Cocoa Beach closes beaches to swimming

I am in Cocoa right now....it's all over the local news that Cocoa has decided to close the beaches to swimming due to high bacteria from seagull droppings. Swimming will remain closed the weekend until they retest levels Monday. Signs are going up today...while they will not throw you out of the water, they are telling you to stay out or you are swimming at your own risk.

I am in Cocoa right now....it's all over the local news that Cocoa has decided to close the beaches to swimming due to high bacteria from seagull droppings. Swimming will remain closed the weekend until they retest levels Monday. Signs are going up today...while they will not throw you out of the water, they are telling you to stay out or you are swimming at your own risk.

And I can just see the idiots ignoring the signs...... :D At least they will be the only ones to suffer. Don't think this would be something that you would "share" with others (assuming no one else was playing with the offenders "droppings"....).

I also would have to wonder if the seagulls are considerate enough to only "drop" in the water. Wouldn't the sand itself, etc. also have high bacteria levels?

So many questions, so few answers....... ;)

I also would have to wonder if the seagulls are considerate enough to only "drop" in the water. Wouldn't the sand itself, etc. also have high bacteria levels?

At least the fish have enough manners to put on a collared shirt, long pants, and use the indoor restrooms, entering only after removing their hats.:D

It's easier to avoid on the beach since it pretty much stays where it hits. Also, it's less likely to find it's way into any cuts or other "openings" in your body than when it's dispersed throughout the water.

It's easier to avoid on the beach since it pretty much stays where it hits. Also, it's less likely to find it's way into any cuts or other "openings" in your body than when it's dispersed throughout the water.

True. It still doesn't sound very appealing....... ;)

Really? Seagulls? The beaches where I live are closed occasionally due to high bacteria but it's always been a manmade problem.

Amen - going to be 90 here this weekend and most of the upcoming week, but because the not quite deep enough tunnel here in Milwaukee can't handle more than an inch of rain (so the partially treated sewage won't back up into people's homes) and the partially treated crap will be released into Lake Michigan....so for the next week or so when the temps are in the 90's our beaches will be closed......thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Cocoa Beach is beautiful, water is warming to 80 and everyone is swimming :-) (but then again people from Mich and Ohio swim here in Jan) but I remember two years ago when the winds were blowing a certain way and thousands/millions of love bugs were at the beach. Now, that was nasty.

....I remember two years ago when the winds were blowing a certain way and thousands/millions of love bugs were at the beach. Now, that was nasty.

Love Bugs on the beach? I thought driving on the beach was only allowed in Daytona??? :)

f8a202482a.jpg

Steve.. There is no beach in Cocoa, Cocoa is 6 miles inland!!

The problem is at the beach in the city of Cocoa Beach, and is worse near the pier, seems that the seagulls do there business on the pier and the waves wash it into the ocean:eek:. The further away from the pier you are, the cleaner the water.

You Cruising this weekend??

Steve.. There is no beach in Cocoa, Cocoa is 6 miles inland!!

The problem is at the beach in the city of Cocoa Beach, and is worse near the pier, seems that the seagulls do there business on the pier and the waves wash it into the ocean:eek:. The further away from the pier you are, the cleaner the water.

You Cruising this weekend??

Ahhh, so now we find that the gulls are not so polite as to only drop in the ocean afterall.......:D

Cocoa Beach is beautiful, water is warming to 80 and everyone is swimming :-) (but then again people from Mich and Ohio swim here in Jan) but I remember two years ago when the winds were blowing a certain way and thousands/millions of love bugs were at the beach. Now, that was nasty.

We cruised out of PC and it was either May '07 or '08 and the love bugs were everywhere. We stayed an extra day at the Hilton Cocoa Beachfront an extra day, had an ocean view room, and the love bugs swarmed the windows. Still beautiful scene but the bugs were horrible. And don't even get me started with the bugs on the front and windshield of the rental car after we got back to the airport. :(

im

T

Well, I have to say that I live 5 minutes down the beach from Cocoa Beach and we don't have any such warnings. There wasn't anything in the local newspaper either.....the biggest beach story right now is all the rescues they've done this weekend (including Cocoa Beach) due to strong currents and rip tides.

Well, I have to say that I live 5 minutes down the beach from Cocoa Beach and we don't have any such warnings. There wasn't anything in the local newspaper either.....the biggest beach story right now is all the rescues they've done this weekend (including Cocoa Beach) due to strong currents and rip tides.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100716/NEWS01/7160324/1006/County+puts+up+bacteria+warning

http://www.wftv.com/brevardcounty/24270609/detail.html

Well I just made a fool of myself didn't I?? I read that rag on-line every day and obviously missed it. I guess it would make sense around the pier area, it's amazing how many people think seagulls are cute and feed them!!

Well I just made a fool of myself didn't I?? I read that rag on-line every day and obviously missed it. I guess it would make sense around the pier area, it's amazing how many people think seagulls are cute and feed them!!

Don't feel bad,I read it online as well and also deliver 350 of them each morning, and I didn't see it until the OP posted, did hear something about it on the TV news though.:D

Archived