Need info on Eurodam HA balcony Cabin VA6002

CarolZaga

I would appreciate any information, positives and negatives on handicapped-accessible cabin VA6002 (Eurodam) located on the Upper Verandah Deck forward? :)
Go to the top of the forum, click Search This Forum, and enter "6002". You'll find a dozen threads with some comments. Here's one for starters:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=556168&highlight=6002

I haven't stayed on HAL yet, but looking at the deck plan - that cabin would be pretty inconvenient (in my opinion) if mobility is an issue for a passenger. It's as far away from everything (elevators, dining room, etc) as it can pretty much be.

Of course, I'm sure that wrap around deck would be nice for anyone....and the larger size of the room would be helpful if you're traveling with (or are personally) someone in need of an HA cabin.

I've also heard it can be bumpy in the front of the ship, so if seasickness is of any concern, please take this into consideration.

Of course, I'm sure that wrap around deck would be nice for anyone.
6001 and 6002 don't get a wrap-around deck, just one facing the side. The deck plan doesn't show it, but there are partitions there.

6001 and 6002 don't get a wrap-around deck, just one facing the side. The deck plan doesn't show it, but there are partitions there.
The picture I showed and comment about "facing the side" is for 6004, not 6002. Sorry. :o:o

I haven't stayed on HAL yet, but looking at the deck plan - that cabin would be pretty inconvenient (in my opinion) if mobility is an issue for a passenger. It's as far away from everything (elevators, dining room, etc) as it can pretty much be.

Of course, I'm sure that wrap around deck would be nice for anyone....and the larger size of the room would be helpful if you're traveling with (or are personally) someone in need of an HA cabin.

I've also heard it can be bumpy in the front of the ship, so if seasickness is of any concern, please take this into consideration.

If a person is in a wheelchair, the distance to the elevators is not an issue - unless, of course, it's a manual wheelchair and someone has to push him/her!

We stayed in 6001 on the Eurodam.

As someone else posted, there is not a wrap-around deck. Think about it logistically ... a wrap-around deck all the way forward?!!!

As it is, that small public deck is only open when the ship is in port. Too windy otherwise.

The cabin is a nice size, and there is a ramp to the balcony. DH does not like balconies for the most part - though he did when we had a wake cabin!

The biggest problem we had with 6001 was the space between the built-in desk/couch and the bed. DH is in a power wheelchair and it was a tight squeeze for him to get through that space. Obviously others in chairs had the same problem, as the corner of the couch was ripped up.

I e-mailed HAL's access and compliance staff and included photos to show them the damage being done to the couch and suggesting at some point that they make changes to better accommodate wheelchairs [and save the furniture!]

Yes, a cabin all the way forward can make for some extra motion, but to me it has never been a problem. I wear the wristbands the first day and then I am fine. DH never has any issues with seasickness.

The one thing I don't like about the location is that it's so windy, it's not always pleasant being on the balcony. I would never go out there at night - just open the door and the drapes get sucked out!!!

Actually, you are right.

The balconies on those cabins face the side.

The forward deck there is public, and when it's open [when the ship is in port] anyone can use it.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information. I have a hold on the cabin right now as I'm still trying to decide if this is the right choice. I was originally looking at a VD category which has the jut out balcony. But from what I understand there is no sitting area/small sofa, just a chair. My husband had a stroke and is ambulatory, walking with the use of a cane. We also use a wheelchair for when he gets tired and for very rough seas. Since the cruise we are looking at is a total of 19 days (combined Canada/New England and Caribbean) I would really appreciate a place to relax myself after a day of sightseeing. I have many factors to consider and am just trying to decide the best option. I do so very much appreciate everyone's input.:)

Contact HAL's Access and Compliance Department and they can send you pictures of this cabin.

If he is ambulatory, you might consider not booking an accessible cabin at all, and considering a cabin that is close to the elevators.

It is a bit of a hike to the other areas - elevators, MDR, etc. from 6002.

He'll need the wheelchair for that, I would guess.

For DH, not a problem as he has a power chair.

But for someone who might be walking with a cane, or being pushed in a manual chair, the distance could be an issue.

Also, FYI, no tub in that VA, just a roll-in shower.

Balcony is the standard VA size.

