any of you non-hat wearers find that the summer heat makes you want a hat, especially, I suppose, when you are in port?

Does the ship sell sun hats? How much are they? Would I be likely to find an inexpensive hat at one of our stops--Labadee, Ochos Rios, Cozumel, Grand Caymen?

I can't seem to find a hat I like around town here and am wondering how much it matters. I've checked Target, Penney's, Kohl's, Macy's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I learned two things on our very first cruise: always use sunscreen, especially on face & neck, and always have a hat! You can find inexpensive (and expensive!) hats in port, but you may find that you want it before then. I don't think I've seen hats in the shops but it may vary from ship to ship & cruise to cruise.

Sherri:)

Unless you have little hair to protect your scalp, if you're not used to wearing a hat, you're unlikely to wear it. I find they are hot! I wear a visor at the pool, but can't manage a "full" hat.

Do use plenty of sunscreen, tho...the sun is hot!

Woman's point of view here...I have thick hair and wear it between short and chin length. I always carry a hat. Sometimes the sun is so hot I can feel it burning my part. It will also keep my face in the shade. I look for hats that are packable, either raffia or part mesh, that way the air does circulates. Once I put it on, I can't take it off because of hat hair.

I bought a straw cowboy hat in Mexico, for about $8 from a street vendor. It was one of my better hats!

I always take a hat. My scalp burns and I find that they keep me cooler overall. You can get one of the crushable, packable hats that will do fine. Try TJMaxx or Marshall's. Most stores should have them now. They will sell in port but often lots more than here.Heck, get one at Walmart and then leave on the ship. jmho

I never wear a hat(mainly because of "hat-head"), but wear one whenever I go to a beach, especially when I am cruising. I bought a really nice straw one on the ship, a few cruises ago, in the $10 shop. It packs well (it one of those that doesn't crush). My friend, who used to be a lifeguard, just got a big chunk of skin cancer taken off of her head. I also wear 50 sunscreen, another thing I never used, and still got quite a tan on my cruise 2 weeks ago. I also have thick, darker skin. The sun in the Caribbean is very strong!!!

I have tried a visor, but usually seem to need more protection. Even though I have very thick hair, without protection, my scalp will burn. Plus, it is so hot and the right hat, for some reason, just seems to be cooler. And this is from someone who never wears a hat at home!

Sherri:)

In 2005 my DH and I bought "Tilley" hats. They have mesh inserts, so they don't get hot; water proof, warrenty, secret pocket, washable, packable....LOVE THEM! Many trips and washes later, still look as good as new!

Very durable, too...one testimonal on the web site talks about a hat being eaten by an elephant in Africa...only to be found...mmmm...much later...washed and good as new! LOL

I also wear a hat and purchased on at one of the ports of call for about $8.00. (The vendor wanted $20). It offers a lot of protection from the sun and is very stylish. You will find tons of styles to choose from and all the street vendors sell them. Once while on a shore excursion I went without one and found my scalp got burned. All it takes is one day out in the sun and you can get burned. Not a good idea as the scalp is very sensitive. If you don't feel like packing it to take it home, just leave it in your cabin and get a new one on the next cruise. The protection is worth the small amount of money it will cost you.

I always take a hat. My scalp burns and I find that they keep me cooler overall. You can get one of the crushable, packable hats that will do fine. Try TJMaxx or Marshall's. Most stores should have them now. They will sell in port but often lots more than here.Heck, get one at Walmart and then leave on the ship. jmho

I've tried hats before,mainly cause I thought I would look so chic with the big floppy hat,and big sunglasses.But I spend more time chasing them around the deck, and various beaches,that eh...not worth the trouble lol

We did liberty in 08... and my husband ended up buying a hat (in port of course because its cheaper than on the ship), of course he's bald... for me, I got a GREAT pair of sunglasses, and put my hair up and little sun screen and was good to go.

Hat's will not make your head hot and they will keep you cooler if you are willing to spend the money on a really good hat. LL Bean has some with SPF ratings. My recent favorite is one I got at Sports Authority made by Columbia. It also has an SPF rating, it has a mesh strip around the top for ventilation, it's extremely lightweight and lays flat in my suitcase. The size is adjustable with a hidden cord inside and it has a cord for under the chin that can be used to hold it to your head in windy weather - or on a tender.

