Epic & Freedom of the Seas in St Thomas

Tyron

Nope to me she looks bigger even though they are about the same capacity.

Whatever happens I know she will be much more fun than the Freedom class ships of which I am now bored of.

Variety is the spice of life...:cool:

So many cruise lines, so many awesome ships for everyone to enjoy based on their own personal preference/taste.

Variety is the spice of life...:cool:

So many cruise lines, so many awesome ships for everyone to enjoy based on their own personal preference/taste.

Exactly I intend to try as many lines and ships as possible.

Looking forward to trying NCL for the first time and then who knows ?

Might even slum it with Carnival :D

Actually Freedom of the seas is not bigger than Norwegian Epic.... Epic is 155,800 tons and Freedom is 154 thousand and some change tons. Epic is wider and taller only in length is Freedom greater by a few feet.

What is epic about the Epic?

Definition: EPIC - very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale)

I think if you put the Norwegian Epic side by side against any of the grand tranatlantic liners of that bygone era she would fit that description. Even when compared against quite a few of todays modern cruise ships (like those shown in the pictures of her in NYC) the Norwegian Epic surpasses the 'ordinary' cruise ships alongside her. The Norwegian Epic actually surpasses the 'ordinary' found on and in a lot of cruise ships these days, many which have almost become quite monotonous in their offerings. And in a world of clones, Norwegian Epic is anything but ordinary in appearance.

EPIColdliners.JPG

Norwegian Epic and Carnival Miracle in NYC. Carnival Miracle is typical in size of the 17 Spirit/Vista-class cruise ships.

EPICcarnival.JPG

Definition: EPIC - very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale)

I think if you put the Norwegian Epic side by side against any of the grand tranatlantic liners of that bygone era she would fit that description.

"I think if you put the Norwegian Epic side by side against any of the grand tranatlantic liners" she would fit no description other than "disgusting floating apartment building".

Please don't put them side by side any more.:)

Again, what I see epic in Epic's history: the epic shipyard, the epic route for the enaugural sailing, the epic pier 88 for arrival.

Please don't put them side by side any more.:)

You mean like this ;) :

EPICfrance.JPG

Technically the Norwegian Epic did not leave from the old famous art deco Southampton Ocean Terminal which was demolished in 1983. Across the slip from where the old Ocean Terminal use to stand is the newer Ocean Terminal completed in 2009 and now primarily used by P&O and the Queen Victoria. But that is also not where the Norwegian Epic left from either. EPIC departed from the City Terminal in Southampton near Mayflower Park (used primarily by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity) which sits next to the new Carnival UK HQ building. There is also the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal a little ways down the harbor (used now by QM2) and the Mayflower Terminal (confusingly NOT the closest to Mayflower Park) primarily used by Princess as well at P&O.

Southampton%20Ocean%20Terminal17.JPG

Ocean-Dock_QE1-01.jpg

http://www.beyondships.com/Ports-Southampton-1.html

Berths.JPG

You mean like this ;) :

EPICfrance.JPG

Nice! Can u do a comparison like the above of the Epic in comparison to the QM2, Oasis and Freedom class ships??? Please, please!? LOL :D:cool:

You mean like this ;) :

EPICfrance.JPG

Nice! Can u do a comparison like the above of the Epic in comparison to the QM2, Oasis and Freedom class ships??? Please, please!? LOL :D:cool:

EPIC and OASIS are really not that much different (don't beat me up!) as far as height (as seen in the below overlap comparison) but OASIS is much wider and longer.

The QM2, EPIC, and Freedom-class are nearly about the same as far as overall dimensions so they would just overlap each other if I tried to do the same as I did with the EPIC and FRANCE.

BIGcompare.JPG

AWESOME!!!!!!! Thank u sooo much!!! :D:cool::D

I agree...the Oasis really outshines other ships with her width. When we were in Port Everglades with the Independence of the Seas it was the width that made her size apparent between the two ships....

ALL ships will fall within the same height range due to the various bridges they encounter (Great Belt Bridge, Verranazzo, etc.):cool:

But...ya gotta admit they all "fit" within the Oasis' scale. LOL

You mean like this :

Technically the Norwegian Epic did not leave from the old famous art deco Southampton Ocean Terminal which was demolished in 1983. Across the slip from where the old Ocean Terminal use to stand is the newer Ocean Terminal completed in 2009 and now primarily used by P&O and the Queen Victoria. But that is also not where the Norwegian Epic left from either. EPIC departed from the City Terminal in Southampton near Mayflower Park (used primarily by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity) which sits next to the new Carnival UK HQ building. There is also the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal a little ways down the harbor (used now by QM2) and the Mayflower Terminal (confusingly NOT the closest to Mayflower Park) primarily used by Princess as well at P&O.

