Insurance

smoosh28

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

In May we booked a cruise on the Legend for November and paid for it in full at that time, with insurance.

If we had to cancel our cruise, what money would we be able to get back?

Without going into a lot of detail, my mother started chemo today for lukemia and will now not be able to take care of our daughter as her treatments will continue on through the end of December.

My TA is on vacation and I can't find the terms of the insurance that we bought.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

If your cruise does not depart until November, you are outside the 75-day window for full payment (which I understand you've already made) so if you cancel now, you will get the full price of the cruise refunded by CCL. You will lose your insurance premium cost though, I believe.

You should be covered for a family medical emergency and entitled to a full refund. If you don't want to wait for your TA I'd call Carnival and get the paperwork started -- not sure about the documentation required. Good luck!:)

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

In May we booked a cruise on the Legend for November and paid for it in full at that time, with insurance.

If we had to cancel our cruise, what money would we be able to get back?

Without going into a lot of detail, my mother started chemo today for lukemia and will now not be able to take care of our daughter as her treatments will continue on through the end of December.

My TA is on vacation and I can't find the terms of the insurance that we bought.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Did you get Carnival's Berkely Policy? or did you get a 3rd Party Policy (if so which Company/Policy?)?

Usually the cancellation coverage is for the case where a Relative becomes ill and the Insured HAS to cancel to stay home to take care of the ill relative; that's technically not your situation as you state it and I'm thinking you may not be covered (but it could become the case that you need/have to stay home to take care of Mom? in which case your cancellation would normally be covered?).

If you can post which Insurer/Policy, I can do some research for you.

If you're booked other than Early Saver: you should be able to cancel prior to Final payment with no penaltuies, regardless of insurance. If you cancel after Final Payment, then the Cancellation Penalties in the Cruise contract Will Apply.

If you're booked Early Saver: If you cancel before Final Payment then you lose $50pp of your deposit but you can apply remainder of the deposit to a future cruise w/in 2 years. If you cancel after Final Payment, then the Cancellation Penalties in the Cruise contract Will Apply.

If you purchased Carnival Berkely Policy and you cancel any booking prior to final payment (and have not made an insurance claim) the Premium for the Carnival Berkely Policy is refundable!

ken

We did book Early Saver.

I've looked on all our documents that were emailed to me and can't see where the name of the insurance policy is. Haven't gotten the 'hard copies' of anything yet. Was in not real big hurry to get them with 111 days to go.

A $50 loss per person I can live with.

I would much rather be planning our excursions than how I will be able to stay home & take care of my mom while she goes through these treatments and not loose all my money that I have been saving for this.

We did book Early Saver.

I've looked on all our documents that were emailed to me and can't see where the name of the insurance policy is. Haven't gotten the 'hard copies' of anything yet. Was in not real big hurry to get them with 111 days to go.

A $50 loss per person I can live with.

I would much rather be planning our excursions than how I will be able to stay home & take care of my mom while she goes through these treatments and not loose all my money that I have been saving for this.

Most of the Policies cover your cancellation for a sick relative; some state the requirement that your presence must be required to care for the ill relative.

As you're booked Early Saver and presumably cancelling prior to Final Payment, your $50pp ES cancellation penalty should be covered by insurance, but if you receive a Future Cruise Credit for the balance of your ES deposit, insurance would not reimburse you for that as you've been "reimbursed" with a FCC. It would be good if the Kemo requirement came about after you purchased the Policy.

Post when you know if you have Carnival or Other Insurance?

Do you also have Airfare to be cancelled?

ken

You should be covered for a family medical emergency and entitled to a full refund. If you don't want to wait for your TA I'd call Carnival and get the paperwork started -- not sure about the documentation required. Good luck!:)

If I understand the post correctly, the mother was being used as a babysitter. I don't think babysitting is covered. Now, if the treatments are such that the daughter is needed to assist with her mother's care, then the medical emergency might be an option. Having said that, it is July and the cruise isn't until November. I don't know if the medical emergency could be stretched out that long.

The cruise is outside the 75 day limit anyway, so a full refund would be in order without the insurance if she cancels now. She may lose her premium depending on the type of policy she purchased, but the bottom line is the insurance isn't a factor in this case based on the info we have.

Best wishes and thoughts to the mother for sure. :)

Three thoughts come to mind.

One: Is it possible to take your daughter with you? Kids love cruises. It's a memory making family opportunity.

Two: Is it possible to find another babysitter? There's plenty of time to find a good one.

Three: Having a relative who has gone through chemo, it's hard to know what will happen that far in advance. Schedules change. Maybe see how things go before canceling. Watch your dates carefully though!

Best wishes for successful treatment for your mom.

I would be careful in how I worded the reason for cancelling - the only thing they need to know is your mom will be going thru chemo (no mention of her being the babysitter). I am sure you would want to be near MOm during this time anyway.

Sorry to hear about your Mom's dx and tx, pray for peace and healing for her during this time.

I thought you can and/cancel the insurance policy up to 3 days before the trip. For my trip, insurance is $49 and cancellation fee for ES is $50. If the reason for cancellation is not covered by the insurance, can she cancel the insurance policy and pay the $50 cancellation fee for booking at an ES rate?

Archived