US$ No longer accepted in Cozumel (Assume the same for Costa Maya)

UK_Cruiser

That is only going to hurt the businesses and restaurants down there. Now I will just stay on the ship and enjoy a relaxing day.:)

Really ?

YOu are going to miss Cozumel and Costa Maya rather than change some dollars into Pesos ?

Really ?

YOu are going to miss Cozumel and Costa Maya rather than change some dollars into Pesos ?

What do they have to do with each other? I plan on spending the day off the ship, but I WILL be FAR less likely to convert to pesos and buy things. If nothing else, it's the hassle factor of finding an ATM and getting left with change that's worthless at home. I know the dollar was never "official" currency, but I really think this is going to hurt the businesses that rely on cruise pax

What do they have to do with each other? I plan on spending the day off the ship, but I WILL be FAR less likely to convert to pesos and buy things. If nothing else, it's the hassle factor of finding an ATM and getting left with change that's worthless at home. I know the dollar was never "official" currency, but I really think this is going to hurt the businesses that rely on cruise pax

Sorry you've lost me ?

I just got an email response from our tour company in Costa Maya, and they are still accepting US$ as payment.

This was their reply:

You are right, there have been some changes in the banking regulations respect of foreign currency, however, this doesn't affect tourists. They have only limited the amount of US Dollars you can exchange for Mexican Pesos at time.

Basically, you can't do operations of more than $4000 US Dollars in cash.

Please don't worry about exchanging money, US Dollars are still being accepted everywhere.

Sounds to me like no one really understands the new law and how it impacts them in Mexico. From his response, it seems like we can't spend more than $4000 US in cash at one time.

The way I read the law is that it impacts businesses and how they cannot place more than a certain amount of US$$ into their Mexican bank accounts at one time...not how much a tourist spends.

I dunno...my plan is to enjoy Costa Maya, pay for my tour in US$ cash like the tour operator told me.

As far as Cozumel is concerned....I really don't see all of the beach clubs turning away US$, and especially in tip money. More bang for their buck. But for us...we've been there countless times...sounds like a great pool/slide/gym/spa day for us! :D

Either way...go with the flow...Mexico is so laid back...Hola! Como Estas? Muy Bien Gracias, y tu? Donde estas las cervesas y el bano?

And for you non-Miamian's out there...Hi, How are you? I'm fine thank you, and you? Where's the beers and the bathroom?

That's all ya gotta know... :D

I just got back from a trip to Holbox and everything was in pesos. If you wanted to pay in USD they gave you a rate of 10 or 10.5 when the rate is actually 12.7. So I got money from an ATM. In Cozumel prices used to be in USD. If I recall most stores accept credit card in Cozumel so thats an option if they wont take USD. I am sure they will take USD but give you a rate of 10 whch is a joke.

Really ?

Been to Cozumel too many times to be honest. From what I have read stores were telling people they had to go to an ATM to get pesos out, which I'd rather not do.

I just got an email response from our tour company in Costa Maya, and they are still accepting US$ as payment.

This was their reply:

You are right, there have been some changes in the banking regulations respect of foreign currency, however, this doesn't affect tourists. They have only limited the amount of US Dollars you can exchange for Mexican Pesos at time.

Basically, you can't do operations of more than $4000 US Dollars in cash.

Please don't worry about exchanging money, US Dollars are still being accepted everywhere.

Sounds to me like no one really understands the new law and how it impacts them in Mexico. From his response, it seems like we can't spend more than $4000 US in cash at one time.

The way I read the law is that it impacts businesses and how they cannot place more than a certain amount of US$$ into their Mexican bank accounts at one time...not how much a tourist spends.

I dunno...my plan is to enjoy Costa Maya, pay for my tour in US$ cash like the tour operator told me.

As far as Cozumel is concerned....I really don't see all of the beach clubs turning away US$, and especially in tip money. More bang for their buck. But for us...we've been there countless times...sounds like a great pool/slide/gym/spa day for us! :D

Either way...go with the flow...Mexico is so laid back...Hola! Como Estas? Muy Bien Gracias, y tu? Donde estas las cervesas y el bano?

And for you non-Miamian's out there...Hi, How are you? I'm fine thank you, and you? Where's the beers and the bathroom?

Since I'm learing Spanish, I have to ask, wouldn't it be donde estan las cervesas? also, aren't you supposed to use the formal with people you don't know?

