Virgin!

lightsroff

A few tips ... read as much as you can here; you'll learn an amazing amount of info just by scrolling through the threads and picking out ones that are of interest to you.

Pick up guide books (either at your library or book store) for the places that you'll be visiting. You might also want to pick up a book such as this one.

When you have specific questions, please post them so that people can provide specific information.

Have a look at some of the helpful info in the CC Planning section.

Have a look at the Princess forums for any information relative to the cruise line or ship that will be helpful to you.

Have a look at (and participate in) the Roll Call for your sailing ... you'll meet others who will be on your cruise and perhaps have the opportunity to join groups for private tours.

Have fun!:)

p.s. if you still have time after doing all of the above, you might enjoy reading CC member reviews about their trips on Ruby Princess (from the Member Review section.)

Excellent advice!! I try to write down the "must sees and dos" for me.Then I plan what I would do in the ports. If I must do a long tour one day, I try to do something short the next or relax on a sea day. Sometimes you have to over do. We did a daylong tour of the Amalfi Coast from Naples and the next day was our flight back to USA from Rome. I was very exhausted but sooooo glad I did that Amalfi tour. Our next cruise we are traveling with relatives and we have someone that has to curtail her long walking so we are adjusting and planning ahead. Of course, sometimes things don't work out the way you plan and I copy and make maps of things I never use but that is the way it goes. Have fun!

I try to write down the "must sees and dos" for me.Then I plan what I would do in the ports.

Yes...I should have added that to my post above. As I'm going through all of the research material, I take notes, print info from the internet, confirmation emails, photocopy guide book pages, collect maps, etc.

I compile this into either a small accordion folder or a 3 ring binder, with dividers for each port, plus a section for travel (hotel, air, cruise) info. Once I narrow down what I actually need to bring, I take the unnecessary items out, and the binder or folder comes with us...along with any guidebooks that we're bringing. Then each day on the cruise I just need to take out that section, do a quick review (usually the night before each port), put it into a large ziploc baggie and into my backpack.

• 1 month later...

Just did this trip late May in the reverse direction with my 19 y/o niece. We loved it and you will too - get ready - it is very very port intensive. By the time we'd gotten to the second part of the trip, (Greece/Turkey), people at dinner each night were wondering aloud how long a day tomorrow was because they were very tired - this from young and old. I'd been warned so to offset some of this I just chose ship's tours in Naples and Istanbul that had an afternoon cruise (Amalfi coast and Bosphorus) which helped tremendously. I realize by now you have your trip settled but all 3 ruins were not to be missed (Pompeii, Kusadasi, Acropolis).

Welcome to CC

Great cruiseline and great lineup of ports, did this same one two years ago.

Couldn't imagine a better lineup of ports.

Read here to get one view of the ports and things to do and challenges ( http://www.europeportreviews.com/ ). There are challenges as some ports are very easy to do on your own. Others require some significant transportation

IMHO Rome, Florence/Pisa, Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi Coast, and Kusadasi are ports one should consider a tour, private car/driver and share tours. If you able body and adventurous Athens and Istanbul are doable on your own. THe other stops Venice, Barcelona, Mykonos and Monte Carlo? are totally accessible on your own.

The private tour is the way to go, as you avoid the big bus tours with 40 other people that slow you down and you see less and pay more. Look for your cruises rollcall and see if you can join others private tour.

Good luck!

Im going on my first cruise ever!!!! HELP! any tips, suggestions, going in Sept 2010 on Ruby Princess to the Grand Medertian!! Venice to Spain!

Definately do your research. Learn about the ports and sights your going to see. If you do this they will mean much more to you when you see them. Hint about Venice....it is an enormous maze...I love to shop so if you see something in a store you may want, buy it because you may never find that store again.

Im going on my first cruise ever!!!! HELP! any tips, suggestions, going in Sept 2010 on Ruby Princess to the Grand Medertian!! Venice to Spain!

Susan and others have offered some excellent suggestions. Here are some of mine.

FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on Crystal and also for the ports you would visit on your upcoming cruise.

SECOND, do a search on these boards by each subject or city. You will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop or subject. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city or topic, if you don't find it.

THIRD, when posting a new thread, be sure to have a title that is narrow or specfic to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. Don't just have a general term of "I have a question". Just like a good headline, the right title makes it so much easier for people to catch what you are seeking.

There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

What ports are visiting? Your personal interests and travel style? Tell us more!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived