Just back from Baltic Cruise on Voyager!

We just got back from the 7/11-7/18 Baltic cruise last night. We had a fabulous time! The Voyager was great, the food outstanding, the service was great and staff very friendly. The entertainment was also very good. The only negative (and no fault of Voyager) was the temps while we were there. In St. PEtersburg, they were having the hottest weather in 38 years. We are from Texas so we are used to the hot weather but nothing in ST. Petersburg was air-conditioned. You get a lot of tourists into the palaces, cathedrals, etc. and it gets very hot! The last two days of the trip were more normal temps. We left for STockholm 3 days before our cruise. I had checked weather.com and it indicated that the temps were going to be high 70's and low 60's so we packed accordingly. We weren't the only people on the ship that did this. This was the topic of conversation the whole week.

We did the ship's tours everywhere except for St. Petersburg. We had a private guide for those 3 days. On the whole, though, we thought the ships tours were very good - some better than others.

We ate most of our evening meals in the Compass Rose. The fresh fish was very good. We ate in Prime 7 one night and Signatures one night. We both liked both of them. We weren't disappointed in any of our meal selections.

We had an aft suite. We were aware that there could be vibrations but only noticed it the first night. The Baltic Sea is like sailing in bath water, very calm. We loved having a butler. He brought us breakfast every morning, canapes in the afternoon, took care of our laundry, etc. It was nice dealing with just one person for everything.

The internet was spotty at times. I was trying to keep a blog and it was difficult getting our photos uploaded at times. I think at one point we were without internet for two days.

This was a very port intensive cruise - could have used a sea day right after ST. Petersburg.

We've already booked additional cruises on the Voyager!

Karen

Hi Karen - thanks for your review - its 3 weeks tomorrow until we get on for our Baltic cruise. You mentioned you were in Stockholm for a time - are there any "most do" things there - I am researching like mad, and really not quite sure what to see or do - also the same for Copenhagen?

You mentioned the entertainment was quite good - what was it? Did they bring any outside performers onboard - last year in Kusadasi we had local turkish dancers at the deck BBQ - I wondered if they were doing anything similar in perhaps St Petersburg as we are there for 2 nights?

Getting very excited now, and hopefully the weather will stay at least warm with no rain - this is the first time we have done a cruise that won't be boiling hot, and I am not sure how I feel about it at the moment :o

Thanks

Dee

Dee - In Stockholm, we did a canal tour and the Hop On Hop Off bus. You will see some of the same things but still interesting. The Vasa Museum is a must! Very good! We also had a typical smorgasbord at The Grand Hotel. We both enjoyed that. Also went to the Absolut Ice Bar - kind of touristy but still fun. We also spent some time wandering around Gamla Stan. The Royal Palace is right there, too. Those are the main thngs we did in STockholm.

The first night the entertainment was "Listen to the Music" - very good. The second night (which we did not see) was Russian Ballroom Dancing. There really wasn't any entertainment Tues and Weds as most people were very tired from touring all day in St. Petersburg. We did go to the Russian Song and Dance show on Tuesday night. It was quite colorful and the dancers very good although the theatre was very hot! Thursday, the Regent singers had to change their show as the drummer didn't make it back to the boat on time! The substitution was OK. Friday night's entertainment was outstanding! It was "Sailing through Broadway". The singers and dancers had put this show together themselves while on the World Cruise. Again, outstanding! Saturday night, was Krew Kapers at 6:00 and then a Beatles rendition in the Atrium at 9:30.

In Copenhagen, we did a canal tour. We toured the Rosenborg Castle, had lunch at Tivoli Gardens and walked around Nyhavn. WE didn't have a whole lot of time.

Enjoy your cruise! I know you will!

Karen

Thank you, Karen, this was most interesting and informative. We are taking the exact same cruise next year and looking forward to it immensely.

Did you stop at Warnedmunde? If so, is it worth taking the long train ride to Berlin or is there enough to see and do in Rostock?

Thanks for the info. We are sailing the 12 night Baltic Voyager in August. What was appropriate attire in St Petersburg during the day? Jeans OK? Did you go on a canal cruise there?

I appreciate any and all input as I am getting excited.

We did the canal cruise excursion last August, and it was wonderful. We had a beautiful day for it, too. We had never realized that St. Petersburg was considered the "Venice of Russia." It was a pleasant surprise.

