What Am I Allowed to Bring Back to US? Alcohol and Drugs?

Omagic

Husband, I, and 2 children(14 and 5) will be going on a cruise out of New Orleans in September. The ports are Cozumel and Progresso. I know we can bring back bottled liquor. Does anyone know how much or the limit per the U.S. Also heard the duty is so cheap, there really is no limit. What is the duty per litre?

A friend told me about the pharmacies in Mexico and that you can get prescriptions cheaper in Mexico. Is this safe? I'd trust a Canadian pharmacy, but for some reason, getting pharmaceuticals in Mexico seems iffy to me. Any experiences with this? Are the drugs coming from the same drug manufacturers?

One more thing. Friend said some drugs that are "behind the counter" in U.S. are OTC in Mexico. Is this true? If so, what are examples of this? Do I need to carry my prescriptions with me into Mexico, or do I just need to have them when coming back into the U.S. to show Customs?

Also, a friend wants me to get her some Phentermine in Mexico. It's a diet pill that is pretty expensive, even the generic, which Phentermine is. Do I need her prescription for this?

Thanks!!!

I always bring back antibiotics when I go to Mexico, it's perfectly safe and I don't now much about the legality, I've never been asked by customs, so I never say anything about it. I would trust any of the medical use drugs that you can buy in a drug store as long as the bottles are labeled and have seals. Some things are much cheaper, some aren't. I buy the antibiotics so I can save money on Doctors bills when I feel an earache or sore throat coming on. Buying some other things such at Nexium and such would also be safe even ****** if that's what you are seeking, but I'd shy away from things like weight loss drugs and such without seeking advice of a doctor.

the asterisks represent the little blue pill that brings joy to many peoples lives

When I was in Mexico the Farmacia's were pretty much open to pick up most anything. I was going to get some Retin A and it was just laying right out on the shelf like normal acne medication. I have read that you have to have the Spanish translation of the drug you want to buy. But I would be careful about controlled substances. I wouldnt bring ANY thing remotely like that back.

The only weight loss you can buy OTC is like Alli, maybe its stronger, but you wouldnt be able to buy the phen XXX whatever without a prescription and its not as easy as handing in a U.S. prescription. I had to get a Mexican doctor to rewrite some. The drug names are different there in Mexico (often, not always).

You can sometimes get a prescription drug without a prescription, depends on what it is. I was trying to get a osteroperosis drug and they only had the big name which was expensive, not a generic version.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking more along the lines of antibiotics as well. You do need a prescription for those in the U.S. Do I need to bring a prescription with me to purchase in Mexico? How much cheaper are they btw? The last generic antibiotic I bought(can't think of the name of it) was about $40 for a 2 week supply.

My dog actually takes Prednisone too...would be great to get that in Mexico if it's cheaper.

As for controlled substances, I wasn't planning on bring back oxycotin or anything like that. Just some basic medications that cost a lot of $$$ in the U.S. Also, how about birth control, which can run up there too?

My friend has a prescription for phentermine as it's prescribed to her. She was just hoping it was cheaper in Mexico.

Thanks for the replies though.

IF the medicine requires a prescription(in Mexico) then you are supposed to have a Mexican doc write one.

I suppose people take chances all the time but I wouldn't want to get caught by customs bringing in something that was not allowed so I would do it the right way.

Several times over the years I've gotten rx drugs from Mexico. I've gotten antibiotics, zoloft and a medication with similar purpose to the lil blue pill above but longer lasting among other things. Have not ever gotten pain killers or other similar controlled meds. Have never had any problems with any of it. All have always been in original sealed packaging as it would be recieved at a pharmacy. You do have to watch the expiration dates tho. Most things I've gotten have not had tons of time left on them but have been sufficiant for the length of time the medication lasts. Prices on some things are crazy cheap. The last z-pack's I bought I paid a little over $7.00 for. If you've ever had to buy one from a pharmacy you'll know what a deal that is. My advice would be to know what you want, examine the product closely and use good judgement and you should be fine.

I was thinking more along the lines of antibiotics as well. You do need a prescription for those in the U.S. Do I need to bring a prescription with me to purchase in Mexico? How much cheaper are they btw? The last generic antibiotic I bought(can't think of the name of it) was about $40 for a 2 week supply.

You do not need a prescription to buy it in Mexico, but you do need a prescription (technically) to get it through Customs. They're about a buck a pill, depending on what you buy. So figure $16 or so for a two week supply.

