Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

There is a mexican dish on the menu could be chili rellenos that generally is very good and not that spicy.

A few cruises ago it was way over the top.

No big deal as I than just ordered a flat iron steak. I enjoy them.

The only time I ordered the Chile Rellanos was on the ill-fated Ecstasy cruise of 2/19 which due to fog problems was delayed from getting into port. There were 6 of us back to backers who were still on the ship (the new passengers couldn't board yet) and the waiter said they were out of chiles (because they hadn't gotten resupplied) but the chef might be able to substitute. It involved broccoli and I wish I had ordered something else, lol.

The Worst is Flat Iron Steak, just terrible. We have ordered it many times with a different backup entre. Still waiting for one that is eatable.

The one and only time I ordered the flat iron steak, it was tender and full of flavor but it sounds like that it can be inconsistent.

Nope I'm with you and enjoy the turkey and dressing...now the next night they "reinvent" the leftover turkey into something that was not all that appearling:eek:

I ordered the turkey and dressing because I love dressing (stuffing). It was certainly different--tasted like it had fruit in it but it wasn't bad.

I know I'm also in the minority but I don't like it either. It's like eating a piece of cake that wasn't cooked all the way through.

the way the warm chocolate melting cake is supposed to be is fully cooked cake with a chocolate filling. We were given the recipe and I hope to make it sometime. It reminds me of the Chocolate Upside Down Cake I used to make. I like this dessert but could live without the ice cream which always seemed to be soft and melted.

I was sooooo looking forward to getting the warm melting cake, on our first cruise after reading everyone's comments.... So the first night... I got one.. THAT WAS THE LAST NIGHT I GOT ONE!!! It was the richest, rawest, nastiest thing I had!!! It is possible that maybe it was just not completely cooked that night, but it just was bad... Not really sure how to explain what made it bad, just was very disappointed I guess... Give me raw cookie dough anytime, but I guess I'm not in to raw cake!! LOL

It's like drinking thick, warm chocolate sauce right from the stove. I like chocolate sauce IN things,or ON things, not as the dessert. Sometimes the cake part is mush, other times it's hard and dry. People love it though.

Mmmmmmm....thick, warm chocolate sauce right from the stove. Love it. The again I love anything chocolate!!

I think the tres leche cake is consistently yucky - maybe it is cooked correctly and I just don't like it.....

It's supposed to be mushy. Being from a Cuban ancestry, this is a traditional desert, and one we all enjoy. You make a regular vanilla sponge cake, and then soak it with equal parts condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk. Top it off with whipped cream. Yummy! But I can see how it can get a little nasty, sometimes it's too sweet even for me:D

I'm sure I'll get flamed like crazy for this, but I thought most of the food on our cruise was mediocre at best. The real downers however were the flat iron steak and the ribs. I got the flat iron steak because people raved about it on here. Dh and I both thought it tasted like meat from a can. The ribs were very tough. I also thought the pizza at the pizza station was terrible. I can't believe they use processed cheese. I know they may have to cut some corners when it comes to food, but sheesh that is bad. I'm shocked so few even noticed that it's not real cheese.

The dishes I do remember liking were the beef stroganoff in the MDR and the Indian food station (best place to eat on the ship).

I don't think I had a single good dessert from the buffet. They looked pretty & tasted awful or didn't have any taste. But the worst would be the minute "steak" on the Lido. It was gross. No other way to describe it. I almost threw up & had to spit it out. My stomach heaves a bit just thinking about it.

Their chocolate melting cake is awful. I love a good molten cake, but the Carnival one is really, really bad. They just squirt chocolate flavored corn syrup in there, instead of using real chocolate.

Last week our group made it in the Paradise kitchen as part of our galley tour with the Chef's Table. No corn syrup but 2 kinds of chocolate. Where do you get your information???

I was sooooo looking forward to getting the warm melting cake, on our first cruise after reading everyone's comments.... So the first night... I got one.. THAT WAS THE LAST NIGHT I GOT ONE!!! It was the richest, rawest, nastiest thing I had!!! It is possible that maybe it was just not completely cooked that night, but it just was bad... Not really sure how to explain what made it bad, just was very disappointed I guess... Give me raw cookie dough anytime, but I guess I'm not in to raw cake!! LOL

Someone on the Carnival board said they make the CMC in 3 versions from done to gooey. I've had different variations of it and prefer the most cooked. They said just to tell your waiter. Has anyone else heard this about the CMC?

I don't think I had a single good dessert from the buffet. They looked pretty & tasted awful or didn't have any taste. But the worst would be the minute "steak" on the Lido. It was gross. No other way to describe it. I almost threw up & had to spit it out. My stomach heaves a bit just thinking about it.

If you are thinking of steak sandwiches from "grill area" like a philly steak, those are gone. So no heaving for you anymore.

I'm sure I'll get flamed like crazy for this, but I thought most of the food on our cruise was mediocre at best. The real downers however were the flat iron steak and the ribs. I got the flat iron steak because people raved about it on here. Dh and I both thought it tasted like meat from a can. The ribs were very tough. I also thought the pizza at the pizza station was terrible. I can't believe they use processed cheese. I know they may have to cut some corners when it comes to food, but sheesh that is bad. I'm shocked so few even noticed that it's not real cheese.

The dishes I do remember liking were the beef stroganoff in the MDR and the Indian food station (best place to eat on the ship).

You entitled to youir opinion but personally I like the flat iron steak and most of the Carnival food is very good.

Pizza can sure be improved as well as the OJ.

I've enjoyed the WCMC but I don't think it's my favorite. My DH loves it - every night on board. I got the recipe from Carnival at one of the cooking demonstrations and i've made it at home for special occasions mostly because he likes it so much. In my opinion it is overly rich, lots of butter and eggs and not very sweet but the ice cream helps that out although it makes it richer.... I think how it strikes me depends some on what type of dinner I just had.

Here's the recipe from Carnival, makes 8 servings:

semisweet chocolate, 7 0z

Butter, 7 oz

Fresh Eggs, 6

Sugar, 3 oz

Flour, 4 oz

Melt chocolate and butter together; mix half of egg and sugar and whisk for a few minutes and add flour; then add the balacne of the egg. Add egg mixture tot he melted chocolate mixture. Pur the mixture into ramekin cups. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour before putting in oven. Bake at 400 degrees F (recipe was given as 200 C) for 15-20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

I cooked it in oven proof Corelle cups that were very lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Only cook the ones that you will eat at that meal, the others will keep in the frig for several days if covered with plastic wrap.

The cold cucumber soup. My waiter tried to warn me but I wanted to try it. I took 2 sips and was done. Disgusting is the only way to describe it. My waiter said that he had no idea why they keep making it because he has not had one single person say that they like it and he always takes nearly full bowls back to the kitchen.

Gina

Eggs Benedict is my mother's favorite thing in the world (well, that and Peanut Butter, plain with a spoon).

Anyway, we cruised on the Ecstacy once and she ordered Eggs Benedict. The waiter brought her one egg on a muffin with ham and something yellow crusty on top. She asked him where was the Hollandaise Sauce and he said "right there" abnd pointed to the plate. She picked it up and turned it upside down and nothing moved. She told the waiter that she had had better "Egg McMuffins". My mother said "never again" to Carnival.

!

Actually, If you order the Eggs Benedict with SAUCE ON THE SIDE, they are pretty darn good, not like hockey pucks from sitting under the warming lights

The WCMC is a bit over-rated for me - love the bitter & blanc much better.

Worst dish I have ever had on CCL was the pumpkin cake :eek:and some type of rigatoni pasta dish that was absolutely tasteless.

Archived