Size & amount of luggage

jeska00

Hi all! We're doing a Mediterranean Cruise and are trying to decide what size of luggage we should bring and if we should bring 1 bag for the two of us (plus a carry on) or 2 bags for the two of us. I've heard it's a good idea to have a carry just in case your luggage is delayed getting to your room. How do you pack?

Thanks!

The amount of luggage we take depends on the length of the cruise. If we check in two bags we will try to spread our items between the two bags so that if one bag gets lost we still have plenty of items in the other bag. We each take a carry on bag which includes medicines, any valuables, electronic equipment and a few other items.

We find that for checked luggage that 28" pieces work well. Ours come with suiters that allow us to hang certain items in a special compartment. If we don't want to use the suiter we can remove it.

Be sure the size of your carry on complies with the rules for the specific airline you are flying.

We believe in flying in at least one day prior to the cruise and if going to Europe a few days before the cruise. This way we know we will not miss the ship if there are flight delays or cancellations, we get over the jet lag and it provides more time to locate luggage should the luggage not arrive on time. The day we embark the cruise we wear clothes that if our luggage is delayed getting to the cabin will be fine for the day and for dinner.

Keith

We've been doing all carry-on for awhile but if you're going to check luggage I recommend checking 2 bags that have been cross-packed. When we used to check luggage we made sure our carry-on had a few days clothes for each of us in case the checked was lost (it has been) as well as all necessary medications, valuables etc.

I also agree with Keith. Go in at least a day early in case of airline mishaps. You'll get to see the city and acclimate yourself to the time change.

Hi jeska00

One of the things you need to consider is the checked baggage allowance of your airline(s), particularly if you have another flight in Europe with another carrier. Commonly the max weight per bag is 20-23kilos per bag per person (some even les) , so even if you bring one large bag, you may not be able to fill it up and keep to the weight limit.

Depending on whether you have transfers from the airport to the port or not. you also have to consider the practicalities of perhaps haveing to lug cases up a few stairs or whatever.

In your circumstnaces, I'd pack 2 cases and split things between them so that if one goes missing, you don't have one of you with no clothes at all.

I always take a carry on. Three main reasons

1. The cruiseline I use, asks you to put your case out the night before you leave the cruise, so I need a bag to put all my remaining things in, in the morning.

2. It helps me keep my checked luggage within the weight limit by using up all my carry on allowance

3. I'm a bit of a pessimist. I've twice had my luggage go astray for a day on the way to a holiday and 8 times on the way back. so like to take a few things with me onboard noiw just in case. The longer the journey/more connections - the more I pack. never want to have to spend 36 hours again in the same clothes and with no toiletries or anything else for that matter!

Valuables (cameras, jewelry) go into your carry on with your medicines and other things you can't live without.

Do cross pack your checked bags as suggested above but do not split an outfit between the 2 bags.

Be aware that many airlines in Europe have restrictions on how much weight and how many items you can carry on board.

We do not travel lightly. So we would have 2, 3 or even 4 checked bags (hey, between his 2 different tuxes and my snorkel gear, it's bulky).

One thing I'd warn about. Most of the beds in the cabins we've been in have space underneath for a standard large size suitcase, so you can store it out of the way during the cruise.

But we had a very boxy piece of luggage that was about 14" high laying flat. It didn't fit under the bed, and on cruises where we had a small closet we had to ask the steward to store it, not a standard practice on all lines. And we also had to wait around the night before departure to get it back to pack.

Luckily it was on its last legs and now we have more standard sized luggage.