As for controlled substances, I wasn't planning on bring back oxycotin or anything like that. Just some basic medications that cost a lot of $$$ in the U.S. Also, how about birth control, which can run up there too?

You cannot get most of your Class IV narcotics in Mexico without a prescription, and even then you'll have to see an actual pharmacist. Though oddly enough, if you need anti-depressents, they are over the counter, same with ED medications, and most hardcore antibiotics like Cipro and Levequin. I don't recall seeing birth control pills OTC, could be because I wasn't looking, could be because Mexico is very Catholic country and the Vatican isn't fond of 'em.

Your title was certainly intriguing. :D

I was going to suggest you watch a few episodes of "Locked up Abroad".

If the pharmaceuticals are in sealed factory packaging, they're probably safe. I don't know about the legality of bringing them back on a cruise, though.

Thanks for the replies.

My dog actually takes Prednisone too...would be great to get that in Mexico if it's cheaper.

My friend has a prescription for phentermine as it's prescribed to her. She was just hoping it was cheaper in Mexico.

Thanks for the replies though.

amoxcillina(amoxicillin{I can't spell today}) can be anywhere from $5 to $10 a bottle of 100 capsules. the further away from the main strip in Coz you are the less it is. weigh your risk vs price and convenience. I havent bought any other antibiotics.

IF the medicine requires a prescription(in Mexico) then you are supposed to have a Mexican doc write one.

I suppose people take chances all the time but I wouldn't want to get caught by customs bringing in something that was not allowed so I would do it the right way.

I'm not trying to do it the wrong way. Just didn't know what the right way was. That's what these boards are for :)

Guess I'll pass on buying any type of pharmaceuticals in Mexico, because it's not worth that much trouble to go find a Mexican doctor to write me a prescription for antibiotics, birth control, etc. Seems like by the time I do that and pay the doctor, any savings would be negligible anyway.

My advice would be to know what you want, examine the product closely and use good judgement and you should be fine.

Also, go online and find out who is making the generic in markets outside the US and what the generic looks like. It can be quite shocking, if you order your medications from outside the US, to see your pills in red and white and not pink and black.

You cannot get most of your Class IV narcotics in Mexico without a prescription, and even then you'll have to see an actual pharmacist. Though oddly enough, if you need anti-depressents, they are over the counter, same with ED medications, and most hardcore antibiotics like Cipro and Levequin. I don't recall seeing birth control pills OTC, could be because I wasn't looking, could be because Mexico is very Catholic country and the Vatican isn't fond of 'em.

yeah I'm sure the prostitutes are so worried they might go to a bad place when they die for using birth control. LOL

but I understand what you mean.

as for antidepressents I take ****** and get it for $4 at Walmart, I can't imagine anything cheaper than that, but if you don't have insurance it might be an issue.

Husband, I, and 2 children(14 and 5) will be going on a cruise out of New Orleans in September. The ports are Cozumel and Progresso. I know we can bring back bottled liquor. Does anyone know how much or the limit per the U.S. Also heard the duty is so cheap, there really is no limit. What is the duty per litre?

A friend told me about the pharmacies in Mexico and that you can get prescriptions cheaper in Mexico. Is this safe? I'd trust a Canadian pharmacy, but for some reason, getting pharmaceuticals in Mexico seems iffy to me. Any experiences with this? Are the drugs coming from the same drug manufacturers?

One more thing. Friend said some drugs that are "behind the counter" in U.S. are OTC in Mexico. Is this true? If so, what are examples of this? Do I need to carry my prescriptions with me into Mexico, or do I just need to have them when coming back into the U.S. to show Customs?

Also, a friend wants me to get her some Phentermine in Mexico. It's a diet pill that is pretty expensive, even the generic, which Phentermine is. Do I need her prescription for this?

Thanks!!!

YOu can legally bring in a 90 day supply of prescription medication for yourself only (possibly a dependant - although I'm not sure about that). Customs could request a perscription to show you have reasons to bring it in. The chances of them even seeing the drugs getting off of a ship is rare though. I don't believe they scan the bags on the way out. They might have dogs. I used self check out rather then VIP and nobody checked or scanned our bags. I didn't have anything to hide though.

I guess when you get back on the boat in Mexico they could find it then. If it's a controlled substance and they find it you will need to show a US perscription if found.

They are cracking down on this in Mexico from what I have heard. Most pharmacies will now send you to a doctor like next door who will write the perscription for a nice fee. Be careful, when you dealing with such people you could find yourself in trouble in Mexico and miss the boat.

Be careful and remember you going to need cash and your not in a rich area, Thanks happen..................

