Friends of Bill W ???

UK_Cruiser

I have just read Jasons Dailies and see there was a meeting of "Friends of Bill W"

Not knowing what this meant I googled it.

So NCL Have AA Meetings on board ?

Blimey !

Yes, "Friends of Bill W" meetings are held on many cruise lines. I have personally noticed them listed in the daily programs for the Princess and Cunard voyages I have been on.

Yes, "Friends of Bill W" meetings are held on many cruise lines. I have personally noticed them listed in the daily programs for the Princess and Cunard voyages I have been on.

Interesting

Makes sense I suppose. Allows alcoholics to holiday knowing that they still have support with them during recovery.

Maybe I should join in based upon my last cruise onboard account ;)

Well, as a gay guy, I didn't initially think your comment was that offensive. But when someone pointed out your mistake, albeit a minor one in my book and then you get dismissive, yup. Offensive.

Not dismissive. Just not wanting to argue over semantics Rick, I didn't feel the need to defend myself further when I had already said I didn't intend to disparage anyone. No offense was meant to anyone.

Now, I'll just move along to a tipping or toilet thread.

Even worse.... a "gay drunk" probably wouldn't BE at the Friends of Bill W. a "gay ex-drunk", might be....

The "gay drunk" will probably be at Bliss, if the TA was any indication!!! :D:eek::cool: I swear that place had more 'family' than the bars in downtown Toronto.

I don't see where I said anything wrong. Is gay not a politically correct term? I'm confused here. Didn't mean to disparage anyone. :confused:

You didn't say anything wrong and no need to apologize.

There is no constitutional protection against being offended. The words 'homphobe' and 'racist' have totally lost any meaning due to overuse and misuse.

Party on.

I have been sober for over 32 years and still say I am a drunk but not drinking today

Congratulations on your long-term, stable recovery. I am not in recovery. But I work in the addiction field. We try to be very careful about terminology in the addiction field.

Congratulations on your long-term, stable recovery. I am not in recovery. But I work in the addiction field. We try to be very careful about terminology in the addiction field.

Very true. Words do matter, and I apologize for my flippant references a few posts back.... in the same way that the terms homophobia or racism DO still mean something to those who are victimized by them, so should I have been more sensitive to those who are overcoming addiction.

I smoked cigarettes for 20 years (pack/day), and quit 10 years ago....but there are still moments when you realize you're not far from the addiction.

You didn't say anything wrong and no need to apologize.

There is no constitutional protection against being offended. The words 'homphobe' and 'racist' have totally lost any meaning due to overuse and misuse.

Party on.

My turn to be dismissive: Whatever

Something I should not admit.......

On our first cruise I notice the Bill W meetings and was unaware of who or what Bill W was other than the fact that his group met a few times on the ship.

On the next cruise I noticed that once again Bill W was on board. What a coincidence I thought. Two different lines and this guy who had a lot of friends apparently was on the same ship as we were again.

On the third cruise I finally asked who this Bill W guy was. It finally hit me that this was not a simple coincidence. How could we always be cruising together .......I then discovered who he was :)

As mentioned "The Friends of Dorothy" meet. As well of course there are Sabbath Services and Sunday Services as well. Heck there might even be some swingers meetings

On the politically correct notes.....

I once went to a comedian that was in a wheelchair. He did a whole schtick on how many different things he was called in his life as what was politically correct changed from time to time.

He recounted how he went from from being 'crippled' to "mobility challenged" and all things in between.

He was making light of how every few years he become a new person with a 'title' made up by other people to make him feel better.

His message was for other people to get over it. He was just a comedian in a wheelchair.

Good luck to anyone fighting any addiction. As a smoker that does not take part in the act anymore, I know how it never really leaves you.

Archived