Christian Cruisers

Good Evening All,

I am a first time cruiser, and I was wondering if there are Sunday services held on Royal Caribbean ships? As you all know, God does not take a vacation, so why would we forget about him while we enjoy all the finest the seven seas has to offer.

Thanks so much for your insights,

Rev. Tim Carington

Good Evening All,

I am a first time cruiser, and I was wondering if there are Sunday services held on Royal Caribbean ships? As you all know, God does not take a vacation, so why would we forget about him while we enjoy all the finest the seven seas has to offer.

Thanks so much for your insights,

Rev. Tim Carington

it is my understanding that as a Rev when you board you can offer to hold services (free of course) and post a sign on the CBB.

T

There is usually a non-denominational service held by a lay person. This is usually a member of the entertainment staff. However, a Sunday to Sunday cruise may not have a service, since the turn around day is Sunday. Some cruises, especially around the holidays (Christmas & Easter) there is a Catholic Priest who gives a Catholic Mass & usually a nondenominational service, also.

If a clegyman is on board & volunteers to hold a service, they not only allow it, they encourage it.

So, Rev if you want to hold services, the Christians on board would enjoy it.

Another place you can check for services is the community bulletin board where folks can post notices of special meetings. The community bulletin is usually somewhere near the customer service counter. In fact, I would definitely check there because religious services don't always get printed in the Cruise Compass.

I've found services to be a hit or miss sort of thing, depending on whether any of the passengers step up to lead them. The only time we've been to services onboard was when one of our tablemates (a minister) held them. He put a card up on the bulletin board after securing a time and place, and they were pretty well attended by passengers and crew alike.

In the old days it used to be very common for a priest or minister to be assigned to a cruise ship. Now it is more hit or miss. In 2008, a cruise staff member held nondenominational services on an 18 day cruise. In 2009, for a B2B cruise of almost 35 days the only services were saboth services on Fridays. This year I saw a post on my Roll Call from a priest that he would be assigned to our cruise. So at least I knew there would be a priest for that cruise.

To solve this dilemma I have taken to bringing a video of a catholic mass that I can watch on Sundays. It is very easy to download the readings for that Sunday, and I am set to go.

I bet if you asked the cruise director, they could print an announcement for the service in the Cruise Compass.

That happened for me on my first cruise on NCL. It was my honeymoon and although it was during Chanukah, the cruise line had no service or celebration planned for the Jewish passengers. After we inquired, the cruise director offered to an announcement printed in the daily schedule. My bride and I ended up leading a brief service, which included a menorah lighting. About 30-50 people attended. The CD sent us a bottle of wine in appreciation.

The next year we cruised with RCI, and they went all out for the Sabbath Service.

I bet if you asked the cruise director, they could print an announcement for the service in the Cruise Compass.

That happened for me on my first cruise on NCL. It was my honeymoon and although it was during Chanukah, the cruise line had no service or celebration planned for the Jewish passengers. After we inquired, the cruise director offered to an announcement printed in the daily schedule. My bride and I ended up leading a brief service, which included a menorah lighting. About 30-50 people attended. The CD sent us a bottle of wine in appreciation.

The next year we cruised with RCI, and they went all out for the Sabbath Service.

Not to start a "rukus" but a reminder....not all Sabbath keepers are Jewish. My wife and I keep the bible Sabbath when we cruise and just do our own thing on Saturdays since they don't have an official service. Always receive a blessing from morning prayer and watching the sunrise.

As stated, it can be hit and miss. On our Vision cruise to Alaska, it was held in one of the lounges by a minister; we sang a song and read a few Scriptures. I believe he said a few words. It was non-denominational, and was printed in the Cruise Compass as to time and date.

On our Liberty cruise, they had a service in the theater, except that it was by way of a DVD by Phil Osteen and led by a member of the Cruise Director's team. I did not happen to attend that one, but I heard from others this is what they did.

To answer your question, check the Cruise Compass for time and place; if you want to know ahead of time, I'm sure they can give you more information at the Guest Relations Desk when you board.

Have a great first cruise!