I imagine US dollars will still be good. We'll see.

Really ?

Yup. Been to both places enough. Maybe I'll book an excursion through the ship if I want to get off and do something. Their loss. Or maybe I'll just look for intineraries that don't include Mexico.

Yup. Been to both places enough. Maybe I'll book an excursion through the ship if I want to get off and do something. Their loss. Or maybe I'll just look for intineraries that don't include Mexico.

Thats how I feel

Since I'm learing Spanish, I have to ask, wouldn't it be donde estan las cervesas? also, aren't you supposed to use the formal with people you don't know?

LOL...in Miami, it all works...doesn't matter if it's correct or not, we call it Spanglish...

Here's the easier version for Mexico...just point to what you want...if they don't speak English, they'll either write it down or hold up fingers. Then you just look puzzled and say US? And that'll let you know if it's US$ or Peso's. Even better...we've traded ball caps for stuff...no money exchanged whatsoever...it's all good in Cozumel. LOL No problemo!

Question....why should merchants in any country take another country's currency? Americans seem to have this idea that they should be able to USD wherever they are. They come to Canada and expect merchants to take American currency (many do and charge an extremely high exchange rate)....now they're upset when Mexican merchants expect to be paid in Mexican currency? I don't get it....this is, of course, a uniquely American concept. I mean Europeans come to the USA and don't expect merchants to take euro.....Japanese people come to the USA and don't expect merchants to take Yen....British people come to the USA and don't expect merchants to take sterling....but Americans go to these countries and are surprised when merchants don't take US currency? Reminds me of the story I once heard of an American woman visiting a Paris boutique and being told something cost 800 francs asking, "How much is that in cash?"

I always make sure that I spend local currency. It's easy enough in the 21st century to go to an ATM or use a credit card.....if they don't take credit cards, they don't get my business. If it's important enough, I'll get local currency, This is the proper thing to do to respect the people you are visiting.

Question....why should merchants in any country take another country's currency? Americans seem to have this idea that they should be able to USD wherever they are. They come to Canada and expect merchants to take American currency (many do and charge an extremely high exchange rate)....now they're upset when Mexican merchants expect to be paid in Mexican currency? I don't get it....this is, of course, a uniquely American concept. I mean Europeans come to the USA and don't expect merchants to take euro.....Japanese people come to the USA and don't expect merchants to take Yen....British people come to the USA and don't expect merchants to take sterling....but Americans go to these countries and are surprised when merchants don't take US currency? Reminds me of the story I once heard of an American woman visiting a Paris boutique and being told something cost 800 francs asking, "How much is that in cash?"

I always make sure that I spend local currency. It's easy enough in the 21st century to go to an ATM or use a credit card.....if they don't take credit cards, they don't get my business. If it's important enough, I'll get local currency, This is the proper thing to do to respect the people you are visiting.

Well let me see if I remember from college,,, you have some of the world's poorest countries right next to the world's richest, and those countries often have weak currencies subject to wild deflation, while the neighboring country's currency is stable, and governments in the poor countries sometime try to regulate exchange rates to favor their own weak currency as a hedge against said inflation, I don't think it's a mystery why they want US dollars. I'd bet the North Koreans wish they had any other countries money but their own after Dear Leader decreed that all the Korean money they had saved up is suddenly worth 10% of what it was before (he really did this recently, literally wiping out savings overnight.)

Caribbean is also more likely to take dollars simply due to volume of tourists from US rather than Europe or Canada, though I doubt they'd turn their noses up at Euros these days.

When I was in Jamacia for 2 months in 1990, we routinely got better exchange rates for dollars from dudes at the clinic then we could get at the bank. Learned that one pretty quick.

Now why an American would think this would apply to other wealthy countries such as Canada or Europe, why is that again? Oh yeah ignorance.

For the record I am from the UK

They WANT to take the US Dollar rather than their own money since it is a stronger currency and worth more to them.

Same goes in places like Egypt. I visited the Red Sea about 5 years ago and when I went to settle my bill at the end of my holiday they wouldn't take Egyptian Pounds, they wanted UK Sterling or US Dollars.

I was just making people aware that they may have problems trying to spend their US Dollars ashore since just about every other single island in the Caribbean takes the US Dollar and actually prefers to take the US Dollar rather than their own local currency.

These are all facts and nothing to do with the Americans throwing their weight around.

On the money front, I am sure it will settle down as the rules filter down to the merchants.

