Combining 2 families in a family suite??

surrocruiser

We are considering a large family trip (my parents, hubby and myself, 2 daughters - 17 and 15, and our 2 year old son along with my 6 year old nephew).

Would it be more cost effective to do 3 rooms while trying to get 2 that are connecting or doing a family suite? From what I have read, Royal Caribbean has the best larger family suites but I'm not sure.

A TA would be a great help but I have worked with 3 different ones and it always seems like I know more than they do (thanks cruise critic!!).

We are considering a large family trip (my parents, hubby and myself, 2 daughters - 17 and 15, and our 2 year old son along with my 6 year old nephew).

Would it be more cost effective to do 3 rooms while trying to get 2 that are connecting or doing a family suite? From what I have read, Royal Caribbean has the best larger family suites but I'm not sure.

A TA would be a great help but I have worked with 3 different ones and it always seems like I know more than they do (thanks cruise critic!!).

I think you'll need to do your own comparison shopping. I think given the large group you're talking about, you'd really want 3 rooms, rather than a family suite -- privacy issues, access to bathroom, all are important.

Remember that you can book 2 cabins and list you as the "adult" in one, your husband as "adult" in the other..and once on board, get extra keys, so the older teens can have their own room, and you and your husband and the little ones can stay in your own cabin, the grandparents in theirs (making 3 cabins) (or however you want to break up the family).

Adjoining suites would work..as well as maybe a balcony, and then interior cabin across the hall for the teens. But this is something you'll have to decide yourself.

I would either price this out using the Royal Caribbean web site or I would give them a call and do this on the phone.

Keith

While Royal does have nice "Royal Family Suites," I'm not sure how well it would work for your group. There is one very nice bedroom with private bath that I assume would be for your parents. Then, there is a small bedroom with two bunk beds (teens on top bunks, 6 year-old on bottom - 2 year old either on other bottom or in pack&play in the livingroom). There is a second bath outside of this room that would be shared with the two people (you and your DH) who would be sleeping on the not-so-comfy sofabed in the livingroom.

You do get use of the conscierge lounge with this suite, including cocktails in the evening, but the children would not be permitted during this time.

I'd personally go for 3 rooms. I personally think that is a lot of people to be sharing two bathrooms!! :) I'd put the kids and yourself in an adjoining room and then I'd put the parents on the other side of the kids. :) Plus there are the privacy issues. I personally need my space.

The Presidential Family Suites are NOT likely to be cost effective. Traveling off peak (mid-December, balcony rooms were going for $600 pp or something at one point), first and second are $3200 and passengers 3-12 are $1200 for our cruise. It was significantly more during peak travel times. We could have a RFS with connecting balcony and another set of connecting balconies for cheaper, but my parents wanted the PFS enough to make up the difference (my brothers and I grew up in Navy housing, which was sometimes a hotel room for months on end, so closeness isn't a problem for us and my parents ... though we'll see what my husband and sister-in-law think after a week!!!)

We booked a Family Cruise on the Caribbean Princes last summer. We were 9 adults and 5 children. DH and I ( grand parents ) booked an aft Balcony suite with a son, his DW and grandson next door with adjoining balcony connection. Then two sons and their DW's each with two children 2, 4, 5 & 8 had mini suites just down the hall and one inside across the hall for another son. We all congregated in our aft balcony stateroom but everyone had their privacy etc. It worked great and being in aft section of the ship provided a lot of privacy and less traffic. The kids had a blast visiting each others cabins and our door was always open. WE cruised to Caribbean 9 days and the ride was smooth even being aft. It was a memorable experience and we'll be sharing memories for a long time...............enjoy your cruise...........these boards will help you tremendously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived