Boarding the Journey

Zoolander

What is an acceptable "early" time to board the Azamara Journey?

It departs at 5 pm.

We normally beat the rush by arriving early, have the buffet lunch and check out the ship (realizing our room won't be ready) but this is our first cruise with Azamara.

Someone here said they boarded at 11:30 am because they went straight from the airport to the pier. That seemed early, but is that acceptable?

Thanks.

We usually board Azamara around noon. Never had a problem. Of course rooms are not ready, but you can store your carry ons or take with you to lunch. Very relaxing to sit on the aft deck and have lunch.

We have boarded three times between 11:30 and noon. The rooms have never been available before 1pm but the lunch buffet is open and they will check your carry on bags for you and have the pieces delivered to your cabin.

We had flown in the night before, took a cab to the dock, with a stop at a liquor store to buy 2 bottles of Sherry. Don't remember when we got to the terminal, but my log says that we walked on board Journey at 10:45 with a glass of bubbly. That was this April in Miami.

In April 2008 we arrived at the port at 10:50. Had to wait outside the terminal for a short while. Then we were let in and checked in from 11-ish to 11:15, sat and waited for half an hour. Boarded the Quest at 11:45. Cabins were ready at 1:15 pm. Smoooth.

If you arrive too early, you may have to wait outside in the heat. We would rather get there early than sit in the hotel, waiting for the 'proper' time.

Last two cruises, Quest in Athens and recently Journey in Copenhagen, we showed up at 11h30, were on the ship within 15 minutes. It was certainly acceptable as they welcomed us with a glass of bubbly, and invited us to go for lunch at the Windows... very relaxing! They usually say cabins will be ready at 1h30, but they were before that every time.

I like to be able to not rush, get settle and be able to enjoy the sailaway!!

MC

We are on the Eastern Med cruise out of Civitavecchia in late Oct. I read somewhere that boarding doesn't begin until about 3PM, for the 6PM heave ho. Plans at the moment are a very leisurely morning in Rome, lunch near Termini (absolutely fabulous restaurants exiting the station toward the Right, toward V. Marsala/ V. Marghera , good luck toward Esquilino). Catch the 2PM Eurostar to Civitavecchia, arriving around 3PM. So, if we catch an earlier train, the powers that be will allow up up the gangplank?

So, if we catch an earlier train, the powers that be will allow up up the gangplank?

Yes, but we delayed it in order to enjoy a morning walk in Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto (on our own), had a light lunch from a bakery, checked out of our hotel and caught a regional train around 1:30. The timing was great...really enjoyed having that extra time in Rome (a 3 day pre cruise stay) and arriving at the ship around 3 gave us enough time to have a bite to eat and unpack before the lifeboat drill.

Yes, but we delayed it in order to enjoy a morning walk in Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto (on our own), had a light lunch from a bakery, checked out of our hotel and caught a regional train around 1:30. The timing was great...really enjoyed having that extra time in Rome (a 3 day pre cruise stay) and arriving at the ship around 3 gave us enough time to have a bite to eat and unpack before the lifeboat drill.

I stayed in Trastevere for 5 days before my sailing. It was so wonderful! I found this amazing little B & B right across from the bridge to Rome so 10 minute walk to the Jewish Ghetto. I walked every day to Campo dei Fiore for fruit before spending hours walking, eating, drinking and chatting.

I took the airport express train to Trastevere and then the tram to my "hotel". To get to Civ I also grabbed the train .... amazingly easy except for the dragging of luggage. No lift in the station.

Cheap and easy if you travel light.

I was wondering if Dr H would share the name(s) of the restaurants near Termini? esp. interested in a place with good pizza (for husband) and an anti-pasto buffet (for me).

You can certainly board before 3 - I would guess as early as noon and they will have a nice buffet lunch. I really like the Azamara food but like most cruise ships, it is usually not as good as what can be found on the land in Italy!