Hi Karen - thanks for your review - its 3 weeks tomorrow until we get on for our Baltic cruise. You mentioned you were in Stockholm for a time - are there any "most do" things there - I am researching like mad, and really not quite sure what to see or do - also the same for Copenhagen?

Thanks

Dee

Dee,

In addition to txladycruiser' suggestions, I would add visiting the City Hall in Stockholm - truly one of the highlights of my visit there. The tours are timed so you must check the schedule. It is the place where they hold the reception dinner for the Nobel prize laureates.

In Copenhagen - a leisurely walk along pedestrian Stroget will give you a feel for the city and the locals (along with all the tourists). I like their open face sandwiches (smorrebrod) in endless varieties.

Enjoy your cruise.

Karen,

Thank you for the nice review - we will be on the Voyager in November for our first Regent cruise.

Paul

Karen we are departing on this same cruise August 21 and was thrilled to read your posting, thank you so much for taking the time. At what piers did you dock in Copenhagen and Stockholm - I'm trying to plan transportation to/from our hotels (booked independently).

Thanks, Liz

Karen we are departing on this same cruise August 21 and was thrilled to read your posting, thank you so much for taking the time. At what piers did you dock in Copenhagen and Stockholm - I'm trying to plan transportation to/from our hotels (booked independently).

Thanks, Liz

Liz - In STockholm, we were docked at Frihammen (sp?) and in Copenhagen, I think it was Freeport. It is fairly close to where the Little Mermaid usually sits. We did our own transportation in both Stockholm and Copenhagen. It wasn't far at all. There were plenty of taxis at the dock in Copenhagen when we disembarked.

Karen

What did you do in Oslo? No excursion really caught my eye but I signed up for "Panoramic Oslo" which is mainly a bus tour. We decided to do Tallinn and Visby on our own, altho' we will be doing a 2 day private tour in St. Petersburg. I've decided we will need some "down" time before we do the 2 day private tours so will be staying aboard the ship, which is something I love to do anyway and I agree that one more day at sea would be so relaxing!!! We leave for the Baltics on Aug. 26th and will board after spending one night in Stockholm.

What did you do in Oslo? No excursion really caught my eye but I signed up for "Panoramic Oslo" which is mainly a bus tour. We decided to do Tallinn and Visby on our own, altho' we will be doing a 2 day private tour in St. Petersburg. I've decided we will need some "down" time before we do the 2 day private tours so will be staying aboard the ship, which is something I love to do anyway and I agree that one more day at sea would be so relaxing!!! We leave for the Baltics on Aug. 26th and will board after spending one night in Stockholm.

Oslo was not on our itinerary. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time on your cruise.

Karen

DH & I did this cruise in 2008. We chose to skip the 3+ hour ride each way into Berlin and spent the morning on a Rostock tour and the afternoon in Warnemunde. There was a festival the day we were there - grilled sausages, beer, music and a really neat singing competition with traditional folk songs was taking place. We walked down to the sea and watched the kites flying (there is an area reserved just for this purpose). All in all a really enjoyable day that gave us a taste of Germany.

In Stockholm, we would also highly recommend visiting Vasa, the restored Viking ship. It's a quick ferry ride from Gamla Stan.

Karen, I'm glad you had such an enjoyable cruise!! Just one more ? I have no clue as to how much krona to get from the ATM at the Stockholm airport because we will be there a day and 1/2 before boarding. Do you remember how much the cost was for the ferry from Gamla Stan and the admission to the Vasa Museum. I assume they don't take credit cards. OH, sorry, 1 more...how much do the outdoor potties cost, if you had an occassion to use one?

Thanks so much for your great review and answering everyone's questions!!

Patty

Karen, I'm glad you had such an enjoyable cruise!! Just one more ? I have no clue as to how much krona to get from the ATM at the Stockholm airport because we will be there a day and 1/2 before boarding. Do you remember how much the cost was for the ferry from Gamla Stan and the admission to the Vasa Museum. I assume they don't take credit cards. OH, sorry, 1 more...how much do the outdoor potties cost, if you had an occassion to use one?

Thanks so much for your great review and answering everyone's questions!!

Patty

I think we exchanged about $200 at the airport. But, we did use our cc at a lot of places. Even most taxi's take credit cards. I believe the admission fee to the Vasa was about 100-110 SEK. I think they did take credit cards too. No, didn't use an outdoor potty!

Archived