Nickel & Dime? Not Only NCL!

Sauer-kraut

I was reading the posts over on the Cunard board, and this caught my eye. Just saying its not only NCL that 'nickels and dimes' its passengers (or those who complain about it from other cruise lines).

The Cunard Enrichment Program as the on board lectures are titled is a very involved program that operates for several hours each day and a lot of the speakers are really interesting and the subjects that they deal with are quite remarkable. At least this true for about 25% of them, the remainder are all on board publicizing their latest DVD or book. Combine that with the street market on deck 3 and it becomes more of a machine to extract money from passengers. Last week there were 3 book signings one day, albeit by well known people but this is supposed to a luxury liner not a market stall. This week we are blessed with Dr Ruth, the small sex adviser and she has a whole raft of products from her published range, and they are all available at the back of the theatre. How very tawdry.

Tonight is the second formal night out of four that we have on this 7 day voyage. The sea has very slight white horses and the wind is perhaps Force 5 with a temperature approaching 80 degrees. We lose another hour tonight, so that is 3 down with 2 to go. Not too hectic then.

I didn't know Dr Ruth was still doing her thing!:eek: :D

I think she would actually be an entertaining speaker:D

I had to go look up the word tawdry and it means cheap or sleezy:eek:

That's my word for the day, now I have to find a way to use it tomorrow!

I don't know why people think only NCL 'nickels and dimes'. We don't find it nickel and diming, more like allowing us to choose what we do and don't want to pay for. What a concept! Sometimes I feel like people are far more critical and demanding on NCL than other lines we've been on. Ah well, away from work is all that matters to me! :D

I was reading the posts over on the Cunard board, and this caught my eye. Just saying its not only NCL that 'nickels and dimes' its passengers (or those who complain about it from other cruise lines).

There are also rumors of Cunard starting to charge for the (currently free) 'alternative restaurants' on the QM2 in January. And these aren't dedicated rooms like on the NCL ships -- they basically just gussy up the breakfast/lunch buffet areas with some room dividers and tablecloths.

There are also rumors of Cunard starting to charge for the (currently free) 'alternative restaurants' on the QM2 in January. And these aren't dedicated rooms like on the NCL ships -- they basically just gussy up the breakfast/lunch buffet areas with some room dividers and tablecloths.

There have been upcharge meals in the buffet area for a couple of years now, but I think what is going to happen in Jan. will be that they will have more areas closed off to offer more upcharge choices. The thing is that Cunard charges more than 3 times as much for a balcony than what I'm paying on NCL for my Dec. TA, just doesn't seem right to then tack on even more for meals when I've already paid quite a lot more.

the bottom line is this, we can cruise cheap and pay for what you want or we can go back to the way it used to be and pay 5 times as much, what do you think the complaints would be then.

I was looking at a back issue of Cruise Travel (via the Google Books app). In August 1984 the NCL Skyward was the ship of the month. They said prices for a 7 day out of Miami was $920-$1695. In 2009 dollars that is $1875-$3454.89!

I don't believe NCL nickle and dimes people like some think. I just think it's more variety. I've sailed on Princess, NCL and RCCL, and I think NCL has the most dining variety. NCL is also one of the cheapest cruise lines out there, if not the cheapest. I'd rather pay a lower ticket price, and then pay extra if I decide to eat in a specialty restaurant, play bingo, climb a rock wall, etc etc.

Somebody on another topic referred to what the cruise lines do now as "unbundling," and it's an apt description. Things that used to be included are now an extra charge. But that's the trade-off we get for the very low fares. Fine with me!

My first cruise, on SS Norway in 1987, is a perfect example of how things were. Very little drink hawking (although it still happened, believe me); no extra-cost restaurants; no art auctions. Lots of speakers (I had my colors done-- anybody else remember that?). And you know what? Our inside cabin, which was teeny-tiny, cost us $1,100 EACH! The inside cabin on our next cruise, on the Jewel, is costing us about $1,000 TOTAL. Quite a difference!

BTW, for those who weren't around then, NCL instituted the very first pay restaurant on a ship in about 1990 on the Seaward (later renamed, but I'm not sure which ship it became). The restaurant was Le Bistro (lobster was included as part of the fee), and when I heard about it, I was so appalled! I couldn't imagine anyone paying extra for such a thing, and I knew that *I* never would! ;)

All the lines now have them; NCL was the first.

We don't find it nickel and diming, more like allowing us to choose what we do and don't want to pay for.

I think there are two somewhat unique issues that fall under the "nickel and diming" category.

1. Adding fees to things that used to be included.

2. Pushing extra goods and services at every turn.

I'm not that bothered by #1 because, as you said, it allows me to decide what I want to pay for rather than paying upfront for a bunch of things I won't actually use.