Thank you for posting that for CC readers. Surely I know that. Unfortunately the Epic did not depart from the White Star Dock, so I couldn't add it to the list of what is epic about the Epic.

The Port of Southampton. The Olympic is berthed starboard at the Titanic's berth #43 in the White Star Dock right at the site of the future (old) Ocean Terminal. Note, although standing, this 1911 built elegant liner seems to be sliding on the water..:

111duo.jpg

RMS Titanic at her berth #43. Note South Western Hotel at the background:

116dc.jpg

The South Western Hotel and Canute Road in 1912 and my photo of ~1999:

113kl.jpg

My photo of the White Star Dock at the time "between the old and the new ocean terminals":

112ff.jpg

The view of the White Star Dock (Ocean Dock), Titanic's berth #43 and the site of the former Ocean Dock (from the Queen Mary 2 berthed at the new Ocean Dock on the other side):

114ul.jpg

My photo of SS Norway in the King George V Dry Dock (Southampton):

115y.jpg

The fact that NCL prolonged the life of SS France and the fact that Epic was built in the same shipyard contributed much in our decision to sail on the Epic.

Actually Freedom of the seas is not bigger than Norwegian Epic.... Epic is 155,800 tons and Freedom is 154 thousand and some change tons. Epic is wider and taller only in length is Freedom greater by a few feet.

Freedom is actually 160,000 grt...

Ship Facts s.gifMaiden Voyage: June 4, 2006

Passenger Capacity: 3,634 double occupancy

Godmother: Katherine Louise Calder

Gross Tonnage: 160,000

Length: 1,112'

Max Beam: 126.64'

Draft: 28'

Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots

Freedom is actually 160,000 grt...

Ship Facts:

Passenger Capacity: 3,634 double occupancy

Gross Tonnage: 160,000

Length: 1,112' *Max Beam: 126.64' *Draft: 28'

Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots

Royal Caribbean seems to have altered the tonnage upwards only since EPIC's introduction into service!!! :eek: *:rolleyes:

Pretty much every authoritative website out there including STX Aker Europe (her builders), the Encyclopedia Britannica, wikipedia, Nautical Cities, SimplonpcUK, etc list Freedom of the Seas at approx. 154,000

Freedom of the Seas Tonnage: gross tonnage*(GT)*of*154,407grt

http://www.stxeurope.com/?page=117&techinfo=1

Based on Gross Tonnage it appears that EPIC is the winner as her official GT measurement appears to be 155,873 gt a. This makes her slightly ‘bigger’ than the freedom class.

Royal Caribbean seems to have altered the tonnage upwards only since EPIC's introduction into service!!! :eek: *:rolleyes:

Pretty much every authoritative website out there including STX Aker Europe (her builders), the Encyclopedia Britannica, wikipedia, Nautical Cities, SimplonpcUK, etc list Freedom of the Seas at approx. 154,000

Based on Gross Tonnage it appears that EPIC is the winner as her official GT measurement appears to be 155,873 gt a. This makes her slightly ‘bigger’ than the freedom class.

RCCL always had the Freedom class listed at 160,000 grt.

No, no, no....RCI hasn't altered the Freedom class tonnage because of the Epic.:rolleyes: When the Freedom class was being built it stated that this class of ship would weigh in at 160,000. After she made her debut, her official tonnage is 154,407. RCI has no reason to be intimidated by NCL especially since they have copied a lot of their innovations:

ice rink (skating)

barber shop

bungee jumping

aqua park

rock climbing wall

Oops, I didnt mean to go here BUT.... LOL :D:D:D

RCCL always had the Freedom class listed at 160,000 grt.

Listed: 160,000grt (by Royal Caribbean)

Actual: 154,407grt (by STX Shipyard that built her)

Any way you look at it it's inaccurate. Why round UP the actual figure by over 5,500+ grt? False bragging rights?*

I guess the nice even rounded number of 160,000grt is more appealing because it looks like it's 'bigger' than all the other ships in the same field, i.e. Queen Mary 2 at 148,528grt, or about the same as Freedom OTS if her tonnage was rounded 'down' by the same amount RCCL rounded it 'up'.

