Dinner in Maui

margord

We have always had excellent dinners at the Waterfront in Maalaea. My husband is a big fan of the lobster bisque and I love the potato crusted fish dishes. We also enjoy Roy's and for lunch the Maui Onion is great.They have the best onion rings. If you are celebrating something special or you do not mind a dinner for two running around $130-150 food including drinks the Humuhumu at the Grand Wailea is also excellent. Great atmosphere and excellent food.

Here's another vote for Mama's Fish House --- one of my favorite restaurants, and definitely worth the drive. We also enjoyed Nick's Fishmarket at the Kea Lani --- it's open air and poolside, the view is fantastic of the tiki torches with the pool and then the beach in the distance. And the Waterfront at Maalea was a hit with us, also --- perhaps a little more casual than the others, but great food. I wish I were there right now ---

Here's another vote for Mama's Fish House. Definitely book early as their reservations go quickly. Time your reservation for about a 1/2 hour before sunset and reserve a window table in the diningroom. The view is spectacular and the food and its presentation are the best anywhere. Be prepared for higher than mainland prices wherever you go but especially here. Sorrento's is also great for the same time of the evening, sunset. Go to Waterfront in Maalaea for lunch if you don't have time for dinner.

:) My vote goes to Mama's Fish House, but I would go for lunch, the view is spectacular and at night it's dark and you can't see it! Also, enjoyed Kimos and Hula Grill.

We especially enjoyed the magic show Warren & Annabelle, close up and personal magic. You can get a drink, appetizer, dessert package and we felt it was well worth it. The show is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to comment while it's fresh in my memory...We were disappointed in Spago at the Four Seasons after being impressed on a previous visit. The food was very good but the service was just not up to par. We live near a Spago in California and we always say the same thing about that one. There's something missing in the experience and as for the Spago in Maui - I don't think it's worthy of being located in a Four Seasons. We also went to Mama's Fish House and it was as wonderful as ever but very expensive. It's worth every penny but there is a bit of sticker shock when perusing the menu! They also make the best Mai Tai's I've ever had (the original Trader Vic's recipe). And lastly, Nick's Fishmarket was disappointing as well. After hearing rave reviews, it seemed just okay. There was no ambiance at all and everything else was fairly forgettable. Maybe it was just difficult for them to live up to the expectation. Also, perhaps everything else paled in comparison to Mama's since that was our very first stop upon landing at the airport. We were hoping to go to Sarento's on the Beach but canceled the reservation because by the end of the week we were tired of eating! Maybe next time ...

We will be staying at the Grand Wailia in May for 5 days, how far is it to Mama's Fish House? Does anyone know if the Grand Wailia has any type of shuttle service, like to go to Lahaina and to the airport? It has been over 13 years since we have been to Maui back then we stay at the Inter-Continetal in Wailia which is now the Outrigger. We are thinking of not renting a car this time and mostly lounging around the resort but do want to go to Lahiana and eat at Mama's Fish house. It seems someone told me that Mama's Fish House was close to the airport.

Thanks,

Yes, Mama's Fish House is past the town of Paia which is sort of near the airport (not the driving entrance to the airport - more like near the airport field). It's a pretty good distance from the Grand Wailea - about a 30 minute drive or so assuming no traffic. I might be underestimating the time a little - you'll probably want to give yourself about 45 minutes or so to act as a cushion. I'm pretty sure that the Grand Wailea does not have shuttle services to Lahaina or to the airport but you could always check with the hotel and find out for sure.

I would still rent the car. You don't want to eat at the Grand Wailea unless you have to. Overpriced and the food, IMHO, isn't worth it. Expand your eating options by having the rental car to leave if you need to.

Spleen

We are staying 6 nights in Maui following our cruise. Can anyone sugggest some good places for dinner?

Marilee

Well, I think it depends on what you're looking for.

Longhi's is right in Lahaina, very casual and nice but not as good as it used to be.

The food at Mama's is excellent, but it is always crowded, busy and kind of loud.

If I had only one dinner to have on Maui, I would definitely choose The Bay Club at the Kapalua Bay Hotel. It has excellent food and a relaxed yet elegant atmosphere that is quiet and understated. Plus it's open to the outside where the view is gorgeous - stars, ocean, etc.

Also a nice choice would be Gerard's in Lahaina.

Archived