New dress code

ronjo

Brimary,

I'm confused. I'm going to be on the same cruise you are on (Cloud leaving August 3 from London), and I thought the material I received said that there would be 2 formal nights, 4 informal nights, and 4 casual nights. I would love it if in fact there will be 3 formal nights, but I want to make sure I'm not mispacking. (if that's a word). Could you point me in the direction of the information you have that states there will be 3 formal nights?

Many thanks.

The booklet Setting Sail page 5 sent to us indicates what I posted.Look forward to meeting you onboard whatever the outcome re dress code.

The booklet Setting Sail page 5 sent to us indicates what I posted.Look forward to meeting you onboard whatever the outcome re dress code.

Many thanks for your response, brimary. Just to be sure I understand -- on page 5 of my "Setting Sail" Guide, it states that a 10 day voyage has 2 formal nights, 4 informal nights, and 4 casual nights. Is that the same as your Guide states?

Thanks again.

There is no rule against wearing the tux on a non-formal night. It might help counter some of the excessively casual dress on other nights. :D

Amen!

We always feel very elegant when we are in formal wear regardless of whether it's in Alaska, Tahiti, the Caribbean or the Med! I fail to understand why it is such a big deal to dress appropriately for the venue. SS is more formal than other lines, and that should be part of its allure.

Brimary and Sweet Pea - have just booked the same cruise today so there will be a delay in getting our cruise documents. Is it 2 formal or 3 formal ? I need to know what to pack as everything will be a rush now. Also I would be grateful if you could tell me where and what time we embark.

Many thanks

Sweep

Brimary and Sweet Pea - have just booked the same cruise today so there will be a delay in getting our cruise documents. Is it 2 formal or 3 formal ? I need to know what to pack as everything will be a rush now. Also I would be grateful if you could tell me where and what time we embark.

Many thanks

Sweep

How great to have just booked the cruise. What fun!

As to formal nights, the cruise document I received says there will be 2 formal nights. I'm not entirely clear what Brimary's information says, so I'm looking forward to hearing further from him as well.

The cruise departs at Tower Pier in London. (It's near the Tower of London). The ship departs at 6:30pm.

Hope this helps.

I agree about a dark suit, especially when there is only one formal night. That way you can use the jacket on elegant casual or informal nights as well and save space in your suitcase.

I did the dark suit and it worked fine on our Norway Coast/Fjords cruise. I had a shirt with French cuffs and nice cuff links to add a little extra for a better "look". I also brought along ties that were a nice gold color and another in silver to provide a little more "dress up" and "glitter" for the look. Those types of ties helped compared to the standard "red pattern" neckwear.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi stevens397.

We'll look forward to seeing you onboard on 8/7. Our documents arrived today and state that there is 1 formal night. My husband has decided to bring a very dark suit and wear a white shirt and gray tie. He has done it before and it has worked well. He does love his tux, but we are going to carry-on only this trip and so the suit coat will do double duty as mentioned above.

You will love Silversea, I'm sure. It will be a beautiful cruise. And yes, it was an incredible value.

Kathy

Hi stevens397.

We'll look forward to seeing you onboard on 8/7. Our documents arrived today and state that there is 1 formal night. My husband has decided to bring a very dark suit and wear a white shirt and gray tie. He has done it before and it has worked well. He does love his tux, but we are going to carry-on only this trip and so the suit coat will do double duty as mentioned above.

You will love Silversea, I'm sure. It will be a beautiful cruise. And yes, it was an incredible value.

Kathy

How long are you onboard for,as a carry on does seem a little light for a cruise.

Originally posted by lordoftheseas:"How long are you onboard for,as a carry on does seem a little light for a cruise. "

It's a 7 day cruise. We try to carry-on as often as possible. Have done China for 3 weeks with carry-on actually. (Returning home we did check an extra bag with all our purchases). But, we have packing down to a science and find that with airlines these days, we prefer to take our bags with us. 7 days is actually easy.

Many thanks for your response, brimary. Just to be sure I understand -- on page 5 of my "Setting Sail" Guide, it states that a 10 day voyage has 2 formal nights, 4 informal nights, and 4 casual nights. Is that the same as your Guide states?

Thanks again.

My Guide page 5 states 3 formal 4 informal 3 casual. I think we have received conflicting information.Never mind if the weather and company are of better quality than the information provided we shall all have a good time.

My Guide page 5 states 3 formal 4 informal 3 casual. I think we have received conflicting information.Never mind if the weather and company are of better quality than the information provided we shall all have a good time.