Having just return from a land-based trip in Europe, I will tell you to pack at least a few changes of clothes in your carry-on. I took a 25" suitcase (checked) and a large backpack as my carry-on. My suitcase was lost on our connecting flight and didn't make it to our final destination until two full days later. (Thankfully I had a few outfits in the bottom of my backpack) I should mention that I had zero toiletries in my carry-on. After traveling for 9+ hrs, I was in desperate need of a toothbrush. (I had to go to the local grocery store to buy toiletries) For my cruise next summer, I will be packing a majority of my clothes and toiletries in my carry-on. One thing that worked well on this past trip...space saver packing bags. I felt like I was able to pack more in a limited amount of space. (Plus, I used the 2nd empty bag for dirty laundry)

One question I have is...I was told that my carry-on should not exceed 18lbs, yet mine was never weighed. (Going to Europe or coming home) Is this normal or did I "luck out???" If so...then I will pack more in my carry-on than in my main suitcase...(of course they DID measure my main suitcase)

Having just return from a land-based trip in Europe, I will tell you to pack at least a few changes of clothes in your carry-on. I took a 25" suitcase (checked) and a large backpack as my carry-on. My suitcase was lost on our connecting flight and didn't make it to our final destination until two full days later. (Thankfully I had a few outfits in the bottom of my backpack) I should mention that I had zero toiletries in my carry-on. After traveling for 9+ hrs, I was in desperate need of a toothbrush. (I had to go to the local grocery store to buy toiletries) For my cruise next summer, I will be packing a majority of my clothes and toiletries in my carry-on. One thing that worked well on this past trip...space saver packing bags. I felt like I was able to pack more in a limited amount of space. (Plus, I used the 2nd empty bag for dirty laundry)

One question I have is...I was told that my carry-on should not exceed 18lbs, yet mine was never weighed. (Going to Europe or coming home) Is this normal or did I "luck out???" If so...then I will pack more in my carry-on than in my main suitcase...(of course they DID measure my main suitcase)

It's up to the airline/airport/clerk whether they weigh your carryon or not. I have had them weighed (and found too heavy) in Miami, JFK, London...Going to London, Virgin Atlantic charged me overweight for my checked bag (it was) but didn't weigh my rollong backpack carryon or backpack/purse. Returning from LHR, my checked bag was still overweight, but they didn't charge me. she asked to weigh my rolling carryon and said it was over (her limit was less than what the website specified) so I had to check it...no charge. I did have to take the laptop out of it. After I left the counter, I weighed the backpack I was carrying as purse...and it also was over the limit she set! EM

When we travel internationally we take one backpack for the two of us and a soft sided carryon with some essential toiletries and a change. Lugging suitcases around when using public transportation (subways/busses) is just too cumbersome and backpack is the way to go. Downside is that it limits what you can take (we do pack an extra totebag in cae we need to lug souveniers back home) but the convenience factor is huge. Yes, we're the ones that may wear the same outfit twice (or three times) onboard. Most ships have laundry facilities so no worries.

Basic rule of thumb, select what you think you need, then put half of it back. (BTW, we're mid-fifties so we do get a few odd looks from passerbys with our choice of luggage).

From what I'm hearing, you lucked out :-) The airline I'm flying for part of my European trip only allows 12lbs in carryon. Sigh. Honestly though, last year when I went to Europe I flew on Alitalia, and I remember them specifically weighing the checked bag, but don't recall them weighing my carryon or personal item. I imagine it just depends on how the workers are feeling about the passengers that day hehe.

Can't argue with the excellent advice you've already been given (cross-packed checked luggage, change of clothes plus valuables/essentials in hand luggage etc). But beware the 100ml liquid rule, still a major security thing in Europe, so pack any larger toiletries etc in checked luggage, & anyway avoid unneccessary excess charges by decanting a vacation's-worth into smaller containers.

Re weight of hand luggage.

In Europe they tend to be fussy about the dimensions, any dimension max 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 17.7in x 9.8in approx) & they have cages of these dimensions at security into which the bag must fit.

And the one-bag pp rule is still enforced at many airports, so handbag and laptop must fit in the bag.

But not usually so fussy about weight. Some airlines have NO weight limit (eg flights I've taken with BA), and where there is a weight limit you'll probably be lucky & not weighed, except perhaps on budget airlines.

So heavier items - shoes, chargers, etc in hand luggage or pockets.

For amusement while waiting at the airport, watch folk unpacking & repacking in line at selected check-ins such as Ryanair :D

John Bull

Archived