Royal Pricing Policy Suggestion

....or the last minute cancellations just prior to final when people still see plenty availability..... because I see that one coming fast.....and then you will really see pricing crash as they have half empty ships 60-90 days out. Once you burn a customer that books far in advance....you will have a last minute booker for a long time.

Totally agree. And we are one of those. We used to always book over a year in advance to get just the cabin we wanted (knowing that RCI would honor price drops if they occured) and RCI had our $1000 to use for free for that year.

We would never do that today. And, in fact, we actually made non-cruise plans for this coming winter2011 looking for "more bang for our buck".

Had RCI not made all the changes of the past year or two, I am sure we would already be booked for our annual January cruise for 2011 - and even 2012. Instead our vacation dollars are going elsewhere. 2011 is up for grabs. But even if we decide to cruise again, we will not be booking til last minute and it will be who (among several cruise line options) has the best deal at the time.

Totally agree. And we are one of those. We used to always book over a year in advance to get just the cabin we wanted (knowing that RCI would honor price drops if they occured) and RCI had our $1000 to use for free for that year.

We would never do that today. And, in fact, we actually made non-cruise plans for this coming winter2011 looking for "more bang for our buck".

Had RCI not made all the changes of the past year or two, I am sure we would already be booked for our annual January cruise for 2011 - and even 2012. Instead our vacation dollars are going elsewhere. 2011 is up for grabs. But even if we decide to cruise again, we will not be booking til last minute and it will be who (among several cruise line options) has the best deal at the time.

Lets face facts....the reason Royal changed their price drop policy is because of exactly whats happening in the economy right now.....bookings are dramatically slowing, prices are dropping and there is plenty uncertainty...if things were good they wouldn't of changed anything. Man....my mailbox is so full with new CL sales events each day I am going crazy just trying to keep up with deleting them all. Royal's new policy is aimed at trying to protect their bottom line and make shareholders/Wall Street happy. HOWEVER what I am not sure that they thought thru fully was that the customer would start to adapt....there is little doubt in my mind that the new wave for the near to mid future with current policy will be last minute booking. Just look at the drops that are occurring after final....the large amount of "Special Sale Pricing"....all these protect them from price matching...trying to keep the game in their favor.

You know it's funny....many people always respond to these posts with the ...."don't you think a large company like this knows what they are doing.....do you think they would still be in business".....well just let me remind you about Circuit City....LINENS 'N THINGS.....Lehman Brothers....all the large banks that went under....the list goes on and on.....I am not saying that Royal is about to go under or any such thing....but these are just people at corporate level...many like you and I just trying to see what works and making educated guesses that sometimes work...and sometime don't....they aren't sitting with any crystal ball.

1. Now that they have basically dumped price protection (48 hours is a joke)

2. This will discourage early booking even further

3. We have always been happy with guarantee's on a last minute basis and received good cabins, nothing we would not sail in again

4. After final payment date has pased they know their capacity, if it is too low we will see pricing incentives, if fully booked good for the cruise line

5. In addition, the lack of price protection after 48 hours could mean good things even prior to final payment for those who have not booked since the cruise line does not have to worry about lowering prices for those alreay booked, if they were able to get high prices when people booked, great for them.

6. Then you add the penalty for cancellation ($50 pp) prior to final payment and you get even less incentive to book early.

7. My behavior will be to wait longer and longer before we book.

8. Most industry experts explain these policy changes are in fact happening because the cruise lines know they are going to have to drop prices, and have room to do so because of fuel cost savings. Industry experts are seeing softness now for 2nd half of 2010 and for winter 2011. That's why everyday we are getting offers for free gratuities, insurance, etc. They will try all these before dropping price, but if they do not have the desired impact to increase bookings, price drops will not be far behind. This is all common sense.

Unfortunately; all indications are the poor economy is entrenched for awhile (and may even do the "double dip" recession thing).

RCCL (or anyone else) will not be able to hold the current rates. Expect them to go way down by the Fall.

Mitch

You wonder with the new policy if they will wait until 2 months out to lower. Encourage sales to people that don't plan ahead, lock in prices for those that booked head and can't change after final payment. You are committed after final payment so breaks will go to those who are more flexible regarding cabins.

