Review: Carnival Glory to Canada - 7/17/10 - 5 days

Dave0311

Dave- thanks for finishing the review before I leave on Saturday!:D You definitely have a way with words. Our weather report isn't as good as yours was - cloudy and 72. I can survive that! We also will be driving in and parking by the ship. Got a call from Carnival yesterday to please arrive by 10:30 to "expedite processing." Have never gotten a call like that before, but my mom needs wheelchair assistance in boarding - probably got te call because of that. I will be looking forward to your next cruise review!

Is the character's nickname, "Little Toot"? If not, he is identical to a children's book of that title I read to my son. . .right down to the red ball cap!

I've never heard him called "Little Toot" just Theodore Tugbaot. It's acatually from a Canadian children's television series that was picked up by the US and other countries. Brian Doherty (of the Mamas and The Papas singing group) played the only human character in the series, the harbourmaster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Tugboat

Dave- thanks for finishing the review before I leave on Saturday!:D You definitely have a way with words. Our weather report isn't as good as yours was - cloudy and 72. I can survive that! We also will be driving in and parking by the ship. Got a call from Carnival yesterday to please arrive by 10:30 to "expedite processing." Have never gotten a call like that before, but my mom needs wheelchair assistance in boarding - probably got te call because of that. I will be looking forward to your next cruise review!

We saw a similar forecast for our week too. You never know what you may end up with it seems :eek:

I looked over the Fun Times, and I didn't see anything about a laundry special, sorry. :( In regards to packing lightly, see my previous post about packing summer and autumn clothing. :)

I seem to remember our past laundry specials being a separate flyer that was left with the fun times at night.

Great review. Absulutely loved the pics. I am leaving this Saturday and got the same call from carnival the other day.

hi, thank you the review, a lot of information and i like your slog :)

my family is going on the Glory and it is not only our first time on Carnival, it is our first time on the cruise...ever...

so i have couple probably kind of stupid questions , so feel free to laugh but just give me an answer :)

"Tonight we also opened our first of two bottles of wine from our TA. "--

what is it? are we allowed to bring our own wine and ask to open it for us during the dinner?

as i understand all kind of soda's are not free at the cruise , but are we allowed to bring at least couple of bottles to store in the room?

my kids are not such a big fans of soda, but they can ask for it. you said lemonade and water and juices are free ?

thank you!

hi, thank you the review, a lot of information and i like your slog :)

my family is going on the Glory and it is not only our first time on Carnival, it is our first time on the cruise...ever...

so i have couple probably kind of stupid questions , so feel free to laugh but just give me an answer :)

"Tonight we also opened our first of two bottles of wine from our TA. "--

what is it? are we allowed to bring our own wine and ask to open it for us during the dinner?

as i understand all kind of soda's are not free at the cruise , but are we allowed to bring at least couple of bottles to store in the room?

my kids are not such a big fans of soda, but they can ask for it. you said lemonade and water and juices are free ?

thank you!

The bottles of wine were given to us from our travel agent (TA). They opened them for us free of charge. I've heard that if you bring in your own bottle of wine they charge a $10 corkage fee. I'm not positive on this because we never get wine during dinner other than when it's given to us like on this cruise. I've also heard that you can buy a wine package for dinner, where you pre-pay for a couple bottles of wine. Again, I'm not sure of the details of this since we don't normally do this. Hopefully someone else who has experience here will chime in and help you out. :)

To answer your second question, yes lemonade, iced tea, and water are free. Orange juice and pass-o-guava juice are also available for free during breakfast. If you go to the dining room for breakfast, there are many more options, including apple juice, prune juice, tomato juice, etc.

There are limits to what you can bring aboard for beverages. One bottle of wine per adult passenger is allowed, and it must be carried on. You are also allowed up to a 12-pack of non-alcoholic drinks (soda or bottled water, for example) per person. Again, it must be in your carry-on luggage.

If you have any other questions, please ask! The Glory is a great ship for a first cruise. Your family will love it! :D

great! thank you.

i am not sure what else to ask, since i've never been on cruises, you mentioned that on this cruise nobody dressed up for evening--but usually people do? do we need to have some special dresses/suits ?

great! thank you.

i am not sure what else to ask, since i've never been on cruises, you mentioned that on this cruise nobody dressed up for evening--but usually people do? do we need to have some special dresses/suits ?

On cruise elegant night, people do dress up a lot sometimes. A lot of people just wear outfits like we did, but it's not unusual to see men wearing suits and the occasional tux, and women wearing nice dresses.

