Question for Diabetic Cruisers

mia10010

Her doctor only told us to give her an injection before breakfast and dinner. Which I am doing at home right before we eat. I will inject her at the table on our cruise.

Thank you all so much. I haven't really known how to handle any of this as this all started only 3 days ago. I will be very relived when her blood sugar levels go down as they are still in the 200's. She is back on her diet, drinking lots of water and in general eating well. We just need a little time.

We sail on Oct. 5 on NCL Dawn for Canada and I'm going to call NCL tomorrow for a sharpie container and to make sure we have a refrigerator.

And then we can concentrate on packing and looking forward to our cruise.

Linda

I've been doing this insulin thing for a long time now. One thing you need to know is, you do not need to keep you insulin cool, room temps are ok for 28 days. Both the doctor and pharmacy tell me that one months supply can be kept at room temps. I never put my active pen in the fridge, it hurts if its cold. I usually take two pens on the cruise just to be safe and never chill them.

Room steward will get you a sharps container, you do not need to notify the cruise line in advance.

My partner has just been put on insulin and I need to inject her before breakfast and dinner. How do you handle this on a ship? If I inject her too early in the cabin this will effect her if we aren't served right away. should I inject her once we are seated in the bathroom? Please help. I don't know how to handle this. Thanks.

Frankly a public message board isn't the place to get this basic information. I suggest you have your partner arrange for you to get an appointment with the diabetic educator. There is so much to know and understand based on INDIVIDUAL heath status. Is there a reason this person doesn't take responsibility for their own adminstration of meds? (not looking for any answer, just another point to bring up with a health care provider)

I suggest you ask your Dr/physician for the length of time between injection and food so you can plan appropriately

Not only can you ask for a sharps container from the steward but you can contact special needs so that if there is not a fridge in your cabin, they will bring a medicine one - but these fridges have to be booked in advance

I requested a fridge when I first booked my NCL cruise the first time I sailed NCL (Sprit); I didn't receive one and ended up storing my insulin in the ice container. They offer to keep it in the Med. office, but I didn't think that was a good ideal. I just had to keep on the stweards back not to forget the ice.:o

Also, I have to take one of my insulin 20mins. prior to eating. I will do it in cabin prior to going dining. I cannot for see the meal taking a long time to get to me. At least they would have bread and a beverage served even prior to the meal. Therefore, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just remember to have fun. Everything will workout

Archived