Do a search for this one and you'll get an idea - Columbia Bora Bora Booney Hat

It might not be exactly like my current hat, but it's similar. A great hat can be found for around $25 and it's worth it. Protect your face from premature wrinkles and skin cancer - wear a hat.

Gina

Here's another vote for the Tilley hat. I've had mine for 12 years now, and it's darn near indestructable.

In 2005 my DH and I bought "Tilley" hats. They have mesh inserts, so they don't get hot; water proof, warrenty, secret pocket, washable, packable....LOVE THEM! Many trips and washes later, still look as good as new!

Very durable, too...one testimonal on the web site talks about a hat being eaten by an elephant in Africa...only to be found...mmmm...much later...washed and good as new! LOL

My hat is right on the list of things not to forget:) always take one with me and yes have more than one at home living in South Texas where hats are worn very freely. It will help to protect your head, neck and face from the hot tropical sun, they are readily available in the islands but be sure to get one that is either open mesh style in the area above the band or vented in some way to keep your head cool.:)

I, too, am not a hat wearer, except when on a cruise. I bought a straw hat once. There were 2 problems with it: the wind would literally take it away, and it was hot. As a souvenir, I bought a RCCL baseball cap. It stayed on much better and was not as hot as the straw, I thought. Now I have several of the RCCL caps and some from various islands I've visited. Of course, when it's really windy onboard, you have to hold on to those baseball caps as well. But at least my face and nose are protected. That's the important thing.

Here's another vote for the Tilley hat. I've had mine for 12 years now, and it's darn near indestructable.

Another vote for the Tilley hat. Got mine in a hat store in Key West in the shopping center close to the ship. I think it was $70. I am petite and hats usually swallow my head, but they had a perfect size for me. It has survived many sea days, excursions, and my over-packed suitcase for years.:)

Unless you have little hair to protect your scalp, if you're not used to wearing a hat, you're unlikely to wear it. I find they are hot! I wear a visor at the pool, but can't manage a "full" hat.

Do use plenty of sunscreen, tho...the sun is hot!

If you want to avoid the very serious problem of skin cancer, wearing a hat to limit your exposure to the sun is worth any minor inconvenience and after you have worn them for a while you may find that you hardly are aware of it. It isn't the heat of the sun but its harmful rays that you need to be concerned about.:)

I've tried it all over the years. Hats don't work very well, IMO. It's always windy in the Caribbean, so I've tried adding shoestrings to the sides of the hats to keep them tied under my chin. Hat hair and a hot head: I agree.

I live in a very hot climate in the summer: it's been 97 - 101 for about a week now. I used Neutragena SPF 100+ and it is FABULOUS! I am very, very, very sun senstive, burn in 10 minutes, and this stuff keeps me sunburn free completely. I, too, have had a chunk of cancer taken off the back of my neck, so I'm really careful now.

I buy sun visors everywhere we go, and have a collection in all colors. I take several of them to match my clothes, I wear them ALL the time here at home, and I love them. They actually make my hair look better!! They fluff it up on the top.

My scalp doesn't burn, because I also take one of these with me on all my cruises:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GBWZ60/ref=cm_rdp_product/177-9349813-4269309

This umbrella/parasol cuts the heat by about 10 degrees when you are under it. So, if I have to stand or walk in the hot sun for any length of time, I pop open my Eclipze. Carry it in my tote bag.

I bought a mesh top outback style hat just for the cruise.

I think it looks a little weird wearing it, but I will be around 3000

people I will never see again. It saved my head & neck from getting burned when out on deck. I also took it with me ashore. I also agree, go no where without your sunglasses

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks--western route on the Liberty of the Seas. Can't wait!

I am not a hat wearer usually, but I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to have one for this trip. Do any of you non-hat wearers find that the summer heat makes you want a hat, especially, I suppose, when you are in port?

Does the ship sell sun hats? How much are they? Would I be likely to find an inexpensive hat at one of our stops--Labadee, Ochos Rios, Cozumel, Grand Caymen?

I can't seem to find a hat I like around town here and am wondering how much it matters. I've checked Target, Penney's, Kohl's, Macy's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Go to: http://www.wallaroohats.com/

I've purchased several great hats from them!

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. Does Liberty of the Seas have a $10 shop?

Yes, they do but all I remember seeing were watches, jewelry, and wraps.

As for wearing a hat....hang onto it on the upper decks when it is windy. I had my hat blow off my head and land in the ocean.

Archived