1. Now that they have basically dumped price protection (48 hours is a joke)

2. This will discourage early booking even further

3. We have always been happy with guarantee's on a last minute basis and received good cabins, nothing we would not sail in again

4. After final payment date has pased they know their capacity, if it is too low we will see pricing incentives, if fully booked good for the cruise line

5. In addition, the lack of price protection after 48 hours could mean good things even prior to final payment for those who have not booked since the cruise line does not have to worry about lowering prices for those alreay booked, if they were able to get high prices when people booked, great for them.

6. Then you add the penalty for cancellation ($50 pp) prior to final payment and you get even less incentive to book early.

7. My behavior will be to wait longer and longer before we book.

8. Most industry experts explain these policy changes are in fact happening because the cruise lines know they are going to have to drop prices, and have room to do so because of fuel cost savings. Industry experts are seeing softness now for 2nd half of 2010 and for winter 2011. That's why everyday we are getting offers for free gratuities, insurance, etc. They will try all these before dropping price, but if they do not have the desired impact to increase bookings, price drops will not be far behind. This is all common sense.

48 hrs is only for those within penalty period

Haven't seen confirmation of cancel fees

1. 48 hours from time of booking

2. I read the cancellation penalty on cruise critic article, or perhaps Cruise Mates article on cruise line price policy changes

3. I cannot find it on Royal www site, but as past TA maybe you should call in and ask some of your friends if they are now charging to cancel for any booking after May 17, 2010

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=best_price_guarantee&cid=RCConsumerWebLP-091609BestPriceGuarantee

1. 48 hours from time of booking

2. I read the cancellation penalty on cruise critic article, or perhaps Cruise Mates article on cruise line price policy changes

3. I cannot find it on Royal www site, but as past TA maybe you should call in and ask some of your friends if they are now charging to cancel for any booking after May 17, 2010

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=best_price_guarantee&cid=RCConsumerWebLP-091609BestPriceGuarantee

you can still book a yr ahead and get the price break if the price goes down up until final payment is due. The 48 hrs is only last minute (after final would be due) bookings.

There is a rumor about the cancel fee, but that is all

Maybe I am wrong about administrative fee to cancel, but I know I read it somewhere, if they do not have it now, expect something to come. Why? Because people outside of penalty will just cancel and rebook when they see a price drop. My bet is they will eventually move to non-refundable deposit like the tour companies to lock people in more and have them ignore price drops after they book.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/RCL-price-guarantee-051710.cfm#axzz0uWiQGco

you can still book a yr ahead and get the price break if the price goes down up until final payment is due. The 48 hrs is only last minute (after final would be due) bookings.

There is a rumor about the cancel fee, but that is all

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made

Me thinks we will agree to disagree, have you booked anything sine May 17, 2010?

the price drop guarantee will give you 110% of the difference if you find a drop within 48 hrs. This is different from the policy of honoring price drops

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1236106&highlight=price+guarantee

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202441&highlight=price+guarantee

I can't speak for all the cruise lines, but RCI has NOT at this point implemented a cancellation fee prior to the post-final payment penalty date. And I have not heard that other cruise lines have implemented such a policy.

My understanding of the Best Price Guarantee program is that it applies to those folks who have made their final payment and then the price of their stateroom drops. They then have 48 hours after the announcement of the price drop to submit the claim and they will receive 110% of the difference in price as an on board credit.

What does this mean? First, cruise lines use on board credits rather than refunds only after the final payment date (but any on board credit remaining after the cruise is then credited back to the credit card on the on board account). Second, that the cruise lines are giving a 10% "reward" for taking the time to check on price changes.

Finally, the advantage of using a good TA instead of doing this yourself is that the TA has access to promotional rates that are not made available to the public, unless you take the time to call and inquire about special promotional rates on a weekly -- or daily basis. Of course, your TA would have to be willing to take a decrease in the commission if he or she grabbed the lower price for you.

Lets face facts....the reason Royal changed their price drop policy is because of exactly whats happening in the economy right now.....bookings are dramatically slowing, prices are dropping and there is plenty uncertainty...if things were good they wouldn't of changed anything. Man....my mailbox is so full with new CL sales events each day I am going crazy just trying to keep up with deleting them all. Royal's new policy is aimed at trying to protect their bottom line and make shareholders/Wall Street happy. HOWEVER what I am not sure that they thought thru fully was that the customer would start to adapt....there is little doubt in my mind that the new wave for the near to mid future with current policy will be last minute booking. Just look at the drops that are occurring after final....the large amount of "Special Sale Pricing"....all these protect them from price matching...trying to keep the game in their favor.

