AKRR Anchorage to Seward then Kenai Fjords-luggage?

ridge4

Prior to our RCCL southbound, we will be spending a day in Anchorage then taking the AKRR to Seward early the next morning. We will then be doing the Kenai Fjords National Park tour with Kenai Fjords Tours before boarding the ship that evening. The tour company booked both the rail and the tour for us.

For those that have done this independently, how does the luggage situation work, exactly? I have seen some comments about checking the luggage straight through to the ship on check-in with AKRR, but these might have been people on ship transfers. Kenai Fjords tours assured me it would all be handled. I'm not at all worried, just wondering about the actual logistics, and at what points I would have access to our luggage.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Hmmm, looks like there could be options. I will check and see if RCCL is there when I check in and talk with them. Thanks!

Hi - we posted the same question a week ago and many told us we could check our luggage with Royal Caribbean before we do our tours. We called RC and confirmed it... thought I'd pass that on. Have fun!

The info at this site:

http://blog.alaskatravel.com/seward-cruise-port-and-transportation

seems to confirm it can be checked through:

If you are staying in an Anchorage hotel the night prior to embarkation you can take the Alaska Railroad’s Coastal Classic daily service to Seward. The only challenge with the rail service is that the depot is located just far enough away from the Seward dock that it’s too far to walk for most folks. So you’ll have to arrange for one of Seward’s few taxis to take you over to the dock. The good news is that the cruise lines will pick up your luggage from the Anchorage Rail Depot and deliver it to your cabin on board your ship in Seward so you don’t have to carry it yourself.

Nice. :)

Before our cruise I was trying to find out about the luggage situation from Anchorage to Seward and I called ARR and was told that we could check our luggage in Anchorage and our luggage would be delivered to the ship, but I was reading conflicting reports so I was a little nervous about it, I even called a taxi company in Seward to check the rates and to find out if they would be at the train station if we needed a taxi, I wanted a back up plan just in case. When we arrived at the station the first thing you do is check your luggage, there is a tented area where you check your luggage and there are two areas one is with Royal Caribbean where your luggage will be delivered to the ship, just make sure your cruise luggage tags on. The other area was ARR for people needing to claim their luggage in Seward. I hope this information is helpful. This info is from our SB Radiance cruise on June 11, 2010.

Before our cruise I was trying to find out about the luggage situation from Anchorage to Seward and I called ARR and was told that we could check our luggage in Anchorage and our luggage would be delivered to the ship, but I was reading conflicting reports so I was a little nervous about it, I even called a taxi company in Seward to check the rates and to find out if they would be at the train station if we needed a taxi, I wanted a back up plan just in case. When we arrived at the station the first thing you do is check your luggage, there is a tented area where you check your luggage and there are two areas one is with Royal Caribbean where your luggage will be delivered to the ship, just make sure your cruise luggage tags on. The other area was ARR for people needing to claim their luggage in Seward. I hope this information is helpful. This info is from our SB Radiance cruise on June 11, 2010.

Very helpful, thank you! I take it from this information that you checked your luggage in Anchorage and it was delivered to your cabin without incident?

The Kenai Fjords people had told me that they were happy to care for our luggage so this is all news to me. Will look out for the RCCL option at Seward station.... of course there's always the possibility that the tour people will take them at Alyeska for us....I too have all bases covered...or thought I had! Thanks for posting the question!

Archived