Hotels near Port in NY ???

Buster27

We are booking the Glory for the 5 day to Cananda....would like to go up the night before......

Can anyone help me with some decent hotels near the port? Maybe with free parking???? Or a shuttle to the port? If there is such a thing in New York City !!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

There is no such thing as free parking in NYC.

I'm not familiar with any hotels on the west side (near the port). I would recommend staying in the midtown area. You can get pretty good rates and its a short cab ride to the port. Try using Hotwire or Priceline for a hotel.

Hotels in Manhattan are not going to have free parking. Parking in Manhattan is not cheap since space is at a premium. Plus the hotels are going to be more expensive. I don't know if any have shuttles to the ports, but you're not going to want to leave your car anyway. Better to park at the port despite the fees. We just always figure the parking in as part of the cost of cruising if we're going to drive.

I would suggest getting a room in a suburb area like Newark or Elizabeth, NJ. Plenty of fairly priced hotels with free parking and some even include a continental or hot breakfast. You will have plenty of time to sleep in, grab breakfast, check out and drive to the port and park with time to spare prior to your cruise. This is what we've always done.

Others will probably have somewhat different suggestions based on their experiences and may be able to offer a cheaper alternative.

We are booking the Glory for the 5 day to Cananda....would like to go up the night before......

Can anyone help me with some decent hotels near the port? Maybe with free parking???? Or a shuttle to the port? If there is such a thing in New York City !!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

New Jersey!!!! That is where I am told you can actually get parking and a shuttle to the pier.

If you're going to stay in NJ...don't go to Newark or Elizabeth. :eek:. There's a very nice Sheraton directly across the Hudson River from the port in Weehawken NJ. Rooms are $188 & worth every penny! But perhaps with AAA or AmEx you can get a better rate.

Here's the link: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1177

For free parking check out Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ. They have an Endless Summer rate for 9/5 that is $194 incl tax. They will shuttle you to the ferry ($8.50/pp each way). I think the ferry offers free bus service in Manhattan on a weekday that would take you up 12th Ave to the cruiseport.

Homewood Suites by Hilton® Edgewater-NYC Area

10 The Promenade, Edgewater, New Jersey 07020

1-201-941-4700

Never been to NYC when using hotwire or pricline are all area safe how many stars should I use.

There is no such thing as free parking in NYC.

I'm not familiar with any hotels on the west side (near the port). I would recommend staying in the midtown area. You can get pretty good rates and its a short cab ride to the port. Try using Hotwire or Priceline for a hotel.

I wouldn't go less than 3* in NYC. Even a 3* hotel might not be up to the standards of 3* hotels elsewhere. What date are you looking at? Sept 17? Hotels are tight that week - it's Fashion Week. Any area offered on Hotwire would be OK from a safety standpoint.

Yes Sept 17 I was wondering why on roll call there is not very many people maybe everyone knew about fashion week except us. Thanks for the info

I wouldn't go less than 3* in NYC. Even a 3* hotel might not be up to the standards of 3* hotels elsewhere. What date are you looking at? Sept 17? Hotels are tight that week - it's Fashion Week. Any area offered on Hotwire would be OK from a safety standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally we were going to drive car to Brooklyn cruise pier and park there, but decided to drive only as far as Baltimore airport where we can park for about $8/day and take Amtrak to NYC (we love riding trains).

Another alternative I looked at was using the special bus to cruise port (similar to FL Cruise Connection bus) -- forgotten the bus company's name in NJ, NY etc.

Now we are planning to stay in NYC for a couple nights and then use a car service to get from Times Square hotel to Brooklyn pier. Someone posted on another thread that if we took a cab to port, we might get a driver who didn't know how to find the pier or didn't speak good English and so we should carry specific directions from hotel to pier -- I am sortof at a disadvantage in that I haven't been to NYC in past 19 years and never been to Brooklyn!!

Homewood Suites in Edgewater you can park for free for the week. Car service to the pier from the hotel is $45 plus tip. It is worth it to take the car service there and you can arrange a return pick up. Homewood Suites is a very nice place to stay.

We stayed at the recently reopened "INK" hotel which is within walking distance of the pier. We got it for under $200 a night. I go to NYC 3-4 times a year and this was one of the nicer hotels and is HUGE. Most hotels in NYC are fairly small. No free parking however. If you don't want to walk a few blocks to the pier you can catch a cab. To be honest though, it might be quicker to walk as it gets very, very congested with all the taxi's dropping people off at the pier. (This is dependent on how much luggage you have). I am a walker and have walked many blocks with luggage and have never run in to a problem. There is a wonderful diner near the INK also.

THANKS SO MUCH

We did the Canada cruise last year and my group and I stayed at the Skyline Hotel. It's really close to the terminal... like a couple of blocks. You could walk there if you didn't have luggage...lol. It was a nice hotel, has a restaurant, valet parking (I think the parking was like $25 for the night... which is not bad for NYC). If memory serves me correctly, the hotel room was around $300 for the 4 of us. Again... not bad for NYC.

I hope this info helps. I did a massive search before booking and at the time there was definitely no free parking. Enjoy your cruise!! Canada is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to go back!

We stayed at the recently reopened "INK" hotel which is within walking distance of the pier. We got it for under $200 a night. I go to NYC 3-4 times a year and this was one of the nicer hotels and is HUGE. Most hotels in NYC are fairly small. No free parking however. If you don't want to walk a few blocks to the pier you can catch a cab. To be honest though, it might be quicker to walk as it gets very, very congested with all the taxi's dropping people off at the pier. (This is dependent on how much luggage you have). I am a walker and have walked many blocks with luggage and have never run in to a problem. There is a wonderful diner near the INK also.

You bring up a good point.... the hotels in NYC are typically small from what I hear. I know the Skyline, where I stayed last year prior to the cruise, has tiny showers! But... overall, the hotel was really nice. I'm going to check out the INK!!! :)

Ras- We are on the 9/18 Glory and have booked a room in Weekhawken NJ. Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. It has a water taxi that will take you to downtown Manhattan in less than 5 min.

FYI, according to their schedule, the NY Waterway service from Lincoln Harbor to W. 39th St. in Manhattan only operates Monday through Friday. On the weekends you have to take a shuttle bus from Lincoln Harbor to Port Imperial (also in Weehawken) and catch the ferry there.

We stayed at the recently reopened "INK" hotel which is within walking distance of the pier. We got it for under $200 a night. I go to NYC 3-4 times a year and this was one of the nicer hotels and is HUGE. There is a wonderful diner near the INK also.

This is good to hear. Thanks, Pam. ;)

Archived