Epic & Freedom of the Seas in St Thomas

Tyron

and PLEASE don't try to turn a friendly conversation between dmwnc1959 and myself into a battleground.

I surrender!!! :p

But seriously, as you mentioned there is a difference in the words and definitions of: 1) Invention, 2) Innovation, and 3) Innovative.

Royal Caribbean was being innovative in introducing land-based activites and themes like rock climbing walls, soaring massive atriums, giant aqua parks, a carousel, rollerblading, a giant park, and pool tables to their ships. The word innovation seems to revolve heavily around the word 'new'. Those items you originally mentioned were not 'new', they existed everwhere else but on cruise ships. Also these items were really no different than their land-based counterparts, just that that were on a ship. It would have been an innovation if they took an existing idea and vastly improved on it to make it new and different, unlike that specific items predecessor. Invention, and innovation, seem to go hand in hand: New, or making something new. Innovative, on the other hand, could be defined as 'groundbreaking, like nothing done or experienced before'.

I am not sure if it boils down to semantics. :confused:

Now THIS is a ship that is "much, much bigger" than it's neighbors! LOL

oasis-of-the-seas-size-comparison-300x144.jpg

GEORGE! I'm looking forward to trying her out. It'll be an interesting cruise hitting all those bars. LOL

You will be happy to know they have a pub crawl hitting 5 bars for $25 - first night. Later in the week (we just got off yesterday) they had the "pub crawl reunion tour". The group looked like they were having fun!

I surrender!!! :p

But seriously, as you mentioned there is a difference in the words and definitions of: 1) Invention, 2) Innovation, and 3) Innovative.

Royal Caribbean was being innovative in introducing land-based activites and themes like rock climbing walls, soaring massive atriums, giant aqua parks, a carousel, rollerblading, a giant park, and pool tables to their ships. The word innovation seems to revolve heavily around the word 'new'. Those items you originally mentioned were not 'new', they existed everwhere else but on cruise ships. Also these items were really no different than their land-based counterparts, just that that were on a ship. It would have been an innovation if they took an existing idea and vastly improved on it to make it new and different, unlike that specific items predecessor. Invention, and innovation, seem to go hand in hand: New, or making something new. Innovative, on the other hand, could be defined as 'groundbreaking, like nothing done or experienced before'.

I am not sure if it boils down to semantics. :confused:

LOL! I agree 100% :D

come back, UK....i thought your earlier post was meant 2 cause trouble. Sorry! :cool::)

You will be happy to know they have a pub crawl hitting 5 bars for $25 - first night. Later in the week (we just got off yesterday) they had the "pub crawl reunion tour". The group looked like they were having fun!

LOL! thanks 4 the info! i'll be signing up as soon as i cross the gangway :D

Yeah Tyron, I remember seeing that picture someplace before...really impressive shot.....there's no denying it!

Here's a request for anyone cruising on the Epic to Nassau. Do you think any of you might be able to take a shot like this of the Epic in port with other ships and possibly post it on this board? That's the only way I'll get to see it. Can't convince the wife to try this ship.

Because of the way we docked, you would have to be in a boat in the bay to get the picture. You probably know they are side by side and not end to end. We (in the Epic) towered over the Disney Wonder and seemed much larger than the Carnival Sensation too. We were two hours late arriving because we were cruising just offshore watching the tropical storm blow through. The Captain didn't give up, and got us in for a short visit.

Well, I feel the same way, but want to see the Epic. It's just the two of us, so we will work it out. Turn on the sink faucet and TV for white noise. Definitely bringing a can of air freshener and something whimsical to cover the infamous doors! Like I said, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!

Hope you can get her to change her mind. :)

Because of the way we docked, you would have to be in a boat in the bay to get the picture. *You probably know they are side by side and not end to end. *We (in the Epic) towered over the Disney Wonder and seemed much larger than the Carnival Sensation too. *We were two hours late arriving because we were cruising just offshore watching the tropical storm blow through. *The Captain didn't give up, and got us in for a short visit.

