coumadin and travel insurance

I have not found an insurance that allows for coumadin use with a dosage that may or may not vary some during the 180 day lookback. Part of the cruising has already been deposited more than 30 days ago so that excludes the pre existing waiver. Some one has posted that insulin and coumadin dosing variables are ok for coverage and will not exclude one for payout on a claim. Is this true?--not according to what I read in the policy and what one agent told me on the phone ( of course, this is not always the real truth).

Rather than relying on phone alone I'd check w/ the insurance carriers and get them to send you an email/fax confirming what they say if they do allow it; that way if you have a claim you will have written proof (which always trumps what "Joe told me on the 23rd....") of coverage for that. This maybe something an agent would have to clarify and get back to you on but it should always be in writing when there are "gray areas"

I am not seeing any provision for waiver of pre existing after initial deposit with CSA. In fact, their rate is exorbitant. Maybe it has to do with our location or age.

The waiver is found on page 7 (of 9) in the following coverage document:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/csa/100FS-Cert_9242_1209_100FS1209C.pdf

and reads as follows:

WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you

meet all of the following requirements:

1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24

hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and

2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your

plan payment.

Price of the policy does vary with age, but in checking side-by-side pricing against other reputable policies, the CSA price was not exorbitant. All policies listed on tripinsurancestore.com returned a rate of 5%-8% using my arbitrary chosen stats and price. Cruiseline policies tend to run 8%-12% as I recall. The main difference in pricing between 5%-8% is the amount of coverage; the 'lite' or basic plans run at the lower end and the more comprehensive plans run at the higher end.

I am not seeing any provision for waiver of pre existing after initial deposit with CSA. In fact, their rate is exorbitant. Maybe it has to do with our location or age.

CSA has many policies; not all include the pre-ex waiver.

You can read the policy details of one plan that does at the .pdf provided by another poster, or here: http://www.insuremytrip.com/certificate/CSACUSTL/all.html (Just search for the word "waiver".)

If CSA is your only option to get pre-existing conditions waived, then I think "exorbitant" might be a bit of an exaggeration. "Higher than other polices" might be correct, but it's understandable given the increased risk to the insurance company.

And yes, virtually all 3rd-party policies are charged based on age.

SirWired

The waiver is found on page 7 (of 9) in the following coverage document:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/csa/100FS-Cert_9242_1209_100FS1209C.pdf

and reads as follows:

Price of the policy does vary with age, but in checking side-by-side pricing against other reputable policies, the CSA price was not exorbitant. All policies listed on tripinsurancestore.com returned a rate of 5%-8% using my arbitrary chosen stats and price. Cruiseline policies tend to run 8%-12% as I recall. The main difference in pricing between 5%-8% is the amount of coverage; the 'lite' or basic plans run at the lower end and the more comprehensive plans run at the higher end.

If she's checking on insuremytrip.com she could definitely be seeing a very high rate. The reason is that insuremy trip carries the Custom and Custom Luxe plans from CSA. Unfortunately, with those two plans if you need the pre-existing condition coverage you have to step up to the Luxe version which is quite a bit more expensive.

CSA has other plans. For example the Freestyle and Freestyle Luxe plans and the Comfort and Luxe plans. With these plans you do NOT have to upgrade to the Luxe version and pay that much higher premium in order to get the pre-ex coverage, it's included with even the cheaper versions.

You can find the Freestlye and Freestyle Luxe plans at:

http://www.travelinsurancecenter.com or

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

And the Comfort and Luxe plans at:

http://www.travelprotect.com

Hi ariellejesse,

As the other people have mentioned, CSA has 2 trip cancellation / trip interruption policy series:

- The Custom & Custom Luxe plans

- The Freestyle & Freestyle Luxe plans

Both series are similar in coverage, except that both Freestyle plans cover pre-ex conditions until no later than 24 hours after your final trip payment payment date.

However, just the more expensive Custom Luxe plan covers pre-ex conditions until no later than 24 hours after your final trip payment payment date.

In addition, the Freestyle & Freestyle Luxe plans have fixed pricing (published prices) while the Custom plans prices vary day by day (no published prices).

And, I'm surprised CSA still lets anyone sell the Comfort and Luxe plans. I'm sure that's being phased out.

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

• 4 weeks later...
I have not found an insurance that allows for coumadin use with a dosage that may or may not vary some during the 180 day lookback. Part of the cruising has already been deposited more than 30 days ago so that excludes the pre existing waiver. Some one has posted that insulin and coumadin dosing variables are ok for coverage and will not exclude one for payout on a claim. Is this true?--not according to what I read in the policy and what one agent told me on the phone ( of course, this is not always the real truth).

I spoke recently with a representative for the company "Travelguard" concerning the usage of Coumadin vis-vis "pre-existing" conditions. The initial person I spoke with did not know the answer to my question, that pertained to the problem of varied dosages of Coumadin. After a check with a supervisor, I was told that a change in the dosage of either Coumadin or Insulin, common usage procedures, would not be considered a new medical problem during the pre-existing "lookback" period. It would be considered an "under control" health condition. I haven't purchased insurance yet, but I'll try to get that stipulation "in writing".

Archived