I found a fabulous pizzeria about 3 blocks from Termini a few years ago, using TripAdvisor. I have gone over all of my past postings, and for the life of me, I cannot remember the name, or find it anywhere on the tripadvisor maps. I suspect Mom and Pop have moved on. Suffice it to say that it was the best pizza I've had outside of Napoli. Anyway, a tad of my background, and then on to my advise: I lived in Rome for about 5 months, shortly at the end of the Dark Ages (Summer 1973). I/we lived in Italy for almost 8 years in the 70s, leaving in the early 80s. Suffice it to say, that Italy can get into your blood, big time. I go back about every 12-18 months, I need my adopted home fix. SO: best suggestions for food is to look in TripAdvisor. One of my favorites near Termini, where we will probably be having lunch, is Da Gemma Alla Lupa, on Via Marghera 39. I've eaten there several times, and have NEVER had a bad meal. For what it's worth, skip the meal altogether, and just order the bruscetta. It has gotten a few bad reviews on Tripadvisor, someone had to have been having a bad day, either the guy who posted, or perhaps the restaurant. Personally, I don't care, I'm going back. There are a number of small trattorie in the area, all are packed at night, the few I've been to have been wonderful. No tourists, minimal English, great food. One of the great things about Italy has been a few glasses of wine, some pointing,and you've got great friends. There is a lot more English spoken these day than when I lived there, but that's another story. Now, back to pizza. Since I cannot remember the place near Termini, head toward Trastevere. My favorite for close to 30 years has been Da Gino Vicolo Rosini, 4, 00186 Roma, Italia. It's gotten some rotten reviews on TA, but sorry, they make a great pizza. (And the spaghetti alla vongole is really good too). Dal Arco around the corner is great, wonderful abbachio al forno, roasted very baby lamb, roasted on coals, always served with great rosemary roasted potatoes. The ultimate trattoria, in my humble opinion was, is, probably shall always be Trattoria Dino e Toni Via Leone IV, 60, between Piazza San Pietro and the Vatican Museum. You will need to find it on a map. Hospitality like I've never seen anywhere in Italy. My jet lagged son and I stumbled into the place, bleary eyed, famished around 6PM about 2 years ago. The staff was eating, and no self respecting Italian would dream of going out to dinner at such an early hour. (Think of it as a very unfashionable lunch break). They accommodated us, the food was beyond words, and despite our feeling hideous, dinner lasted the customary 3 hours. I swore upon leaving that we were going back before leaving Italy. And we did, at a "normal" hour. You cannot imagine the greeting we got at the doorway! The long lost family from America! We were the only foreigners there, the locals insisted on pouring their food down our mouths, try this, try that. It's a tad pricy, but the food was excellent, the ambiance fabulous, just a wonderful experience. Look it up on TA. The suggestion was to skip the antepasto that they would insist on our ordering. A)the advise is correct, don't fill up before the main meal. B) The advise was incorrect, nothing they served wasn't excellent. These guys make their own guanciale (pork cheek, for spaghetti Amatriciana which alone is worth the trip to Italy), and their own pancetta and sausages. You just cannot go wrong there. Anyway, my 2 cents/lire. It is a wonderful city. Now, if they could just drop the hotel prices a bit...

More advise to follow, if reqested. Start drooling, everyone.

David

Thanks David. How on earth did we ever travel before there was an internet?? My first visits to Rome were in the 1980s and we must have lucked out with the food and the lodging, but then it was Italy and Italy's my favorite place on earth! Nonetheless, over the years everything changes so your advice is welcome. TripAdvisor rarely steers you wrong, especially if you read the reviews critically.