Oasis of the Seas - 225,282grt (now THAT'S bragging rights!)

Norwegian Epic - 155,873grt

Freedom of the Seas - 154,407grt

Queen Mary 2 - 148,528 grt

RCI has no reason to be intimidated by NCL especially since they have copied a lot of their innovations:

ice rink (skating)

barber shop

bungee jumping

aqua park

rock climbing wall

Oops, I didnt mean to go here BUT.... * LOL *:D:D:D

These are not Royal Caribbean 'innovations'. They existed as activities on land-based resorts long before they did on RCCL ships. Sure they may have been 'first' to put them on a cruise ship, and EPIC has them now also, but that is not necessarily copying RCCL, but a logical progression in todays very large activity-focused cruise ships. Cruise ships have had places to get your hair cut and water slides for decades, just that large aqua parks and real looking 'Barber Shops with a pole out front' are a progression from what was on them before.

Listed: 160,000grt (by Royal Caribbean)

Actual: 154,407grt (by STX Shipyard that built her)

Any way you look at it it's inaccurate. Why round UP the actual figure by over 5,500+ grt? False bragging rights?*

I guess the nice even rounded number of 160,000grt is more appealing because it looks like it's 'bigger' than all the other ships in the same field, i.e. Queen Mary 2 at 148,528grt, or about the same as Freedom OTS if her tonnage was rounded 'down' by the same amount RCCL rounded it 'up'.

Oasis of the Seas - 225,282grt (now THAT'S bragging rights!)

Norwegian Epic - 155,873grt

Freedom of the Seas - 154,407grt

Queen Mary 2 - 148,528 grt

These are not Royal Caribbean 'innovations'. They existed as activities on land-based resorts long before they did on RCCL ships. Sure they may have been 'first' to put them on a cruise ship, and EPIC has them now also, but that is not necessarily copying RCCL, but a logical progression in todays very large activity-focused cruise ships. Cruise ships have had places to get your hair cut and water slides for decades, just that large aqua parks and real looking 'Barber Shops with a pole out front' are a progression from what was on them before.

INNOVATION:

1 : the introduction of something new

2 : a new idea, method, or device : novelty

These innovations were first introduced or in some instances re-introduced by RCI to the cruise industry (whether they may exist on land is really irrelevant). The bottom line is they are/were innovations for a cruise ship period. :)

My point is cruise lines have watched and incorporated various RCI innovations since the introduction of the Sovereign of the Seas (which introduced the first multi storied atriums & the first mega ship).

Also, the 160,000 GRT for the Freedom class ships was an estimated guess on the part of the shipyard/cruiseline before the final product. No different than when NCL first introduced the F3 newbuild would weigh in @ 150,000 GRT and the final product now weighs in @ 155,800....:):cool:

That same shipyard website is listing the QM2 @ 142,000. BTW, a lot of websites list the QM2 @ 151, 400 GRT.

http://www.stxeurope.com/?page=117&techinfo=78

As you already know when the Genesis project was introduced it was estimated to weigh in @ 220,000 GRT but as we now know she's a hefty 225,282!

WHEW! I'm tired now...LOL:D:cool::D

No, no, no....RCI hasn't altered the Freedom class tonnage because of the Epic.:rolleyes: When the Freedom class was being built it stated that this class of ship would weigh in at 160,000. After she made her debut, her official tonnage is 154,407. RCI has no reason to be intimidated by NCL especially since they have copied a lot of their innovations:

ice rink (skating)

barber shop

bungee jumping

aqua park

rock climbing wall

Oops, I didnt mean to go here BUT.... LOL :D:D

Barber shop = innovation !! :D:D:D

Laughing my arse off here

APPARENTLY, u dont know the definition for the word innovation....you're probably getting it confused with invention.

Laughing MY arse off!!! :D:D:D

INNOVATION - the "INTRODUCTION" of something new

and PLEASE don't try to turn a friendly conversation between dmwnc1959 and myself into a battleground.

and PLEASE don't try to turn a friendly conversation between dmwnc1959 and myself into a battleground.

?????? :confused:

I Have no idea what you are talking about. It was just an observation that Barbers shops were somewhat of a nineteenth century innovation.

?????? :confused:

I Have no idea what you are talking about. It was just an observation that Barbers shops were somewhat of a nineteenth century innovation.

accept my apology, please

Archived