Why do some prices refuse to drop, ever?

Tazzycat

I noticed that when I call around for cruise quotes, some cruise prices fluctuate a few hundred dollars from agency to agency, with OBC and free insurance or some other perk. Other cruises, for some unknown reason, have static prices from the cruiseline and from all agencies, with no change in price even when the date of departure looms closer. In these cases, neither the cruiseline nor any agency is willing to beat the other's price.

Why does this happen?

How can I get a better deal when neither the cruiseline nor the competition will budge?

One of the reasons is that a TA might take a group out.

What this does is effectively to give us an "edge" by safe guarding prices in the event of the cruise cost rising. It also allows us to offer on board spend. For our part we have to commit to selling, or marketing to sell an agreed number of cabins.

Not all cruises, and not all operators give TA's the opportunity to run groups, and those are the ones where the cost differentials are minimal.

Some cruise lines do not let others discount the cruise fare.

For a specific cruise it all comes down to supply and demand as others have said.

If the demand is not there, many times prices will come down. If the demand is there, price either remain the same or are

sometimes increased.

Keith

Keith is correct that some lines won't allow TA's to discount the fare, Celebrity being one of them. However some the TA's do book large blocks of cabins on these lines at a discount and will often pass some of the discount on to the client by way of OBCs, transfers and alike. That said, this does not precludet the line from having sales where prices drop and your TA should obtain the reduction for you.

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

Now, another question.

How do I get "in the know" when the price drops?

Some websites watch airfares for price drops and send out an email to alert people who are online all day so they can jump quickly and catch price drops. Is there such an animal for watching specific cruise prices, and if so, where is it? Is it available to mere mortals or only to travel agents?

I love a good bargain.

I love a good bargain.

Don't we all?:)

Our TA watches but not all do. I also check cruiseline websites, cruiseline promotions that come online and in the mail, other TA's websites and of course these boards.

Do a google search for software that monitors cruises for price drops. CC will not permit the listing of these sites but there is excellent software out there (I am using it and love it). The site I use can only check prices for Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity & Azamara.

Archived