Thanks Dave for an awsome review. Not only was the review one of the best I've read on CC, but also the pictures. You certainly have a great way of expressing yourself in writing, to keep the attention of your readers.

Wish you the best in all your future endeavors and of course, cruises.

Thank you again, and continue your writing.

dave,,,,,my husband read your review daily and looked forward to the next days review,,,,,he told me i should read it and he was right! it was an amazing work of art! we are taking this trip for the 2nd time and look forward to going on glory!! one day we will do the halifax stop too!! thanks again and keep those funnels alive!! = )

Dave - Do you know if we can bring our own corkscrew so we can enjoy some champagne on our balcony during sail-away?
I'm not sure since we've never brought alcohol aboard. You might want to ask Carnival about this one. I wouldn't want you to bring it and have it confiscated! :eek:

Thanks Dave for an awsome review. Not only was the review one of the best I've read on CC, but also the pictures. You certainly have a great way of expressing yourself in writing, to keep the attention of your readers.

Wish you the best in all your future endeavors and of course, cruises.

Thank you again, and continue your writing.

Thank you! I enjoyed writing this review, and I plan to do more on my future cruises. :D

Thanks so much for the review/photos, I can't wait for our August trip on the Glory.

One question -- someone mentioned needing social security cards to get back on the ship from Canada port, is this true? I am bringing passports for everyone, does that suffice? I will really have to go looking for the cards for my kids. 2 have passports. The other one (baby), I was told, just needs his birth certificate. I know all of the SS#'s, I just don't have the cards at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much for the review/photos, I can't wait for our August trip on the Glory.

One question -- someone mentioned needing social security cards to get back on the ship from Canada port, is this true? I am bringing passports for everyone, does that suffice? I will really have to go looking for the cards for my kids. 2 have passports. The other one (baby), I was told, just needs his birth certificate. I know all of the SS#'s, I just don't have the cards at the moment.

We've never taken our SS# cards on any cruise. I've never heard of this! :eek:

All you need is your sail and sign card and your passport (or some sort of photo ID).

WE just got back from the same cruise on 7/12/2010 and we really enjoyed ourselves. The only complaint that we had was that the dining room service was the slowest ever. Our waiters had like 7 tables to take care of and it was not their fault and they did their best but the service was TERRIBLE. I hope that everyone else gets better service than us but we did not let it ruin our cruise. We ate at the buffet the last two nights because we were so annoyed at the dining room service. Most of the entres are the same anyway. Just the desserts are different. Happy sailing;););)

Thanks, I think I made an error, now I see, someone said SS card, it's the sign and sail, nevermind!
It's okay! I made that mistake when I first saw the abbreviation way back when. :p

WE just got back from the same cruise on 7/12/2010 and we really enjoyed ourselves. The only complaint that we had was that the dining room service was the slowest ever. Our waiters had like 7 tables to take care of and it was not their fault and they did their best but the service was TERRIBLE. I hope that everyone else gets better service than us but we did not let it ruin our cruise. We ate at the buffet the last two nights because we were so annoyed at the dining room service. Most of the entres are the same anyway. Just the desserts are different. Happy sailing;););)
I'm sorry to hear about that. :( It's strange because our wait team only had 5 tables, two of which were for two people.

Dave - Do you know if we can bring our own corkscrew so we can enjoy some champagne on our balcony during sail-away?

I had no trouble packing a corkscrew in our checked luggage on the Glory 7/12. I also packed the wine & the soda so I guess I was just lucky.

Dave great review. Thanks so much.

great! thank you.

We like to dress differently than we do everyday.....we (hubby, me and my son who has been cruising since he was 17....he's now 25) Non-elegant nights:

Me....casual pants or dress capris...nice blouse.....loafers or sandals

Men......docker type pants....casual collar shirt.....casual shoes

Elegant night

Me.....dress or pant suit

Men......suit or sports jacket

Hope this helps....

When are you going in August? Have you checked out the Roll Calls?? Ours is starting to pick up....

I have to admit. I used to think my wife is detail oriented cruise review people, now after reading yours, I am not so sure.LOL Your review had so many details and pictures. I am shocked. That was a great review.

I had no trouble packing a corkscrew in our checked luggage on the Glory 7/12. I also packed the wine & the soda so I guess I was just lucky.

what do you mean by lucky? wine and soda are not allowed ?

Archived