Whales in the Mexican Riviera?

Renorita

Simple question, and have asked on a couple different threads with no response. Can someone who has sailed to Cabo in Oct/Nov tell me if there are whales during that time of year? Have only seen them in Hawaii, so have no idea. Thank you :)

I think it is too warm at that time of year for Mexico. I know that in Hawaii last fall, it was too warm for us to see any.

I found this statement on Cruise Critic.

Cabo's signature landmark is El Arco ("The Arch"), a rock formation at the tip of "Land's End," where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez. A boat trip there is a must, if only to come face to face with the hundreds of noisy sea lions who reside on the rock formations. Cruise lines offer a myriad of excursions around El Arco, from glass bottom boats to catamaran sails. If you have time, hire a water taxi to take you to "Lovers Beach," the only beach in the world bounded by two different oceans. A whale watching excursion is another "must do," if you are there between December and March, when thousands of California gray whales and other species are making their annual migration from colder climates.

Simple question, and have asked on a couple different threads with no response. Can someone who has sailed to Cabo in Oct/Nov tell me if there are whales during that time of year? Have only seen them in Hawaii, so have no idea. Thank you :)

Renorita, October is way too early for whales, normally they do not arrive in Cabo till very late November or early December. This past November was an exception we were on the Oosterdam November 13th and arrived in Cabo November 18th and it was a big thrill to go out on a Coastal Cruise and for it to end up being a Whalt Watch Excursion. We had whales all over the place. The crew were as excited as us on this excursion.

You can see them in my Ryndam pictures Part 2 MS Ryndam will have the Cabo pictures with the whales http://community.webshots.com/user/laffnvegas1

If you are planning end of October first of November not lickly you will see any. We are going October 8th this year and know there will be no whales:( 2004 was kinda of a whale year for us. We saw many whales in Alaska then turn around in November and saw even more.

Whale-season in Mexico starts mid December. In P. Vallarta no earlier then that date tours are allowed to start. (In order to give the animals some rest)

I guess Cabo will be more or less the same

On our return from Mexico however last october we spotted a few far away on the sea, between Cabo and LA.

Seen a whale last week near Porte Vallarte with a baby swimming around the back of the ship. Also when I was tendering seen one large tail coming up. Lots of dolfins swimming and giving a good show. Watch early in the morning on the back of the ship.

This was on the Oosterdam 1/29-2/5.

Archived