Question for Diabetic Cruisers

mia10010

Do you get the sharp containers from the room steward, or from the guest services/reception desk?

Also, can diabetics take Bonnine (meclazine), to prevent seasickness?

Thanks.

I'm not a diabetic, but I use a sharps container for other injectible meds I use. You can ask your room steward or the folks at guest services -- who will contact your room steward to get one for you. Or you can go by the medical clinic and get one yourself.

I am insulin dependant diabetic and between my pens, syringes, test strips, etc and other waste, will fill up a sharps container in a week.

You can ask your room steward for a sharps container OR you can contact NCL's special needs department and preorder one, I believe.

I always contact Speical Needs prior to cruise and tell them. My sharp's container is in the room when I arrive (at least on other ship lines so far). I also tell the Mait'd that I need all my sauces on the side (so that I control the amount).

NCL is very accomodating for diabetics. There are so many of us now, unfortunately.

Sharps containers are available.

Bonine, according to my physican is safe for us to take. Be certain to drink plenty of water while taking it, it can be rather binding if you don't.

I understand that NCL has a lot of yummy sugar free stuff (yay!) and also can accomodate people with Celiac's disease (gluten free) which many diabetics are also afflicted by. They are very accomodating to many other dietary limitations, should you require. Call the Special Needs desk at NCL for more help.

diet pop *shudder*

i just can't get used to that. The only one i can stomach is Diet Dr.Pepper and only the US version of it. Since I live in Canada, I simply cut out pop altogether after being diagnosed. My beverage of choice is Crystal Light singles. They're small and flavour a huge quantity of water (i use twice the water it calls for and is still plenty strong)

Favourite flavours: Acai White Peach Papaya and the Cherry Pomegranite

singles_image_1.jpg

Throw in a handful of the singles into the zipper of the suitcase, which takes up practically zero room, and i'm all set for the cruise.

My husband is addicted to Diet Coke. Until I met and married him, I think I bought a total of 2 bottles of "pop" in my entire lifetime. I never even knew it expired! The man won't drink anything but Diet Coke and Diet Pink Lemonade...deep sigh...

I also bring the singles packets of sugar free drinks, not just Crystal Light...too much soda messes with my digestion...

I'm glad this thread was started we're new cruisers and are cruising in September with out 13 yr old who happanes to have type 1 Juvenile Diabetes and of course is insulin dependant. I was just going to put his used pen tips in a baggy to bring home with us. I did not know they would supply a sharps container.

What about snacks for lows? Do you carry extra snacks onboard with you for lows?? I'm thinking about doing this but didn't know what the policy was for bringing food onboard.

TIA

I'm glad this thread was started we're new cruisers and are cruising in September with out 13 yr old who happanes to have type 1 Juvenile Diabetes and of course is insulin dependant. I was just going to put his used pen tips in a baggy to bring home with us. I did not know they would supply a sharps container.

What about snacks for lows? Do you carry extra snacks onboard with you for lows?? I'm thinking about doing this but didn't know what the policy was for bringing food onboard.

TIA

I depend on juice to bring me up when I become hypoglycemic. I usually bring a container to fill up with juice at the buffet and keep it in the mini fridge, since they only have juice in the morning.

You can bring packaged juices and snacks on board with you, these items are not against the rules. You cannot, however, bring anything off the ship that is not sealed and packaged.

I bring pre-packaged dried cranberries or raisins as a snack for when I am off the ship. I keep glucose tabs on me when I am far from my cabin, but I find juice works best for me...You can always grab a banana or other fruit from the buffet at any time while on the ship, too.

Thanks so much for the repsonse. He will not take to Glucose tabs. He's been a Diabetic since he was 5 Juice!! Great Idea. I'll bring an empty bottle and prepackaged for off the ship. We'll also bring Granola bars in the box and prepackaged lifesavers.

What about Glucagon for if you pass out. Do you carry that with you? I have to have that off the ship in case of an emergency. How will that work?

