Do they still give tours of the bridge?

Please remember folks that the Captain is in command of the ship, not your status. (Suite D+ etc)

The concierge said that it was not a problem with most every other captain except this particular one. I even commented initially that maybe he was unable to arrange a tour due to weather and the concierge said oh no, he just doesn't like to allow them.

Please remember folks that the Captain is in command of the ship, not your status. (Suite D+ etc)

OMG I was thinking the same thing!!

Easy folks. Yes-ship is run by the captain and it is his/her choice to give none or a first time cruiser a look see!!. I believe it says nothing on the C&A page about tours being included in the loyalty program-correct??:confused:. I know for sure it is not listed as a suite benefit!

You're completely correct, most captains don't have a problem allowing bridge tours, but once in a while you may have a particular captain that doesn't allow it whether your D+ or in a suite.

Pre-911, they did provide more accessibility to the bridge for various passengers, but after that time it is mostly only for D+ or if you're in a suite. We never received an invite until we became D+.

We did on one occurrence last year get a special invitation to the bridge on departure from the port. That was very exciting being "locked" on the bridge with the "red" light on (meaning no one can enter or leave the bridge during this time) We watched them untie the lines with the Pilot giving advice to the bridge officers etc. Of course, we were up there for just about an hour until we got out of the channel and the Pilot boat picked up the Pilot, then the light went to "green". That was very exciting and we took lots of pictures.

Easy folks. Yes-ship is run by the captain and it is his/her choice to give none or a first time cruiser a look see!!. I believe it says nothing on the C&A page about tours being included in the loyalty program-correct??:confused:. I know for sure it is not listed as a suite benefit!

It is listed and it's considered a "Behind the scenes tour" as a D+ perk/benefit or whatever you like to call it.:D

"Behind-the-scenes entertainment tour" is listed as a D/D+ perk. I believe this includes the bridge tour. You are right, it is not listed as a suite perk which is why suite (or other passengers who've asked) guests only get invited if there's room.

The concierge made it sound like this captain did no bridge tours at all, and that it was just his personal preference.

He mentioned that other captains have no problem allowing the tours and that it helps him because it makes the passengers happy.

I did include on my written survey that I was disappointed as a suite passenger that it was not offered (DH really wanted to go :( )

Looks like you got lucky and picked the captain who doesn't give tours! Maybe there was special circumstances on your paticular cruise that made it impossible.

I also commented on the survey.

It is listed and it's considered a "Behind the scenes tour" as a D+ perk/benefit or whatever you like to call it.:D

thanks

But being it does not specify 'bridge tour' a behind the scenes tour could mean just about anything. Including that 'galley' tour some speak of.

thanks

But being it does not specify 'bridge tour' a behind the scenes tour could mean just about anything. Including that 'galley' tour some speak of.

I think you may be picking nits and concentrating too much on the vagueness of the language used in that reference on the website while ignoring the experience of most of the posters. On all of our last several cruises, we have received an invitation for the following "Behind the Scenes" tours: 1)Tour of the Bridge; 2) Galley Tour; and 3) Backstage tour. From the way the invitation is worded it appears that one could accept the invitation for any or all of the three tours.

As noted, sometimes the Captain chooses not to allow bridge tours but that seems to be more the exception than the rule.

The answer to the question heading this thread is that Yes they do, with an occasional exception and with some limitations to those to whom the invitation is extended, still offer bridge tours.:)

Negc-I so understand what you are saying. My point is-some here seem to Expect it. Like it is written some where. It is not. It should not be expected, by suite guests-D+ or anyone else. It is something the captains can extend if they choose to.

I get that many of you have experienced one-as myself but never would think it is a given being where I sleep or what status I am.

Hence the vagueness on the benefit page I'm thinking. A bridge tour is not a given. That's why the talk of a given preference to whom the tour is given to is kind of irrelevant possibly. ;)

thanks

They aren't going to list the tours because they can change from ship to ship and it would be more confusing for everyone if they listed it by ship. Just listing it as "behind the scene" tours leaves it very broad to include or not include various tours upon their discretion without changing the wording on their website.

I think you may be picking nits and concentrating too much on the vagueness of the language used in that reference on the website while ignoring the experience of most of the posters. On all of our last several cruises, we have received an invitation for the following "Behind the Scenes" tours: 1)Tour of the Bridge; 2) Galley Tour; and 3) Backstage tour. From the way the invitation is worded it appears that one could accept the invitation for any or all of the three tours.

As noted, sometimes the Captain chooses not to allow bridge tours but that seems to be more the exception than the rule.

The answer to the question heading this thread is that Yes they do, with an occasional exception and with some limitations to those to whom the invitation is extended, still offer bridge tours.:)

On our tour request card given to us, we have at times selected all of the available tours without any problem, but sometimes the times overlap and you can't do them all.

In the past, we have done: 1) Tour of the Bridge; 2) Galley Tour; 3) Backstage Tour; 4) Ice Rink Tour; 5) Engine Room Tour; and 6) Crew Cabin Tour;

Ok, the last two 5 & 6 I fibbed.:D

They aren't going to list the tours because they can change from ship to ship and it would be more confusing for everyone if they listed it by ship. Just listing it as "behind the scene" tours leaves it very broad to include or not include various tours upon their discretion without changing the wording on their website.

thank you-my point exactly!!!

thank you-my point exactly!!![/quote}

And my point was that fact that the language doesn't specifically mention a tour of the bridge is pretty much overridden by the testimony of people who have posted here that a tour of the bridge is normally one of those offered. The absence of a particular item on any list isn't conclusive evidence that the item isn't included in a general category. Arguing that a list has to be item specific is what causes some people to claim that they can bring onboard certain dangerous items because those items aren't specifically mentioned among the list of prohibited items.

Archived