It is the selling at every turn that annoys me more. Example: We were just on Dawn. We played bingo - our choice to spend our money to do so. However, in the middle of the bingo games, the guy from the art auction comes up, sets up an easel, talks about how the auctions work and proceeds to auction off a piece of art. I didn't pay $30 for an art auction. I paid $30 to play bingo and I expected that bingo is what I'd be getting. Another example: In the midst of the main show one night, the magician stops to talk about his $18 DVD of magic tricks and the $10 "magic" worm thing he is selling. I'd have no problem with there being a table set up as you leave the theater, but don't make the sales pitch part of the actual show. That's just tacky.

NCL instituted the very first pay restaurant on a ship in about 1990 on the Seaward (later renamed, but I'm not sure which ship it became). The restaurant was Le Bistro (lobster was included as part of the fee), and when I heard about it, I was so appalled! I couldn't imagine anyone paying extra for such a thing, and I knew that *I* never would! ;)

I have mixed feelings about this. While it is nice to have a lower fare and not pay for restaurants you don't use, I think it also creates a deterrent to actually using them. Last week, we did one dinner for two at Le Bistro ($20/person) and that was only because it was our anniversary and we wanted to do something special (it wasn't all that special but that's irrelevant). We weren't willing or interested in spending more money once on board to eat at the specialty places any other time. Had we paid an extra $200 or so for the cruise, though, and had those specialty restaurants included, we absolutely would have made use of them.

Maybe they could offer a dining package at the time of booking. Pay one fare if you want to pay as you go for any specialty restaurants. Pay a higher fare if you want open access to all of the restaurants.

I have mixed feelings about this. While it is nice to have a lower fare and not pay for restaurants you don't use, I think it also creates a deterrent to actually using them. Last week, we did one dinner for two at Le Bistro ($20/person) and that was only because it was our anniversary and we wanted to do something special (it wasn't all that special but that's irrelevant). We weren't willing or interested in spending more money once on board to eat at the specialty places any other time. Had we paid an extra $200 or so for the cruise, though, and had those specialty restaurants included, we absolutely would have made use of them.

Maybe they could offer a dining package at the time of booking. Pay one fare if you want to pay as you go for any specialty restaurants. Pay a higher fare if you want open access to all of the restaurants.

You can do that now for less than $200 and eat at a different specialty restaurant every night on a seven day cruise.

If you don't want to pay for extra stuff-------just say NO.

Barb

I agree! If I don't want to go to the art auction, or have a spa service, I say NO! Like I said previously, I'd rather pay a low base price, then if I decide I want extra, I pay for it. I'm not a huge fan of the speciality restaurants on ANY ship simply because I dont think the food and service is that much better than in the MDR. However, if something on the menu appeals to me, I'll pay the $10-$20 cover charge and go try it. If it doesnt appeal to me, I'll spend the money in another way. I got an inside cabin on my upcoming cruise for under $600 per person. For a 7 night vacation, you can't beat it. Now, factor in the buffet, dining rooms, room service, pizza, etc etc thats included in the fare, and thats a darn good deal. If I decide I want to do something that costs extra I will. I just don't think that you can call the option for variety Nickle and Diming...

I think she would actually be an entertaining speaker:D

I had to go look up the word tawdry and it means cheap or sleezy:eek:

That's my word for the day, now I have to find a way to use it tomorrow!

Now I know what DW has been calling me all these years !!! I thought it was a compliment !!:p:p

You can do that now for less than $200 and eat at a different specialty restaurant every night on a seven day cruise.

It is a psychological thing, though. It is the same reason why people will buy a soda card and pay once even though it would usually be cheaper to pay each time they got a drink. A soda is $2. A card is $50. For the card to be worth it, you'd have to drink almost 4 sodas a day.

I'd rather pay upfront, like at a Sandals resort, and not have to think about money again during the trip. "Where do we want to eat tonight" rather than "Do we want to shell out another $50 to go to the steakhouse tonight?"

It is a psychological thing, though. It is the same reason why people will buy a soda card and pay once even though it would usually be cheaper to pay each time they got a drink. A soda is $2. A card is $50. For the card to be worth it, you'd have to drink almost 4 sodas a day.

I'd rather pay upfront, like at a Sandals resort, and not have to think about money again during the trip. "Where do we want to eat tonight" rather than "Do we want to shell out another $50 to go to the steakhouse tonight?"

I could be waaaaaaaaay off base on this but I thought NCL was going to be offering some kind of dine around option for the specialty restaurants.

Someone.....anyone....am I hallucinating?:eek:

Yes, it is a psychological thing. We were just at Disneyworld, I'm assuming with your name you have some affinity for WDW, we chose NOT to get the dining option because we preferred to "pay as we go".....didn't have to worry if we had enough points for where we wanted to eat.:)

Archived