I found a fabulous pizzeria about 3 blocks from Termini a few years ago, using TripAdvisor. I have gone over all of my past postings, and for the life of me, I cannot remember the name, or find it anywhere on the tripadvisor maps. I suspect Mom and Pop have moved on. Suffice it to say that it was the best pizza I've had outside of Napoli. Anyway, a tad of my background, and then on to my advise: I lived in Rome for about 5 months, shortly at the end of the Dark Ages (Summer 1973). I/we lived in Italy for almost 8 years in the 70s, leaving in the early 80s. Suffice it to say, that Italy can get into your blood, big time. I go back about every 12-18 months, I need my adopted home fix. SO: best suggestions for food is to look in TripAdvisor. One of my favorites near Termini, where we will probably be having lunch, is Da Gemma Alla Lupa, on Via Marghera 39. I've eaten there several times, and have NEVER had a bad meal. For what it's worth, skip the meal altogether, and just order the bruscetta. It has gotten a few bad reviews on Tripadvisor, someone had to have been having a bad day, either the guy who posted, or perhaps the restaurant. Personally, I don't care, I'm going back. There are a number of small trattorie in the area, all are packed at night, the few I've been to have been wonderful. No tourists, minimal English, great food. One of the great things about Italy has been a few glasses of wine, some pointing,and you've got great friends. There is a lot more English spoken these day than when I lived there, but that's another story. Now, back to pizza. Since I cannot remember the place near Termini, head toward Trastevere. My favorite for close to 30 years has been Da Gino Vicolo Rosini, 4, 00186 Roma, Italia. It's gotten some rotten reviews on TA, but sorry, they make a great pizza. (And the spaghetti alla vongole is really good too). Dal Arco around the corner is great, wonderful abbachio al forno, roasted very baby lamb, roasted on coals, always served with great rosemary roasted potatoes. The ultimate trattoria, in my humble opinion was, is, probably shall always be Trattoria Dino e Toni Via Leone IV, 60, between Piazza San Pietro and the Vatican Museum. You will need to find it on a map. Hospitality like I've never seen anywhere in Italy. My jet lagged son and I stumbled into the place, bleary eyed, famished around 6PM about 2 years ago. The staff was eating, and no self respecting Italian would dream of going out to dinner at such an early hour. (Think of it as a very unfashionable lunch break). They accommodated us, the food was beyond words, and despite our feeling hideous, dinner lasted the customary 3 hours. I swore upon leaving that we were going back before leaving Italy. And we did, at a "normal" hour. You cannot imagine the greeting we got at the doorway! The long lost family from America! We were the only foreigners there, the locals insisted on pouring their food down our mouths, try this, try that. It's a tad pricy, but the food was excellent, the ambiance fabulous, just a wonderful experience. Look it up on TA. The suggestion was to skip the antepasto that they would insist on our ordering. A)the advise is correct, don't fill up before the main meal. B) The advise was incorrect, nothing they served wasn't excellent. These guys make their own guanciale (pork cheek, for spaghetti Amatriciana which alone is worth the trip to Italy), and their own pancetta and sausages. You just cannot go wrong there. Anyway, my 2 cents/lire. It is a wonderful city. Now, if they could just drop the hotel prices a bit...

More advise to follow, if reqested. Start drooling, everyone.

David

Hi david, am catching up on your various comments with interest. My friend and I will be staying at the Palm Gallery Hotel, at via delle Alpi 15D 00198 Roma. I think the proprietor told me they are about 15 minutes from Termini station so would that mean we'd be near the restaurant you are recommending.

I was also going to take the bus in Amalfi to go to Positano but with 7700 people landing there, it might not be such a wise decision and we may need to find some folks to our with.

How are you going to get around Istanbul and Athens. I have done a great deal of research on Istanbul and have pretty much decised on what to see but am not sure how we will see it, i.e., tour, walk, bus, etc.

Also in Athens, as you or someone else said, we can take the bus into Athens and will avoid cabs getting stuck in traffic. Then I thought we'd do the HOHO. I have been to Athens before but it has been 15+ years.

Your thoughts.

Morning everybody! I have been pondering Archi's question for the past 24 hours. How did we do it without the internet? Easy. You bought a ticket through a travel agent, and packed a copy of Frommer's "Europe on $5. A Day" put on the blinders, skipped the fancy stuff, that we are now ruthlessly engaging in, we went and had a great time.