Why the need for so many antibiotics? :(

I haven't touched those things in years.

I am intrigued though on vitamins and such. Are the prices better in Mexico? Do you have to declare vitamins when going through customs?

Once a day multi-vitamin, magnesium, iron, calcium are some examples of what I have in mind. I'm not into exotic supplements, just the basics.

Thanks!

I have 2 children...antibiotics are usually prescribed at least once a year for one or the other by their doctor. Children get sick.

I am intrigued though on vitamins and such. Are the prices better in Mexico? Do you have to declare vitamins when going through customs?

Once a day multi-vitamin, magnesium, iron, calcium are some examples of what I have in mind. I'm not into exotic supplements, just the basics.

Thanks!

DH and I have a large blended family with 8 children. The oldest is 32 and youngest is 17. While they all have homes and jobs, none of them have any insurance. Excluding the youngest of course, he's on our policy. If we didn't have the antibiotics to give them they would go without until they ended up in the hospital. We've got one that is prone to upper resp infections and the only thing that clears them up is the z-pack. There is no way she could afford to pay pharmacy prices so she would do without until she ended up in the hospital on a resperator (sp?). So by buying them in Mexico we are able to afford to make sure she has them when the need comes up. :)

DH and I have a large blended family with 8 children. The oldest is 32 and youngest is 17. While they all have homes and jobs, none of them have any insurance. Excluding the youngest of course, he's on our policy. If we didn't have the antibiotics to give them they would go without until they ended up in the hospital. We've got one that is prone to upper resp infections and the only thing that clears them up is the z-pack. There is no way she could afford to pay pharmacy prices so she would do without until she ended up in the hospital on a resperator (sp?). So by buying them in Mexico we are able to afford to make sure she has them when the need comes up. :)

That is truly a shame that in this country, your family has to endure such extremes to get a simple prescription drug.

Well, I don't want to turn this thread into a political debate, we all know where that would lead to.

I wish you and your family all the best.

It is very strange how cheap a lot of our prescriptions are up here in Canada compared to the US. Although your pet medications are much cheaper.

About Mexico , it is very easy to pick up steroids and HGH.

I'm not trying to do it the wrong way. Just didn't know what the right way was. That's what these boards are for :)

Guess I'll pass on buying any type of pharmaceuticals in Mexico, because it's not worth that much trouble to go find a Mexican doctor to write me a prescription for antibiotics, birth control, etc. Seems like by the time I do that and pay the doctor, any savings would be negligible anyway.

If you want to do it the right way, why not just contact Customs and ask them? I'm sure the answers are buried somewhere on their webpage and in their laws/regulations. Here's a link for starters. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html and an excerpt from that link.

Drug Penalties and Prescription Medications: Penalties for drug offenses are strict, and convicted offenders can expect large fines and jail sentences of up to 25 years. The purchase of controlled medications requires a prescription from a licensed Mexican physician; some Mexican doctors have been arrested for writing prescriptions without due cause. In those instances, U.S. citizens who purchased the medications have been held in jail for months waiting for the Mexican judicial system to decide their fate. The Mexican list of controlled medications differs from that of the United States, and Mexican public health laws concerning controlled medications are unclear and often enforced selectively. To determine whether a particular medication is controlled in Mexico or requires a prescription from a Mexican doctor for purchase, please consult the website of the Mexican Federal Commission for Protection against Health Risks (Comisión Federal para la Protección contra Riesgos Sanitarios - COFEPRIS).

Buying Prescription Drugs: The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens not travel to Mexico for the sole purpose of buying prescription drugs. U.S. citizens have been arrested and their medicines confiscated by Mexican authorities when their prescriptions were written by a licensed American physician and filled by a licensed Mexican pharmacist. There have been cases of U.S. citizens buying prescription drugs in border cities only to be arrested soon after or have money extorted by criminals impersonating police officers. Those arrested are often held for the full 48 hours allowed by Mexican law without charges being filed, then released. During this interval, the detainees are often asked for bribes or are solicited by attorneys who demand large fees to secure their release, which will normally occur without any intercession as there are insufficient grounds to bring criminal charges against the individuals. In addition, U.S. law enforcement officials believe that as many as 25 percent of the medications available in Mexico are counterfeit and substandard. Such counterfeit medications may be difficult to distinguish from the real medications and could pose serious health risks to consumers. The importation of prescription drugs into the United States can be illegal in certain circumstances. U.S. law generally permits persons to enter the United States with only an immediate supply (i.e., enough for about one month) of a prescription medication.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Archived