Senior Citizen Rate

On our recent Serenade cruise we booked a military discount rate, as my DH is retired AF.

It wasn't until we got home that it struck me that no one ever asked him to show his military ID or any other proof that he was eligible for the discount.

Of course I would never want to count on no one asking for proof, but that was our experience.

Ok...help me understand...

We live in SC, but travel with another couple from CT...we book the same cabin level and there's a discount for CT residents, but not SC...we could put 1 CT & 1 SC resident in one room and the other 2 in another, and thus ALL would get the CT Res discount?? :confused:

Not planning on doing it, just trying to understand it..

Personally, I would think that the residency discount would apply on a passenger by passenger basis...but that's my opinion...:rolleyes:

Yes.

My husband and I both qualify for the senior rate. We have two cabins booked on Oasis for May and one cabin is for us and the other one we have our 2 sons booked, who are 22 & 18. Does that mean I would be better off changing it so that my husband is in a cabin with one son and I am in the cabin with the other son so that all four of us would get the discounted rate if it becomes available?

Ok...help me understand...

We live in SC, but travel with another couple from CT...we book the same cabin level and there's a discount for CT residents, but not SC...we could put 1 CT & 1 SC resident in one room and the other 2 in another, and thus ALL would get the CT Res discount?? :confused:

Not planning on doing it, just trying to understand it..

Personally, I would think that the residency discount would apply on a passenger by passenger basis...but that's my opinion...:rolleyes:

Yes I took my daughters and granddaughter (1 daughter and granddaughter live in a different state) they were offering a CA discount so I put granddaughter with me and my daughters together, both cabins got the CA residency rate.

Would I have to change the booking of the cabins now just in case a discount comes up or could I change it after the discount is being offered?

RC's policy is that you can change the second passenger in a cabin without altering the booking, but not the "lead" or first passenger.

You may run into difficulty later trying to switch names.

But I'm not sure.

I hope that some TA's who regularly post on CC will chime in here.

RC's policy is that you can change the second passenger in a cabin without altering the booking, but not the "lead" or first passenger.

You may run into difficulty later trying to switch names.

But I'm not sure.

I hope that some TA's who regularly post on CC will chime in here.

As long as 1 person stays on the booking, never have had a problem changing the other one. It didn't matter if they were the first or second in a cabin. Do this on a regular basis.

I don't think it matters if you do it now or wait until there is a reason to.

Just out of sheer curiosity, how much is the senior discount - I know we get it (DH not me!!!) - or does it depend on length of cruise, etc. rather than just a percentage.

It is a lower rate, no specific amount or percentage. It is not offered on every cruise and may only be offered for a short period of time when it is.

I believe the woman who applied for Texas residency was asked for proof from husband or wife, not that she AND her husband had to submit two proofs. And when you select the special rate, be it residency, military, police or senior, a pop up comes up and states that you will be asked for this proof at the pier and if you do not have it you will be required to pay the difference. I know, I as we are eligible for florida residency, police and age and probably use it 90% of the time. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't.

Only 1 guest in each cabin must qualify for the special rate code (SR, Milt, Res, etc.) . 17 + years in the business and it's always been that way.

Often , when special rate is the best rate , and couples that both qualify ,are cruising with another cabin that does not qualify , they book 1

qualfing guest in each cabin to get the rate. They then adjust cabin keys at the purser once onboard. Very common;).

Our sailing just had a "senior" rate come up. The travel agent changed the rate for my Mom (the senior), but not for me. After reading this thread, it sounds like they should have changed both of ours. Is that correct?

Huh. That is not possible within RCI's system unless you have items like Future Cruise Credits on your reservation that would change individual pricing. The way their pricing system works is that if one person gets restricted pricing, everyone in the booking gets restricted pricing. I would bet that your TA gave you a internal invoice and not an RCI invoice. It is their error.

Do I have to do that now even though a senior rate discount is not offered or should I wait until it's offered and then switch it? Would they even let me do that?

You can do it whenever. They do that all the time.

[quote name='BonTXNY'][COLOR=darkorchid][B]We received a TX residency rate on our recent Voyager cruise. When we checked in, we were never asked for any proof of residency. Of course we had it handy just in case.[/B][/COLOR][/quote]Note that if they do ask, and you can't prove it, you will probably get the last minute walk-up fare, not your previous quoted rate. Rates often go down after final payment, but are usually bumped back up a lot right at the end. Could be expensive if you don't have proof.

Thom

[quote name='TravelerThom']Note that if they do ask, and you can't prove it, you will probably get the last minute walk-up fare, not your previous quoted rate. Rates often go down after final payment, but are usually bumped back up a lot right at the end. Could be expensive if you don't have proof.

Thom[/quote]

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Exactly why we always have proof of residency :D I was really surprised they never did ask.[/B][/COLOR]

Archived