A few cruising questions

A couple of questions. I am going on Pacific Jewel on 17th August. Was just wanting to confirm, is it definitely ok to pay your cruise card by debit card? I would prefer this. It is safer than carrying around lots of cash, plus it's your own money. I read in the newest P&O brochure they do use debit card -(Mastercard and Visa). Just wanted to double check from those who have paid this way. Do you get charged fees by using your own money?

Also, what are the charges for using the ATM onboard the ship? And I received my cruise ticket in the mail and it had a form for paying bt credit card. Is this also for debit cards as well? And do you just hand this form in on the day of the cruise? So many questions but I had better find out for sure!! Normally I pay by cash.

Another question. I was wondering if it is possible for someone to please post a currant Pacific Jewel drinks list, particually the wine list? I tried to look it up, but I couldn't see an actual wine list.

Does anyone know, can you get the wine, Killawarra dusk- strawberry on board the ship? I would especially love to know the prices of sparkling wines.

I appreciate and thank you all for your help. :)

A couple of questions. I am going on Pacific Jewel on 17th August. Was just wanting to confirm, is it definitely ok to pay your cruise card by debit card? I would prefer this. It is safer than carrying around lots of cash, plus it's your own money. I read in the newest P&O brochure they do use debit card -(Mastercard and Visa). Just wanted to double check from those who have paid this way. Do you get charged fees by using your own money?

As long as it's a VISA Debit/Mastercard Debit account. For the purposes of your onboard account the Visa/Mastercard Debit card is treated as a credit card. When P&O say 'debit card' they mean a standard atm/key card, which can't be used. Be warned though - make sure you have enough money in your account at the start of the cruise, as the put hold's on the outstanding balance over the course of the cruise, and there has to be money in the account to allow this. I know this for a fact, as the one time I used my Visa Debit card for my cruise account - I thought the transaction would happen at the end of the cruise, after I'd been paid, but the first hold actually went on before my pay had gone in the bank.

And I received my cruise ticket in the mail and it had a form for paying bt credit card. Is this also for debit cards as well? And do you just hand this form in on the day of the cruise?

Yes, just complete the form and present it, and the card, when you check in and they'll do the rest.

Another thing you can do is also pay a lump some of cash as the purser's desk at cruise beginning,

we do this in addition to our credit card, so that any outstanding amount can be taken off credit card at end - without us having to queue at Pursers desk,:)

And it enables us to resist Loading up our credit card too much- which is easy to do:mad:

My Daughter has an Aust. Central Credit Union debit card and tried using the ATM on Pacific Dawn to pay her account and it wouldnt accept her card. So if youre thinking of getting cash out to pay just check it accepts your card before the last seadays! Lucky I was there to bail her out :eek:

Just thought you should know.

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Also, what are the charges for using the ATM onboard the ship? And I received my cruise ticket in the mail and it had a form for paying bt credit card. Is this also for debit cards as well? And do you just hand this form in on the day of the cruise? So many questions but I had better find out for sure!! Normally I pay by cash.

Another question. I was wondering if it is possible for someone to please post a currant Pacific Jewel drinks list, particually the wine list? I tried to look it up, but I couldn't see an actual wine list.

Does anyone know, can you get the wine, Killawarra dusk- strawberry on board the ship? I would especially love to know the prices of sparkling wines.

Hi,

we are sailing on this cruise as well.We sailed on the Jewel in April this year.You can use your visa debit card but they can put a hold on it for 3-5 days which means you cannot shop with it.We found taking cash with us and locking it the safe and going down to the pursers office and paying it off our room account.We both have credit cards with a very low limit.We just use them when we check in and for what we spend on the last night out ...saves queuing at the pursers office.

There is a good selection of wines onboard and they start at $9.00 per glass.We normally drank rothbury estate merlot at $22.00 per bottle which is equivalent to 4 glasses.we ordered the wine at the bars and what we didnt drink we took back to our cabin.Beers on tap VB & carlton draught 4.25 and most cans and stubbies 5.25.Cocktails ranged from 6.50 up.

Look forward to seeing you onboard.

Cheers

Col & Di

We all ways pay cash for our on board account/cruise card, as We dont like hthe extra charges that go with paying by credit card and SOME TIMES the cruise lines over charge on your credit card so intrun yyou have to ring and prove that they have done so. We dont need that sort of hassel after a nice cruise.

My Daughter has an Aust. Central Credit Union debit card and tried using the ATM on Pacific Dawn to pay her account and it wouldnt accept her card. So if youre thinking of getting cash out to pay just check it accepts your card before the last seadays! Lucky I was there to bail her out :eek:

Just thought you should know.

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Wizard cards are excellent - no charges on them.!!! We have had no trouble with overcharging on both of our cruises.

nor have we on all the cruises WE have been on, as WE allways pay cash, WE have read many posts about people being charged credit card fee's or being over charged many times on here.

Hope to see you onboard to, my partner and I are always travelling on this cruise.

I have found a (small) wine list at the bottom of the specialty restaurant menu. the website states that this menu is only for Pacific Dawn and Pacific Sun but i'm sure the prices will be the same/similar across the other ships too.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Steak%20and%20Seafood%20Menu%20Foolscape.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. I have decided to pay my onboard account with cash. Sounds easier and less hassles. I would hate to feel I can't spend or worry whether my card will work!

Also thanks for the wine list. Is there another wine list for the other restaurants? Thanks. :)

Archived