Dinner in Maui

margord

FYI, the Longhi's at the Wailea Shopping Center no longer has a view. The view for all four restaurants is now blocked by the new Wailea Villas still under construction - seven stories high. Also, something to consider that we do on every visit to Maui-we go to Mama's Fish House for a late lunch right after arriving at the airport. It's light enough to see the beautiful views and it's also very quiet. It's always the perfect start to our vacation. They take the last seating at 2:00 PM and it's still good to make a reservation.

Haven't been there in a few years (but drive by it a lot) - Chez Paul in Olowalu, about four or five miles south of Lahaina on the main road. French. Wonderful. Not cheap.

I know you haven't mentioned breakfast, but if you want something different (and delicious) try The Gazebo at the Napili Shores resort in Napili. They're not open for dinner...

I'd have to echo Chez Paul as well - definitely NOT cheap (then again, what restaurant on Maui qualifies for that?) but a great exprerience. There was some dessert there that I had that I loved ... something to do with pineapple (pineapple creme brulee, maybe?).

Everyone talks about how casual Longhi's is but for such a casual restaurant, the menu is guaranteed to induce sticker shock. I'm always amazed when checking out the menu.

Spleen

We just completed our annual two-plus months on Maui a few days ago. This thread is making it even MORE difficult to transition to our 'real' home, as I'm still mentally on Maui.

Trying to get dinner reservations at Mama's Fish House was a challenge.... booked three weeks out! Lunch wasn't as difficult though. Beware of the sticker shock as has been mentioned....very expensive place.

We've enjoyed Ma'alaea Grill at the Ma'alaea Harbor by the Aquarium. A very good dinner at a reasonable price.

Kimo's is always fun at Lahaina.

Sea Watch at the Wailea Golf Course near the Grand Wailea is such a quiet and peaceful location, and we've always had a good meal there.

Sea Watch at the Wailea Golf Course near the Grand Wailea is such a quiet and peaceful location, and we've always had a good meal there.

Patti, we will be staying at the Grand Wailea May 10th for a week, Is Sea Watch within walking distance from the Grand Wailea? Also does it have ocean views? It has been 13 years since we stayed in Maui and then we stayed at the Inter-Continetal which I believe is now the Outrigger. Wasn't the Grand Wailea once the Hyatt? I think that was being built the the last time we were in Maui.

Thanks,

definitely NOT cheap (then again, what restaurant on Maui qualifies for that?)
The ones we frequent, great local food, fresh, plentiful, and prepared with aloha... :rolleyes:

Anyone visiting Maui during the September through May timeframe should try one of the island's best-kept secrets, the Pa`ina Food Court at Maui Community College. Maui's Culinary Academy is one of the top two-year programs in the U.S., and Pa`ina is their showpiece. Open for breakfast and lunch only, it is located on MCC's Kaululu campus, right across the street from the Ka`ahumanu Mall.

Yep, first day was April 1st...no April Fool's Day joke either. Very well attended and will be a good addition to the many others throughout the island, esp also now that the next closest one was forced to move because Ah Fook Market Place burned in late February. It was an awful fire, Farmers Market was then displaced to join others at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Mall. But the new Community College one is a great addition.

About Farmers Markets on Maui...Is there one (or more) on the Lahaina side? How about upcountry? We'll be there for 2 weeks in an apartment. I'm really spoiled at home and only buy produce at our local Farmers Markets. I'd love to do the same on Maui. This is our first Maui stay with an actual kitchen--much as I enjoy eating out, I'm looking forward to the option of cooking "at home."

Mahalo,

beachchick

Hi,

Although we had a 2 br, 2 Ba condo with a nice kitchen we did eat out some. We were in Maul from 4/8/2005 to 4/15/2005 and stayed at the Palms at Wailea. Very nice place. Originally we were in the Kaomole Sands condo in Kiehi, but it had some issues with cleanliness, ants and non-functioning items such as the refrig!

Had a great italian meal at Antonio's in the Long's Drug stirp mall. Nice cozy place with great food and reasonable prices.

In discussions with Maui residents they pointed us at Alexander's and Kinos, but we never made it. Another highly regarded place was Da Kitchen, although there was some disagreement bewteen the younger and older residents we talked to about the is place.

Had a nice breakfast at Bagelz (its in Kiehi).

Otherwise we cooked on our grill or ate at some of the chain places like Tony Romas (they did have a great Ono meal though) and Denny's for a quick lunch.

Good luck.

Isn't there a weekly farmers' market at the Community College now? Seems like I read something about that in the paper a few weeks ago.
Yes indeed! The Maui Farm Coop sells at Maui Community College Fridays from 7 A.M. to 1 P.M. There is also a Farmer's Market at Queen Ka`ahumanu Center on Friday's (I think). The folks that used to sell on Wednesday's at Kahului Shopping Center (Ah Fook's) are now (I think) at the Maui Mall on Wednesdays. And, don't forget the Saturday swap meet behind the Kahului Post Office on Pu`unene Avenue.

Sorry about the "I thinks", but I work weekdays and can't make it to the weekday markets. We do know about the one at MCC since it takes place right outside Sandi's office window.

Yep, Bobnsandie, you have them correct. There are those on Lahaina-side also, but never went that far, so not sure. There's also one on Mon-Wed-Fri at the old Suda's Store, where North Kihei Road meets Mokulele Hwy, 1:30-5:00. Of course, the best and a weekly "date" is the Swap Meet! Never miss it.

Discovered a great fish place...Eskimo Candy in Kihei, open only weekdays from 10:00-7:00. Da best fish/chips and excellent fresh fish market also. It sits back from Kihei Road, check the phone book for address as I don't have it handy. I can look it up and post it, but we like Eskimo Candy's food better than Alexander's, although Alexander's has better atmosphere right across the street from one of the Kam Beaches.

Ahhh.....only have been home a week and I miss my Maui island home already :(

Archived