Weazie- I am a tad dubious of almost 8000 people descending, en masse on Amalfi over the course of a few hours, certainly not in the off season, when we are going. The worst I've ever encountered in Italy was during the month of August, in Venice. Between the heat, the mob, and more heat, that was awful. (I was living in the next town over, my parents came to visit, and naturally, we had to go to Venice over the weekend. Never, ever again! Oh, best time for Venice, in my humble opinion is anywhere from December to Feb, dead of winter. Again, this is from someone who used to live there. NO crowds, fog rolling through the grey-amber streets, echos of your footsteps off the walls of the alleyways, just pure magic, and that just doesn't happen during high tourist season. Keep the summer!)

Anyway, my/our plans are to somehow get off the boat, make it to the Circum-Vesuviana train, onto Paestum, then back to Amalfi for lunch. Now if anyone is mad enough to do it, you can take the train back into Naples, and have lunch at Da Michele, which is roughly 1/2K from Santa Maria train station. You will need a map to find it, but this place is the height of the Pizza Pyramid on the planet. As I like to say, there is beer, and there is German beer. They are two totally different entities. There is Pizza, there is Pizza in Italy, and there is Da Michele. I've timed them, 90 seconds from the time the raw pie goes into the wood burning oven until it goes onto the plate. You have a selection of Pizza Margherita (tomato, buffalo mozzerella, and paper thin crust) or Pizza Napolitana (tomato, NO cheese, anchovies, a little garlic, and oregano). Your selection is small/medium/or large. I still haven't decided which I prefer, but I lean toward the Napolitana, my son towards the Margherita. It is worth a trip to Italy/Napoli in and of itself, and honestly, I'm torn between going to Paestum where I've never been, or Da Michele, where my wife has never been. It is a tough choice!

Oh, Weasie, your hotel: I did look it up on line, it looks wonderful. It is a tad outside of the center of town, and you are going to have to rely on taxis just based on the distances. Be forewarned! That 15 minutes you were quoted is going to be more like 30 minutes. Not the end of the world, but just adjust your schedules accordingly. I'm starting to look at hotels for our 2 nights, I have a couple of old favorites, but right now, I'm getting sticker shock, and might be sleeping under a bridge for a few days. Priceline should be coming through in September, and that's when I will be getting serious about booking. I like staying either near Termini in the Esquilino area (do some history reading about ancient Rome, Esquilino was the ORIGINAL Sub-Urb, housing area of 5-7 story "apartment/slums" "below" the main portion of the City.), or Vatican area. Over the years, I've learned that it is very easy to book a hotel that is just too far from Centro, and you are miserable wasting time waiting for transportation for sightseeing or getting to restaurants.

Oh, another piece of random advise. About 5 years ago, there was a great book entitled "Pompeii" by Robert Harris. It is a murder mystery, set during the week of the Vesuvius explosion. The murder-mystery part is eh writing, but the homework this man did on vulcanism, Naples, Roman life and culture is beyond words. Everyone getting off the boat in Amalfi does him or herself a disservice by not reading it beforehand. A used copy at Amazon runs about $2.50 plus shipping, and believe me, once read, you will be packing it for the trip. You cannot begin to imagine how much information gets packed into this great summer read. (No I do not have stock with Amazon, and am not related to Mr Harris)

As I love to say, more info to follow. I've still got 3 months to be spouting away.

David

Great post :)

Back in the day, friends and I would arrive in the evening in cities like Florence, Rome and even Paris totally without hotel reservations. Sounds crazy now. (Never tried that in Venice though, although I'm sure it could be done.)

One virtue of that kind of seat-of-the-pants travel is that you could make up your mind each day where you wanted to go and what you wanted to do. And Italians are so incredibly hospitable that you'd get invited into their homes if you were at all friendly!

Conversely: Wonder if you ever saw the study quoted in the NYT which indicated that fully half of the enjoyment of a trip is in the planning. I won't pay too much attention to that though, as 1) obviously I'm not much of a planner and 2) I don't want to shortchange the actual experience, not even a little, not even in my head.

Archived