The picture I showed and comment about "facing the side" is for 6004, not 6002. Sorry. :o:o
I was right the first time: on the Eurodam (and N.A.) the corner VA HC cabins are 6001 and 6002. I got confused when I accidentally looked a Vista diagram, where 6001 and 6002 are F cabins in the center. So the picture I posted a few back does apply to Eurodam 6002. :o

Oceanwench - I just read your post #9. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I have book va6001 for 3 of us and am now worried about the size. Are there any pictures out there to see the set up. Not the cruise ship pictures as they never show the handicapped cabin only the regular cabin set up. Can you get to cabin va6002 with out walking a long way? Other family members are in that cabin.

Has anyone stayed in that cabin?

Help on how comfortable this cabin is.

I see that you stayed in cabin va6001. We are booked into that cabin and I am having second thoughts. Online it looks bigger then the other handicapped cabins which we need as there are 3 of us staying in it.

Is the balcony unusable while cruising? Is there a window in front to see forward? I see the balcony is facing the side,is it hard to get the wheelchair,(manual) outside? We are going to Norway next summer and it would be nice to sit outside and see the beautiful landscape.

Thank you for your help.

We have stayed in VA6002 on the Eurodam, and the other family travelling with us were in VA6001. These were given to us approx 6 days before sailing as we had booked VF guarentee. Both rooms we found to be a nice size, and nicely laid out. We were a little dissapointed with the balcony partition, but it worked out just fine, and was nice to have it as a little wind breaker. Being so far forward, we did experience a little sea sickness, but were used to it by the 2nd or 3rd day into the cruise.

I will try and find some pictures of the cabin and post them on here. Overall a very nice room, with lots of space. :)

I have book va6001 for 3 of us and am now worried about the size. Are there any pictures out there to see the set up. Not the cruise ship pictures as they never show the handicapped cabin only the regular cabin set up. Can you get to cabin va6002 with out walking a long way? Other family members are in that cabin.

Has anyone stayed in that cabin?

Help on how comfortable this cabin is.

On a previous Eurodam cruise we had both rooms booked (6002 and 6001). The rooms are not far apart, however, you have to exit 6001... turn left, then turn right down the hallway directly beside 6009. Turn right again at the end of that small hallway, and 6002 is the last door on the left. Its not far, but not extremely close.

I see that you stayed in cabin va6001. We are booked into that cabin and I am having second thoughts. Online it looks bigger then the other handicapped cabins which we need as there are 3 of us staying in it.

Is the balcony unusable while cruising? Is there a window in front to see forward? I see the balcony is facing the side,is it hard to get the wheelchair,(manual) outside? We are going to Norway next summer and it would be nice to sit outside and see the beautiful landscape.

Thank you for your help.

You should have easy access to the balcony, and we had no problems using it while cruising. There are no windows facing forward to see out, just the balcony door in these rooms.

Thank you for the info. Were you able to use the balcony while sailing? Any problems getting to the elevators. Dad is in a wheelchair and we need the handicapped cabin but were concerned about the size.

We have stayed in VA6002 on the Eurodam, and the other family travelling with us were in VA6001. These were given to us approx 6 days before sailing as we had booked VF guarentee. Both rooms we found to be a nice size, and nicely laid out. We were a little dissapointed with the balcony partition, but it worked out just fine, and was nice to have it as a little wind breaker. Being so far forward, we did experience a little sea sickness, but were used to it by the 2nd or 3rd day into the cruise.

I will try and find some pictures of the cabin and post them on here. Overall a very nice room, with lots of space. :)

May I use the photos also along with the description of the stateroom??

Joanie

Thank you for the info. Were you able to use the balcony while sailing? Any problems getting to the elevators. Dad is in a wheelchair and we need the handicapped cabin but were concerned about the size.

No problems using the balcony while sailing. The elevators are fairly far away, however they are easily accesbile. No members of our travelling party are handicapped, however we were given these rooms as they were not booked on this cruise. The size should be fine, it is larger than the average accessible room, we were pleasently suprised.

We stayed in this cabin on the Eurodam. Also the forward HC cabins on Vista ships. DH is in a powerchair and is not comfortable going out on the balcony in the VAs - but they are certainly accessible. They are ramped.

I rarely used the balcony while sailing, due to the wind.

Getting to the elevators was no problem - as DH is always in his chair, it's a short ride!

Archived