I have an insulin pump. I carry glucagon whenever I leave the ship along with some insulin pens if I am going to the beach. I leave my pump in the safe since I dont want to risk losing a $6,000.00 piece of equipment. I think there is too much risk of my pump dissapearing from a beach. Make sure you have the prescription for both the glucagon and the insulin with you in case of questions. The frio puches work great for keeping your insulin cool while on excursions. If you keep drink boxes cold in the fridge prior to excursions they also work well for keeping your insulin cool.

Have fun on your trip.

Joyce

I always bring my insulin in the box with the pharmacy label, just in case. It really applies more to traveling by air, since it isn't such a big deal on a cruise, but just in case I have any issues, I am covered...

I don't carry glucagon so I cannot comment. I also have diabetes related gastroparesis, which causes all the food I eat to be moved very slowly through my digestive system. It can take awhile for food to affect my blood sugar so I test a lot and always have juice around.

I have an insulin pump. I carry glucagon whenever I leave the ship along with some insulin pens if I am going to the beach. I leave my pump in the safe since I dont want to risk losing a $6,000.00 piece of equipment. I think there is too much risk of my pump dissapearing from a beach. Make sure you have the prescription for both the glucagon and the insulin with you in case of questions. The frio puches work great for keeping your insulin cool while on excursions. If you keep drink boxes cold in the fridge prior to excursions they also work well for keeping your insulin cool.

Have fun on your trip.

Joyce

Good idea with the juice boxes.

• 2 years later...

My partner has just been put on insulin and I need to inject her before breakfast and dinner. How do you handle this on a ship? If I inject her too early in the cabin this will effect her if we aren't served right away. should I inject her once we are seated in the bathroom? Please help. I don't know how to handle this. Thanks.

My partner has just been put on insulin and I need to inject her before breakfast and dinner. How do you handle this on a ship? If I inject her too early in the cabin this will effect her if we aren't served right away. should I inject her once we are seated in the bathroom? Please help. I don't know how to handle this. Thanks.

That all depends on what type of insulin she is on. The timing of the dosage is dependent on the insulin type. Some require a bit of time to have an affect (older types who's names escape me) The newer fast acting human analog insulins (Humalog and Novolog) you take immediately before eating. I see no reason to go to the bathroom for the injection. Most insulin types are now available in a "pen" that can be easily injected discretely wherever you are.

My endocrinologist advised me that with my pen and the longer needles it was not even necessary to prep the site prior to injection and you can inject right through clothing, provided you do not re-use the needle tips.

You should accompany her to a doctor's visit to be instructed on how to best administer her medications if, as it appears from your post, she is not able to do it herself.

I suggest you ask your Dr/physician for the length of time between injection and food so you can plan appropriately

Not only can you ask for a sharps container from the steward but you can contact special needs so that if there is not a fridge in your cabin, they will bring a medicine one - but these fridges have to be booked in advance

Thanks so much for the replies. I've been injecting her for two days now and I think I'm doing ok. It's just the time prior to meals I'm worried about. She was diagnosed months ago, we had it under control, then she was hospitalized for 3 weeks-nothing to do with diabetes. She lost so much weight that we believed there was no longer any problem with the diabetes. Then, all of a sudden we have a spike-along with weight gain and now she's on insulin for the first time.

I will contact her doctor about time before meals for shots. She is on Novolog before breakfast and dinner.

Thanks for all your help. I will call NCL to alert them and ask for a sharpie container. We will have a fridge for the extra pen.

All new-but we'll figure it out.

You can inject your partner right at your table. Do not worry about it. There are washrooms nearby, but if you find a good table, go for it. No one will notice as long as you do it quickly and without a public announcement!!! I do it all the time.

Ditto. I use a Novolog pen and unless you were really paying attention (or I was wearing a dress and lifted it over my head LOL), you wouldn't even notice. I do know that I inject right as my main meal is served, but I would double check with the physician.

Archived