10 cruises and only once was there a service, but it was very enjoyable. A few prayers and scripture readings by any that attended. A couple hymns known by most (Amazing Grace) It was led by a crewmember. We're sailing on Oasis in Sept. and are praying for another.

I can't answer your question, but the one to ask is Rev Neal. He is a priest that cruises a lot. He is very active on CC, mostly on the HAL boards. I do think he normally goes on HAL, and not on RCCL. What I understand from his posts, is that he leads services on board sometimes. You can find him and his contact details (website, instant messenger, etc) here.

From his signature, it seems he went on a cruise yesterday, so it might take some time to get an answer.

Rev. Carington, when are you sailing? We'd love to find out you were sailing with us and even if you aren't we encourage you to lead a service!

Hello Again Everyone,

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement! I will be sailing on the Majesty Of The Seas out of Miami, Florida on 9/6/10. I hope to follow your good advice and drum up the fellowship of some Christians on board!

Rev. Carington

Not to start a "rukus" but a reminder....not all Sabbath keepers are Jewish. My wife and I keep the bible Sabbath when we cruise and just do our own thing on Saturdays since they don't have an official service. Always receive a blessing from morning prayer and watching the sunrise.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

The Jewish Sabbath begins on Friday evening around sundown. If the cruise bulletin lists a "Sabbath Service" scheduled for Friday night, almost certainly it will be a Jewish service. (Personally, I wish it would be identified as a "Shabbat Service", to avoid any misunderstanding.)

Hello Again Everyone,

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement! I will be sailing on the Majesty Of The Seas out of Miami, Florida on 9/6/10. I hope to follow your good advice and drum up the fellowship of some Christians on board!

Rev. Carington

I think that is great that you are thinking about that and as a fellow christian would love to attend the service with you.

We are on this same cruise, but it is a Monday - Friday cruise, no Sunday service needed. We could always have a mid-week fellowship....

Join the roll call for this cruise.

As stated, it can be hit and miss. On our Vision cruise to Alaska, it was held in one of the lounges by a minister; we sang a song and read a few Scriptures. I believe he said a few words. It was non-denominational, and was printed in the Cruise Compass as to time and date.

On our Liberty cruise, they had a service in the theater, except that it was by way of a DVD by Phil Osteen and led by a member of the Cruise Director's team. I did not happen to attend that one, but I heard from others this is what they did.

To answer your question, check the Cruise Compass for time and place; if you want to know ahead of time, I'm sure they can give you more information at the Guest Relations Desk when you board.

Have a great first cruise!

On the Explorer cruise in early June, Sunday services were listed in the screening room at 9 AM (cruise staff facilitates a Prerecorded TV service). My DH & I & several others were there and the room was locked. At 9:15 AM one of the pax used the house phone to call guest services. We were told the service had been canceled as they were doing a black out test.(test takes 5 min or less). DH went to guests services and told them it would have been nice to have a note on the door about the cancellation. As another poster mentioned these seem very haphazard. Go for it!!

• 1 month later...

We were recently on the Celebrity Solstice, and the first day happened to share a table with a couple in the AquaSpa Cafe. During the conversation we learned that he's a rabbi and a retired Army chaplain. He said clergy volunteer to serve aboard ships in exchange for free cruises, and there's a service that matches interested clergy with various cruiselines. He & his wife were on the Solstice for 2 weeks. His responsibilities are to lead Jewish worship services on Fridays and High Holy Days; and if there doesn't happen to be a Christian minister aboard, he also conducts Christian services on Sundays! Throughout the cruise he is on call to pastor to passengers and crew whenever needed. He's not allowed to perform weddings on the ship, but said he had conducted many vow renewal ceremonies.

Interestingly, although the clergy are serving the cruiseline, he told us they're not allowed to announce religious services in the Dailies (Celebrity's version of Compass) because they're considered "social gatherings." Celebrity's policy is not to publish details about any "social gatherings," so passengers are directed to a bulletin board near Guest Relations to learn about meetings such as Friends of Bill W., Friends of Dorothy, etc. Sadly, I'm sure passengers often miss worship services on the ship...just because they're not aware they're being held.

Archived