Show us Your Aft!

How bad is the motion/rumbling/grumbling on The Freedom in an aft?!

We felt no motion and there was no rumbling in 7408. DH is sensitive to the movement of a ship, and this was his best experience if all the cruises we have taken. The hallway is super quiet, since it is so far back. We only ran into our neighbor 1 time in 7 days. I highly recommend this cabin!

How bad is the motion/rumbling/grumbling on The Freedom in an aft?!

We had 7708, corner aft on the Independence. We heard no noises at all, nor did we feel any movements which were any more than the other cabins we've stayed in.

I'm posting a video; hopefully it'll go through. Also, our review.

Although this suite had its charm, I'd not book it again for the simple reason that it was very, very noisy in the am due to the activity in the Windjammer above it.

I've never experienced this amount of noise on the aft before, even on this class when in 1104 and 1102.

Here's the review:

Stateroom 1600 Grand Suite Deck 10 Aft

Because we were celebrating a milestone birthday, we splurged and booked a grand suit. We typically love being on the aft (fishtail) and so when GS 1600 opened up unexpectedly, we grabbed it. I have to admit going into this cruise, I’d read a lot of negative comments on CC about this particular suite. I also read some pretty positive comments, with the upshot being, “You have to try it to see if YOU like it”. Well…it certainly is an interesting layout. Because of its location (tucked into the starboard aft), things are sorta “wrapped”. There is some wasted space in a longish hallway from the door to where you turn into the actual suite (although this did offer privacy in that folks standing in the outside hallway couldn’t see into the room). Because we’ve never stayed in a grand suite, I didn’t have anything else to compare it to, but, others told me that 1600 does not have the nice floor to ceiling windows (just the usual slider going out to the balcony); plus, ours did not have a bar (it did have a credenza sorta thing pushed up against the wall) nor did it have a walk in closet (which was definitely a big negative in our view). The bathroom was very nice and we did enjoy the balcony even if it was considerably smaller than that of other in the GS category and even of the smaller rooms on the aft. The biggest negative was the noise from the Windjammer above it. Starting at about 5:00 am, there was considerable thumping and bumping; sounded like someone rolling a bowling ball over the floor. This went on for an hour or so when it quieted down somewhat until folks started heading to the buffet for breakfast; then, a lot of chair scrapping noise. We’ve stayed on the fishtail in this class of ship before and have never heard this amount of racket. It was very disappointing to have paid so much money to be so disturbed every morning. But, I was forewarned (as I am forewarning all of you now!) For those who get up at the crack of dawn, it wouldn’t be an issue at all. We never heard any other significant noise throughout the day or even at night. Although the balcony was on the small side, the somewhat panoramic angle of it offered some very nice views of the wake and the ocean. We didn’t feel any more movement than normal, and, in fact, did not feel a big lurch to the starboard side the ship took on our last night.

Another minor disappointment was our SRA. He’d just come on to the ship in NOLA (along with many other crew, see below for comments on that). Again, not having stayed in a GS before, I’m not sure what we missed out on, but, I somewhat get the feeling he didn’t give us the attention we were supposed to get. He wasn’t awful by any stretch and he did keep the room in order, he just wasn’t all that personable or attentive. Case in point, there were birthday cards all over the credenza in the stateroom and I’m sure the birthday was noted on the manifest; he never said Happy Birthday. Oh well. Although we could have, we never took advantage of the ability to order off the main dining room menu for lunch or dinner for room service. We did order breakfast several times and it did come very quickly. Also, staying in a GS does give you obvious priority when it comes to having luggage delivered; ours was there hours before the other folks who were down there on the aft with us.

Somewhere I have pictures of the balcony; didn't manage to get it into the video this time!

I'll post if anyone is interested.

Corner aft cabin # 7688 on the Explorer. Just came off the ship on Sunday Dec. 22. I loved this cabin and the large balcony. I even put up battery operated Christmas lights on the porthole of the balcony.

Gwen :)

2013-12-17123239.jpg

2013-12-21164951.jpg

2013-12-14054614.jpg

We've booked 7388 on Explorer (same stateroom, starboard side) for a 9 day southern Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral Feb 2015. We've had 7408 on Freedom of the Seas the last two cruises and LOVED it. The large balcony is perfect for us! Over a year away, but already excited. :)

Corner aft cabin # 7688 on the Explorer. Just came off the ship on Sunday Dec. 22. I loved this cabin and the large balcony. I even put up battery operated Christmas lights on the porthole of the balcony.

2013-12-17123239.jpg

2013-12-21164951.jpg

2013-12-14054614.jpg

Was this a regular balcony room or a junior suite? That is an awesome balcony!!!

Was this a regular balcony room or a junior suite? That is an awesome balcony!!!

This was a regular E1 balcony. I switched cabins 5 times to get it. They are usually the first to go. And, yes, it was an awesome balcony. Spent lots of time on it. Now I have to go back to my interior cabin.:( Was great while it lasted.

2013-12-17123239.jpg

2013-12-21164951.jpg

2013-12-14054614.jpg

We have 7688 booked on the Navigator...looking forward to it. Thanks for the pictures.

Pretty. Where do you find the battery powered lights? Is it a Christmas time only find??

I got them through Amazon. Yes, they are still available and even less expensive than what I paid. They can alternate between color and all white, all color or all white-steady on or flashing. There is also a timer on the battery box and a dusk to dawn feature. Really nice for the price (now under $10 for a 50 light set. I used 2 sets.

I got them through Amazon. Yes, they are still available and even less expensive than what I paid. They can alternate between color and all white, all color or all white-steady on or flashing. There is also a timer on the battery box and a dusk to dawn feature. Really nice for the price (now under $10 for a 50 light set. I used 2 sets.

Gwen,

thanks for the tip, I just bought two sets ($9.98 each:D).

Gwen,

thanks for the tip, I just bought two sets ($9.98 each:D).

You're welcome. I used them at home when I got home. I paid a little more for mine, but that is OK. I should order more to down average. :p BTW. The 3 D batteries lasted for the whole cruise and for a week after we got home. I didn't leave the lights on all night though.

Thank you so much for the reply. I will order some tomorrow..

2013-12-17123239.jpg

2013-12-21164951.jpg

2013-12-14054614.jpg

Nice Gwen. We love the corner aft on the Explorer.

• 3 weeks later...