Here's an email I received today directly from Silversea:

cleardot.gifcleardot.gifInformationDesk@silversea.com

Thank you for your e-mail! On your 10 night sailing there will be 2 formal nights, 4 informal and 4 casual nights.

Best Regards

Information Desk at Silversea

Thanks for clarification, Sweet Pea. Just to be on the safe side I will take one outfit that can be classed as formal/ informal and another informal/casual. Oh dear, men have it so much easier on a cruise don't they? ;)

Sweep

Thanks for clarification, Sweet Pea. Just to be on the safe side I will take one outfit that can be classed as formal/ informal and another informal/casual. Oh dear, men have it so much easier on a cruise don't they? ;)

Sweep

I've decided to do the same thing -- just one more top that can go with black pants. And you're right about men -- what's 1 day more or less with a tuxedo.

I've decided to do the same thing -- just one more top that can go with black pants. And you're right about men -- what's 1 day more or less with a tuxedo.

It's not the tux, it's the darn funny looking shirt and the studs that hold it closed!:p

From the Wall Street Journal today, they have this headline: "Defining 'Country Club Casual'" with these highlights: "Think of 'country club casual' as a festive spin on business casual. It's a look that will work at country-club events across America. Err on the dressy side. Try an open-collar, long-sleeved linen shirt—maybe in cool French blue or peach—or a fine-gauge silk knit polo shirt, worn with khaki trousers and loafers or fisherman sandals. One possibility for your wife is a lovely print or pastel sundress with low-heeled or fancy flat sandals. Another is dressy, wide-legged pants worn with a pretty tunic top or with a tank top and an open kimono jacket. Go ahead and turn up the volume with jewelry and accessories. The country-club setting calls for a spiffy look."

This writer's view of "Country Club Casual" is that it does not always mean or require a sport coat for males, which many on these boards would dispute. There are lots of meanings and phrases for what "dressing up" means these days. This is from the Wall Street Journal, not exactly a wildly liberal or casual publication.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703977004575393642305212932.html?mod=WSJ_0_0_WP_2504_RIGHTTopCarousel_1

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Thanks again.

No mine states 3 formal.

Our docs have just arrived and there is an insert stating that from June 2010 cruises of 10 days have 2 formal, 4 informal and 4 casual. So it looks as if they have changed their policy!

Sweep

Our docs have just arrived and there is an insert stating that from June 2010 cruises of 10 days have 2 formal, 4 informal and 4 casual. So it looks as if they have changed their policy!

Sweep

Thanks we received our documents over 3 weeks ago with no insert which explainsthe diferent information.See you tomorrow have a great cruise.

Thanks we received our documents over 3 weeks ago with no insert which explainsthe diferent information.See you tomorrow have a great cruise.

It is now getting exciting, this time tomorrow we'll be sailing off down the Thames! Have a safe journey down to London.

Sweep/Gwenda

• 5 weeks later...
CanadianKate you are wise to see what the final cruise documents show.

Ok, they came today. But it isn't the documents specific to my cruise but the generic Setting Sail booklet that says only 2 formal nights (and 4/4 casual/informal). The website, specific to my cruise number, says three formal nights (3 casual, 4 informal.)

So which do I believe? Can someone who's completed a 10 day cruise under these conflicting rules let me know which is correct, 3 formal nights or 2?)

(This actually affects my dh more than me since his formal wear is a reversible mandarin jacket and tux pants but with a third formal night he'll need a tux shirt and jacket. For me, I'll just toss in another fancy top to go with my new flowing pants.)

From the Wall Street Journal today...: "Defining 'Country Club Casual'" ... "Think of 'country club casual' as a festive spin on business casual. It's a look that will work at country-club events across America. Err on the dressy side. Try an open-collar, long-sleeved linen shirt—maybe in cool French blue or peach—or a fine-gauge silk knit polo shirt, worn with khaki trousers and loafers or fisherman sandals. One possibility for your wife is a lovely print or pastel sundress with low-heeled or fancy flat sandals. Another is dressy, wide-legged pants worn with a pretty tunic top or with a tank top and an open kimono jacket. Go ahead and turn up the volume with jewelry and accessories. The country-club setting calls for a spiffy look."
Good grief! Was this 2010 or 1910?! My other half says she's a failure: she doesn't own a "pastel sundress". And I haven't been "spiffy" for years.

Got an answer from my TA, it will be 2 formal nights. I'm a bit disappointed, but only because I spent 50 minutes this morning going through my wardrobe to come up with option #3 for formal night. And because I spent a fortune on now unnecessary control-top pantyhose yesterday. Oh well, some will get used on informal nights.

On the plus side, my suitcase will be a lot less heavy (and we'll probably only have one each instead of three for the two of us.)

Archived