Wine Package - In advance or on board?

We would like to purchase a wine package (maybe even two :) ) for our cruise.

These are available on the RCCL website for pre-purchase. Is there any advantage in doing so, or are the prices for the packages the same on day of embarkation?

Subsidiary question : Are there any "happy hour" offers for cocktails ?

Thanks

B&T

We would like to purchase a wine package (maybe even two :) ) for our cruise.

These are available on the RCCL website for pre-purchase. Is there any advantage in doing so, or are the prices for the packages the same on day of embarkation?

Subsidiary question : Are there any "happy hour" offers for cocktails ?

Thanks

B&T

No difference before or on boarding. Same price.

Don't know about happy hour (do not think so) but they have daily drink specials if you like FuFu drinks, I don't.

No happy hours on the ships usually. They do have the daily fu fu drink specials.

Wine packages are the same on the ship as before boarding. They will be set up outside the buffet on boarding day pushing their wine packages and soft drink package. You will later see them on the royal promenade when they have their shops open and "specials" offered the first night.

Thanks for the info brman and satxdiver.

If stocks are running low near the end of the cruise :) is it still possible to buy a smaller wine package?

If either of you are "winos" :D what do you think of the packages? I personally thought that the Gold Package was good value. Diamond seemed overpriced for the extra wines offered and Platinum seemed middle of the road. Any recommendations?

Thanks (& cheers)

B&T

The only difference will be payment...if you book in advance, you will pay for it in advance. If you wait until you're on the ship, it will go on your ship account.

I think ALL of the wine is priced out of sight...waaay too much 'mark up'!

Hi B&T,

Did you see the thread on the wine package "over analysis". A nice CC Member did a cost analysis of the packages vs. the per bottle cost and the savings. For us, we decided to try out some of the wines (at home)and are going with the Platinum package. The best value of course, is to choose from the 2 or 3 most expensive wines.

Here's the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129043&highlight=wine+package+over+analysis

Thanks for the info brman and satxdiver.

If stocks are running low near the end of the cruise :) is it still possible to buy a smaller wine package?

If either of you are "winos" :D what do you think of the packages? I personally thought that the Gold Package was good value. Diamond seemed overpriced for the extra wines offered and Platinum seemed middle of the road. Any recommendations?

Thanks (& cheers)

B&T

The Gold package is good. Like the OP said if you book the package you have the peace of mind of having it ordered and paying for it up front. If you wait until the cruise it will go on your seapass.

You have to consider the length of the cruise as for us on a 11 night we ran out of the wine that we were drinking so we should have ordered more in the beginning.

Also they do have wine tasting and pairing while on the cruise for a small charge for the tasting.

Hi,

I'll be going on my first cruise soon and seriously looking at buying the wine up front. My main reason is not so much the cost but more worried about stock levels - do they stock up only before leaving the UK or will they also load again at the other ports. I've been on smaller boats (more like a booze cruise) and they have a tendency to run out of the nicer drinks early on.

I'm not a big drinker but prefer the taste to a lot of these softer drinks that have a tendency to attack your teeth.

I just purchased the wine package, in advance, and there was no sales tax applied. I don't know if it is a state by state thing but I live in Texas. I suppose you could go through the motion as if you were going to purchase and if the sales tax appeared, cancel out.

I just purchased the wine package, in advance, and there was no sales tax applied. I don't know if it is a state by state thing but I live in Texas. I suppose you could go through the motion as if you were going to purchase and if the sales tax appeared, cancel out.

You are right I do believe it depends on the state. Also, when my friend purchased it while in port the tax was added but they were able to get it removed. When it was purchased once at sea no tax at all.

BTW, I was able to pick up my wine at the plaza bar at the windjammer cafe. They did not limit me to the MDR. I was on deck 10 so this worked out great!

Archived