The Mexican government is just trying to protect the Peso. When so much US dollars are used it undremines their own currency. In theory over time it would be like a virus slowly taking over. They would lose control of their currency.

On the drug note, I am ASTONISHED at how many people are just plain stupid (sorry I am not insulting anyone in particular, just stating my opinion) about even considering buying drugs in a tourist trap.

The drugs may appear to be the same but guess what?

You don't know. There have been too many 60 minute and 20/20 type stories and newspaper articles discussing this nightmare.

Perhaps an antibiotic with gypsum filler may not kill you, but if you get a blood pressure medication that is innefective watch out.

The distribution chain for medicine means that the manufacturer controls the product from manufacture to the pharmacy. They ensure climate controlled shipments for example if needed. When you do "mail" order or buy from these shops that are not controlled, you run a huge risk.

There is being 'frugal; and then there is gambling.

If you can't afford your meds at home....how the heck are you paying for your cruise

On a recent cruise, I misplaced my prescription and went to the Medical Centre. I asked for a prescription to pick up drugs on an island.

He laughed and said. You don't want to do that do you?. He filled my prescription very inexpensively from the ships pharmacy.

On a lighter note.....

In Cozumel, there is a Deli called "Deli and Drugs"

I was thinking.........

I could order a smoked meat with fries and a side order of the daily special of cholesterol lowering drug......

Or a diabetic could have a sugar laced piece of pie with a dose of inuslin.....

Could be a new trend........

I am an ex-pat living in Mexico for many years. Medicinal drugs are made by the South American factories of companies such as Bayer, AstraZenca or Pfizer.The pills come in sealed boxes and are individually placed in plastic bubbles on foil backed cards.

Like in the US, there are major pharmacy chains, as well as Walmart, Sam's Club and Costco, that sell these drugs. This is where I would recommend tourists visit to buy drugs.

My family and friends have been taking them without problem for years. In over a decade there has been no reports of this types of drug being contaminated, of the wrong dosage or altered in any way.

We have pharmacies that sell drugs that are called "similaries". These are generic versions of popular medicines - some of which are made by local Mexican companies. These are generally a lot cheaper and could be made to less exacting standards, but have caused no problems to my knowledge - I only follow Guadalajara new sources for the most part.

It's bad to self prescribe, but it can be a samrt move to buy expensive drugs for less if you don't have prescription drug coverage. My BIL takes a anti-spasmodic medication that in Mexico costs less than half of what it does in the US and is made by the same company. Like many countries, Mexican drug companies do not have to pay for research and development, there are laws that limit how much can be charged and there is no such thing as medical malpractice or product liability, all of which limit the price.

As far as dollars are concerned, Mexico is trying to fight the illegal drug traffic by limiting deposits of US cash. They recognize the problem in resort areas and will be forced to do something to address it quickly as it is causing a problem with one of its major sources of foreign trade.

Finally, the peso has straightened substantially against the dollar. Wholesale rates are about 12.7 to the dollar. Retail rates are closer to 12.25 or less depending on the source.

The cheapest way to get pesos is to use your bank ATM (not credit card). You get better exchange rates and depending on your bank little or no extra costs.

That's great!! Something to remember... Dee ;)

I find this very hard to believe. I have been to Cozumel and they have grocery store lines that welcome the dollar. In fact, the taxis and restaurants and merchants prefer dollars.

Do you realize how many pesos you have to carry to equal a dollar? Better bring a wheel barrel :)

Hmm, I have always said there should just be a new currency, the North American Dollar (like the Euro) for all of the US, Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas/Caribbean. Would make things so much easier.

~Intrepid <-- How much is that in NADs?

Hmm, I have always said there should just be a new currency, the North American Dollar (like the Euro) for all of the US, Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas/Caribbean. Would make things so much easier.

I do not want my US currency .......tied to the devaluation problems of Mexico......;)

.....ask Germany and France ........how they like to be tied to the problems of Greece, Portugal and Spain.

I do not want my US currency .......tied to the devaluation problems of Mexico......;)

.....ask Germany and France ........how they like to be tied to the problems of Greece, Portugal and Spain.

...ask how Britian likes being tied to any of them.

PE

...ask how Britian likes being tied to any of them.

PE

While Great Britain is part of the European Union they have not adopted the Euro as their currency. They still have the pound as their independent currency.

Take care,

Mike

Archived