Whale watching in Halifax?

We will be in Halifax on July 29th and would like to go whale watching. Has anyone done this? Did they see alot of whales? Thanks for any info you can give.

I did a whale watch in Nova Scotia in the month of August...It was FOGGY.

We had a great experience, however :D Only saw one humpback but it was magnificent. The boat we were on was only a 25 footer, so the whale was bigger than the boat and she came right along side us. We didn't see here there until she was right on top of us because of the fog. It was frickin awesome!!!!!

I love whale watching. Obviously, you are never guaranteed a sighting, but if you are fortunate enough to see one, it is so worth it.

My DH and I try to do at least one whale watch every year from where we live. Even if we don't see anything, we enjoy being on a boat :D

I HIGHLY recommend doing this!!

we went last june 09 and that was early in the season and we did see a minke whale which was cool. july you should see more. just remember, whale sightings are not guaranteed. but if you want to do it i say go for it!

The summer is the time to see tons of whales up there, but of course you're ona cruise up north so I assume it'll be in the summer time some time. Lots of minkie, humpback, maybe a few fin, it's a good time. Remember--bigger boat you take, less chance of getting sick....

Have no idea as to the season for whales but suggest you go to the port of call pages for info.

I did, no replies

Thanks for all the replies. I know we will have to take dramamine but as long as we see whales, I don't mind :)

We were on the Glory last week and saw no offerings on the pier for whale watching. I will also say I was not looking for it either. A friend I made on the cruise told me she saw a whale on the aft side of the Glory as we were getting ready to leave Halifax. I missed it :(

The Glory offers an excursion for Whale Watching that is 2 1/2 hours long. We are still thinking about it. My husband and son have seen whales before while they were out fishing here in NY but my daughter and I have not.

Please let me know what you decided when you get back.I would like to go whale watching in Sept.

First go to tripadvisor and do a search for more information. For Nova Scotia or New Brunswick August and September are the best times. Best places are Digby/Brier Island, or the west coast of Cape Breton - Cheticamp/Pleasant Bay. It is good to see that people have had great experiences out of Halifax. For a private tour, google Halifax whale watching tours and you will find several operators.

I have been whale watching several times and it is a thrill every time.

Please let me know what you decided when you get back.I would like to go whale watching in Sept.

It was horrible!!!

The water was rough so the captain would not go further out in the ocean because she did not want people to get sick. This was completely unfair to the people who were not sick and/or took precautions to make sure they weren't sick and paid to see whales. The crew also did not point out or slow down the boat when they saw seals so people could see them. If you happen to be next to someone on the upper deck with a good eye, you saw them. If you weren't, you were out of luck. The excursion was also shortened. When we signed up and paid for the excursion, Carnival stated the excursion was from 9:45-12:45. The boat returned to the dock. by 12:00. It was a big disappointment for my family. We were really looking forward to this excurison.

Archived