The picture of the 5 ships side by side in Nassau was taken from the bridge that goes over to Paradise Island. Note in the picture how elevated you are above the small boats in the foreground. Anyone on EPIC could do the same while the ship is docked in Nassau. Also note the harbor entrance can been seen between and behind the OASIS and Carnival Sensation. The 'tower' to the very left of the picture is downtown at the marketplace area.

oasis-of-the-seas-size-comparison.jpg

To Tyron and Loyal2RCCL,

While I would agree that RCI has done alot for cruising and would never try to detract from their accomplishments, I think it's only fair to point out a few more things beyond NCL's contribution of the "Freestyle" concept to cruising.

Here are a few "NCL Firsts" gathered from a website:

1966- MS Sunward -first ship to offer weekly cruises from Miami to the Caribbean

1977- NCL purchases Great Stirrup Cay - first private island for cruise ships

1979- NCL purchases SS France rebuilds her as SS Norway for the Caribbean, uses her size for more activities, dwarfs most ships sailing the area and paves the way for the next stage of cruise ships

1995- First cruiseline to establish website

1999- First kid's program across a fleet

2000- Freestyle Cruising announced

2002- First to provide WIFI

2005- First US-flagged cruise ship in almost 50 yrs. - Pride of America

2006- First cell phone service fleet wide

2006- First cruise ship to feature a bowling alley

Plus a few others that I didn't mention....

Like I said....I'm not trying to pit one against the other here as I have no loyalties to either. I'm just relaying some info from this site http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captainsvoyage/NCL_40_years.html

I cannot swear to its accuracy, but there are a lot of other pages on the site that may prove interesting reading for others as well. Once again, not trying to start a war here and sorry again for hijacking the thread.:)

To Tyron and Loyal2RCCL,

While I would agree that RCI has done alot for cruising and would never try to detract from their accomplishments, I think it's only fair to point out a few more things beyond NCL's contribution of the "Freestyle" concept to cruising.

Here are a few "NCL Firsts" gathered from a website:

1966- MS Sunward -first ship to offer weekly cruises from Miami to the Caribbean

1977- NCL purchases Great Stirrup Cay - first private island for cruise ships

1979- NCL purchases SS France rebuilds her as SS Norway for the Caribbean, uses her size for more activities, dwarfs most ships sailing the area and paves the way for the next stage of cruise ships

1995- First cruiseline to establish website

1999- First kid's program across a fleet

2000- Freestyle Cruising announced

2002- First to provide WIFI

2005- First US-flagged cruise ship in almost 50 yrs. - Pride of America

2006- First cell phone service fleet wide

2006- First cruise ship to feature a bowling alley

Plus a few others that I didn't mention....

Like I said....I'm not trying to pit one against the other here as I have no loyalties to either. I'm just relaying some info from this site http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captainsvoyage/NCL_40_years.html

I cannot swear to its accuracy, but there are a lot of other pages on the site that may prove interesting reading for others as well. Once again, not trying to start a war here and sorry again for hijacking the thread.:)

Jersey, I appreciate and thank you for your input! It definitely sheds some light on how each cruise line brings something new to the table thus increasing our cruise experience. :cool::)

Accepted.

I had you down as one of the good guys

I was right :)

Thank you! The feeling is mutual. I'd rather make friends than enemies anyday! LOL :cool::)

Someone posted this shot of Epic and Freedom of the Seas on the NCL Facebook page today. I thought I'd put it on this thread in case anyone is interested. Really nice shot that person took!

307nm8g.jpg

Someone posted this shot of Epic and Freedom of the Seas on the NCL Facebook page today. I thought I'd put it on this thread in case anyone is interested. Really nice shot that person took!

307nm8g.jpg

jerseyboy1, thanks a million 4 posting this pic!:D:cool: both ships look GREAT!

they look appear to be around the same size...no major difference in size.

Archived