What Am I Allowed to Bring Back to US? Alcohol and Drugs?

Omagic

I always buy penicillin and/or amoxicillin in Mexico. I usually pay $20 for 2 bottles of pen and $24 for amox larger qty than pen so it is more. I have been asked by customs when departing the ship if I purchased any medications and I say no. Unless they inspect your bag, you likely won't get caught. Would hate to the think of the consequences though if I said no and they found them. But I would never personally bring in pain killers/controlled substances like oxycodone or whatever. I've never needed a RX to get antibiotics and all the pharmacias have them. But dosing instructions are in spanish so I had to google to find dosing instructions in english.

Liquor is 1 liter per person age 21 and older. You can bring more and usually they will not make you pay duty. I just always claim it on my form (usually we bring back 4-6 liters for DH and myself) and then they wave me through because the duty is so small (like $2-3 a liter) that they don't have time to collect it.

The one time I had to pay duty was when we sailed out of New Orleans and couldn't debark back there so we debarked in Mobile. They seemed excited that someone was honest and were eager to get the duty! Still made the liquor much cheaper than at home! (I always price shop before going on a cruise since I cook with a lot of liquors).

Husband, I, and 2 children(14 and 5) will be going on a cruise out of New Orleans in September. The ports are Cozumel and Progresso. I know we can bring back bottled liquor. Does anyone know how much or the limit per the U.S. Also heard the duty is so cheap, there really is no limit. What is the duty per litre?

A friend told me about the pharmacies in Mexico and that you can get prescriptions cheaper in Mexico. Is this safe? I'd trust a Canadian pharmacy, but for some reason, getting pharmaceuticals in Mexico seems iffy to me. Any experiences with this? Are the drugs coming from the same drug manufacturers?

One more thing. Friend said some drugs that are "behind the counter" in U.S. are OTC in Mexico. Is this true? If so, what are examples of this? Do I need to carry my prescriptions with me into Mexico, or do I just need to have them when coming back into the U.S. to show Customs?

Also, a friend wants me to get her some Phentermine in Mexico. It's a diet pill that is pretty expensive, even the generic, which Phentermine is. Do I need her prescription for this?

Thanks!!!

Your duty limits are one liter of liquor per adult. Anything above that is subject to duty. Here is a link to a site that can help you figure out, how much it might be, but it goes without saying that it is not a lot.

As far as drugs do not bring any prescription only medications into the country without a valid prescription. You cannot bring drugs back for anyone other than those in your traveling party.

I have 2 children...antibiotics are usually prescribed at least once a year for one or the other by their doctor. Children get sick.

When children get sick, unless you are a trained health professional it is irresponsible to give them medicines without a health care provider prescribing them. Children get sick and well very quickly and the uncontrolled use of antibiotics are contributing to the grow of "superbugs."

(The superbug thing applies to adults using meds without a physician prescribing and without following the directions accurately.)

When children get sick, unless you are a trained health professional it is irresponsible to give them medicines without a health care provider prescribing them. Children get sick and well very quickly and the uncontrolled use of antibiotics are contributing to the grow of "superbugs."

(The superbug thing applies to adults using meds without a physician prescribing and without following the directions accurately.)

Wow, who called the Parenting Police? :rolleyes:

FYI, in most other civilized countries around the world -- and even some uncivilized one -- you don't need to see a physician to get ahold of antibiotics legally. Perhaps you should go and lecture all those other countries about creating superbugs. :rolleyes:

Liquor- each U.S. citizen 21 years of age or older are allowed 1 litre free of duty, however, you can bring back more than that, as long as it's for personal use (not for re-sale). Each extra bottle is subject to duty, which varies depending on the proof of the alcohol. Most of the time the duty isn't very much, and not worth the time it would take for Customs to collect it, although they can if they want to.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

check out the website above, it should have everything you need to know.

Have a great trip.

I always stock up on my 'scripts while in Mexico. I do have my family physician write me 'scripts before I leave for my cruise in case I need to show them to custom officials.

I purchase multiple types of antibiotics such as Cipro and Z packs. I also get ibu 800 or Toradol (medium level pain killers). Some derma products and a few other items. Have never had any problems. I told customs that yes I had purchased prescription pills and they asked to see the scripts...easy peasy. The Mexican pharmacia did not need the scripts, I used them to find what I needed over the counter.

Hi,

I spent 8 1/2 years growing up in Mexico and I have no problem with dealing with Mexican doctors or legitimate pharmacies.

I buy amoxicillan and bactrim in Mexico whenever I am there. My mother takes them for UTI's and we have prescriptions for them. My wife bought retin-a as well.

I would not try to get pain killers such as oxycontin without seeing a real Mexican doctor first. The pain killers are regulated quite strictly now in Mexico.

Just be aware of where you go to get your medications. Also, Mexico has many fine doctors and many of them have been trained in the U.S. or Europe.

Buena suerte!

Liquor- each U.S. citizen 21 years of age or older are allowed 1 litre free of duty, however, you can bring back more than that, as long as it's for personal use (not for re-sale). Each extra bottle is subject to duty, which varies depending on the proof of the alcohol. Most of the time the duty isn't very much, and not worth the time it would take for Customs to collect it, although they can if they want to.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

check out the website above, it should have everything you need to know.

Have a great trip.

Thank you, I knew I had seen how much liquor you could bring back but could not find it anywhere.

I bought and brought home Cipro 500mg from Mexico. I forget how many I purchased, 20-25 and paid around $23.00. My adult daughter prone to kidney infections and no insurance. Customs asked, I told them about having them, they asked why, I told them and went on my way.

Archived