Size of carry on question.

blazerjan

I know this issue was addressed before but I never really did find the answer to my question. Please keep in mind we are not flying so all flight regulations aside... will my DH be able to use his 16" x 24" x 9" as a carry on to the ship?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

I know this issue was addressed before but I never really did find the answer to my question. Please keep in mind we are not flying so all flight regulations aside... will my DH be able to use his 16" x 24" x 9" as a carry on to the ship?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Carry on for the ship means that it has to able to fit through the security scanners. Can't give a definitive answer re your specific measurements, but you have cruised before, so you should have a reasonable idea looking at the case? :)

ETA - I'm sure you will get a response here, but failing that if you are still unsure, you could always try calling Princess and asking them?

The scanners used at the port are the same size as the scanners used when you go through secuirity at an airport.

If your suitcase fits in those scanners, it will fit in the ones at the port.

Even though you are not flying this time, you are probably familiar with the size of scanners at airports.

I assume that you are talking about initial embarkation and not returning from a shore excursion, right? Then I would think/guess that even if you showed up at the top of the gangplank with a 100 pound steamer trunk I doubt that Princess would deny your boarding. They may want to do a manual search and it might slow delivery to your stateroom somewhat.

Someone suggested asking Princess. Sounds like a good idea to me. you might come back here with their answer.

A steamer trunk? Yeah, where would you store that for your voyage?

Cheers, VegasPier

I'd have to say it all depends. On who is watching the door at the terminal that day. I've seen people turned away and directed back to the stevedores for luggage to be collected and checked onto the ship.

Your suitcase measurements are a bit smaller than the standard medium sized case, more like a longer version of a standard airline carry on bag. So, it may work. I think you'll have to wait and let us know when it is history.

I assume that you are talking about initial embarkation and not returning from a shore excursion, right? Then I would think/guess that even if you showed up at the top of the gangplank with a 100 pound steamer trunk I doubt that Princess would deny your boarding.

The screening before initial embarkation is not done by Princess personnel but is done by port or givernment employees. If you reach the x-ray scanner with too big an object, they will have you bring it back outside to be given to the luggage handlers.

Some of those guys at the door are probably "taken care of" by the porters. Ask to see their supervisor if they turn away your bag that you know will fit the scanner.

The screening before initial embarkation is not done by Princess personnel but is done by port or givernment employees. If you reach the x-ray scanner with too big an object, they will have you bring it back outside to be given to the luggage handlers.

We've been turned back once (and only once) in Fort Lauderdale (terminal #2) a few years ago carrying only a 25 " bag and they were allowing smaller ones through at the time and it was the supervisor who turned us back to check the bags. Since then we have been able to carry the same size on the ship with us and I haven't see the same woman again.

Some of those guys at the door are probably "taken care of" by the porters. Ask to see their supervisor if they turn away your bag that you know will fit the scanner.

I was chanllenged once in MIA by the security guard at the door after I had already passed the baggage handlers. He said it was too big and would have to check the bag. I asked him what had changed in 4 weeks since I had used the same bag at the same terminal at that time. He smuggly replied... "you'll be back." He was right, I was back at the end of the cruise:p! Had no problem at the scanners with my 17x28x11deep bag.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies and responses. This is a new bag I just bought my DH for his birthday. It's bigger then the one he used for our last cruise. I went with this size so we both could use it when we go away for a weekend and then he could take it as a carry on for our cruise out of FLL in November. It does have A 2" expansion but that wouldn't be in use when we board. I think I will call Princess to get their measurment regulations. I will let you all know.

Archived