Need something special for # 35

DDMau

We are sailing Oct 31, 2010 on the Caribbean Princess r/t San Juan. This will be our 9th cruise, but our first on Princess, first in San Juan and first in Southern Caribbean. We will also be celebrating our 35th anniversary Nov 1st. Would like to do something special, I have heard about an ultimate balcony dinner, can anyone tell me about this, how does it work, how much does it cost and how do you book it.

Also I heard you can bring wine on board, how does this work (only wine, not interested in bringing any type of booze on board).

Since this will be a first on Princess for us, is there anything else we might look at to help make this a special cruise for # 35. We will have 3 pre and 2 post cruise days in San Juan, we are planning the pre days to be in the Old San Juan area and the post days in an area closer to the airport and beaches. Any advice or experiences with San Juan would be helpful as well. Thanks

The Ultimate Balcony dinner is $100 per couple (plus tip if you care to). It can only be booked once onboard and I would do this ASAP as they only serve so many per night during your cruise.

Princess allows wine and champagne to be carried onboard, you do not have to put it in your checked luggage but can bring it on in your carry on if you wish.

I highly recommend the UBD! It is well worth the money. Besides the meal being spectacular, it includes a small floral arrangement and an 8x10 photo. As Toto said, make arrangements as soon as you get on the ship so you can schedule for the night of your choice.

I don't know if you have already made all of your hotel reservations, but we stayed at the Wyndham Rio Mar Hotel before our cruise in May and loved it. We bid on it on Priceline for $100 per night. It is out by the rain forest, is a beautiful hotel with a beautiful beach and gives you a chance to see the area outside of San Juan. The rain forest is a must see even if you do not stay in the area. You can get a tour from San Juan. When we stayed at the Rio Mar we rented a car which was much cheaper and easier tha using cabs to and from the hotel and rain forest. Happy anniversary and have a great cruise. If you have not checked out the roll call for your cruise, I suggest you do so. Ours was very active and we got a great chance out talk to our fellow cruisers and get ideas ou the ship activities and tours before our cruise.

I would suggest you look into one of the biobay tours for either the beginning or end of your trip. We actually tried it for our 35th last winter, but unfortunately bad weather intervened. So we're trying to make it happen for #36--actually choosing the cruise date to work for the biobay tour.

I did the Chef's Table and it was excellent. This just happened to fall on the same day as my birthday which was very special.

Depends if you want to be "on your own" or with others I guess - as the CT has a small group. You could also consider one of the speciality restaurants just for the two.

Other things you could do to make the day special - visit the spa for a bit of pampering - even better value if they have offers on - or do a couples treatment. Order flowers for the cabin or chocolate covered strawberries and champagne.

Whatever you do, I hope that your day is very special and you enjoy it as much as I did my birthday. Best wishes.

Archived