You know it's funny....many people always respond to these posts with the ...."don't you think a large company like this knows what they are doing.....do you think they would still be in business".....well just let me remind you about Circuit City....LINENS 'N THINGS.....Lehman Brothers....all the large banks that went under....the list goes on and on.....I am not saying that Royal is about to go under or any such thing....but these are just people at corporate level...many like you and I just trying to see what works and making educated guesses that sometimes work...and sometime don't....they aren't sitting with any crystal ball.

Yes, no doubt that RCI makes decisions based on what they think will be best for their bottom line. But then so do we consumers. Perhaps it is a zero sum game. You are right - time will tell. :)

Wow...on our last Mariner cruise, we were booked into a D1 quad. When the prices for insides dropped to the same price as the 3/4 rate we were paying, we moved our kids out of the quad and into an inside. However, we couldn't stay in the D1 because it wasn't across from any inside they had available. So, we moved into a D3 that was across the hall from the inside where they placed our kids. The D3 was more expensive than we originally paid for the 1st/2nd on the D1. The customer service again I spoke with gave us price protection and did not charge us the new rate on the 1st/2nd person.

Triple/quad cabins often go for a premium, depending upon the demand on any give cruise. It may be that, in your case, they were happy to move you out of the quad, because those cabins were in high demand, and they expected to be able to sell it for more than the D3 they were moving you into.

The OP, on the other hand, apparently had a double at a super-cheap rate and wanted to be moved into a triple at the same super-cheap rate. That's not a win for the cruise line to do that.

Nobody really won here...not you and not the cruiseline for your cancellation.

I hope the OP won here by feeling better about it. The cruiseline definitely won here IMO as they got rid of a very dscounted booking and have probably sold that cabin at a way higher price.;)

others will chime in. You are wrong as this has been on the boards for weeks.

Me thinks we will agree to disagree, have you booked anything sine May 17, 2010?

Sorry, but SeaUs is correct here. The 48 hour rule is only for those bookings made after final payment due date and thus have to be paid in full at booking.

I rather not comment on that other site you mentioned and the accuracy of that site:rolleyes::eek:;) (of course this was kind of a comment anyway:p)

Here is the Best Price Guarantee from RCI's website

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?s.gifA: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

I really think RCCL shot themselves in the foot when they instituted the new policy on price drops, we have received numerous price drops by carefully monitoring their booking engine, sometimes as much as $300.00 per person.

Now there is no incentive for us to book prior to final payment or even later, as for cabin selection, any balcony is pretty comparable, just on different levels of the ship.

If we find an itinerary we would really like to go on, we always have the option of booking and canceling before final payment, and re-booking if there is a significant price drop, this would be a workable solution until they start to impose a hefty cancelation fee.

I really think RCCL shot themselves in the foot when they instituted the new policy on price drops, we have received numerous price drops by carefully monitoring their booking engine, sometimes as much as $300.00 per person.

Now there is no incentive for us to book prior to final payment or even later, as for cabin selection, any balcony is pretty comparable, just on different levels of the ship.

If we find an itinerary we would really like to go on, we always have the option of booking and canceling before final payment, and re-booking if there is a significant price drop, this would be a workable solution until they start to impose a hefty cancelation fee.

Many people have already posted the they will give you price drops that occur before final payment time (but you won't get the 110% of the difference described in the new policy; that only applies w/in 48 hours of booking).

So really, there is just as much incentive to book early as there ever was, the biggest of which is that it protects you against price increases (which is what usually seems to happen with the cruises I've booked).

SeaUs is completely correct and YES booked and done a few price drops since the May 17th date and absolutely no issues getting the reduction before final payment

This is what really sums it up at this point...it's like the last stand....the CL's have ultimately cornered the consumer to react in such a way and the only card left in their hand to play is to start charging a cancellation penalty....and that will become game zero....once they try that, they might as well forget about trying to get anyone to book outside of final.

It's a real shame.....but land vacations with cancellation policies that usually run anywhere from 72 hrs right on to 6pm same day are starting to look like a real good alternative in this economy.

Archived