Buying pharmaceuticals in port

shellybell42

Just wondered if anyone has ever done this. I've seen them everywhere in Ensenada, among other places, and several stores have huge lines of customers ready to snap up what prescription medicine they can.

I can't believe that stuff is safe. Any thoughts?

I checked to see if my Glaucoma Meds were available because they cost a small fortune here in the States. No dice! They didn't have it, but the pharmacist there told me that they'll be stocking it in the future, as they've had several request for it. He says it's exactly the same as you get in the states, as there is only one lab that makes it!

"SKY"

Laws are changing,if they haven't already.

You will need a prescription in Mexico.

They say,a lot of stores have a Dr,on site,that will write the script..But,unclear how much,if any that charge will be..

Have bought meds every time we have been to Mexico and Belize without a problem.

Try to get the stuff that is so expensive here in the states to save some money.

It is exactly the same drugs, they all come from the same place just shipped all over the world with differences in price depending where it is shipped.

Just wondered if anyone has ever done this. I've seen them everywhere in Ensenada, among other places, and several stores have huge lines of customers ready to snap up what prescription medicine they can.

Why would it not be safe?

Wasnt there just a post about this yesterday? Something about drugs and alcohol being purchased in Mexico?

There's a thread on the RCI board. The issue is them being required to take pesos and not US dollars anymore. Personally, I would never purchase meds in another country with the corruption issues Mexico has. The safety issues surround the fact that the US has very strict FDA regs concerning meds and who knows what Mexico has or even follows or if you're even getting what you're purchasing. My other issue comes from people purchasing meds they have no real need or prescription for such as antibiotics.

There's a thread on the RCI board. The issue is them being required to take pesos and not US dollars anymore. Personally, I would never purchase meds in another country with the corruption issues Mexico has. The safety issues surround the fact that the US has very strict FDA regs concerning meds and who knows what Mexico has or even follows or if you're even getting what you're purchasing. My other issue comes from people purchasing meds they have no real need or prescription for such as antibiotics.

Seriously? It's not the 1860's people. Mexico has an FDA equivalent, much like Canada and India do. It's not the Wild, Wild West. Mexican pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies don't stay in business by providing their clientele with false products. Not only that, but the patents that pass the FDA in the US are then sold all over the world -- often cheaper because they aren't paying for the R&D done in the States.

And are you aware that in most of the rest of the world you can legally get ahold of antibiotics without a prescription? Imagine that, not having to go pay a co-pay and then another co-pay when you know you're coming down with Strep Throat. The culture of fear that US Medical and Pharmaceutical Industries has built up is just astounding.

My brother has lived in Mexico for 25 years, he comes to the states to buy his meds. Learn what you will from that.

When in Mexico i always pick up a few Albuterol inhalers, Z-Pac antibiotic & 2.5% hydrocortisone. My Dr. says it's the same thing as here.

I lived in Ensenada for 2 yrs & i would come back to San Diego for Dr apt. & meds. Only because i had my insurance here & had a co-pay of $5.00 for meds.

Two years ago, I purchased 120 Amoxicillin pills for $25.00 at the pharmacia right off the pier in Cozumel. I have chronic sinusitis/sinus infections and it came in very handy. No side effects, no problems at all.

A friend of mine cruises all the time and she purchases all of her fluid (high blood pressure) pills there. She has been doing this for years.

I had heard that, maybe just in border cities, you needed a prescription from a Mexican doctor to get pharms.

The lower cost is generally because other countries will tell drug manufacturers, "Either you sell your wonder pill to us at this price, or we'll license someone to make them here and you'll get nothing." It's pretty tough to get an effective remedy against a sovereign, so they go for it. The high cost of drugs here isn't greedy pharmaceutical companies gleefully raping poor, sick people... it's them recouping their massive R&D costs from the only audience they can. When you buy drugs in the US, you're actively subsidizing those same drugs for the rest of the world.

So, it's generally safe to buy drugs in Mexico... so long as you're covered legally. You do not want to wind up in a Mexican prison, or even just arrested, over "irregularities" with prescription drugs. Mexico is under a Napoleanic system, where you have the onus of proving your innocense, as opposed to the state having the burden of proving your guilt. And there is no ACLU making sure you get three hot meals, color cable TV, etc. in prison. If you want anything, you have to pay for it. And nobody is going to much care if other prisoners decide your bum looks especially plump and inviting.

I usually pick up 4-6 Z-packs when I'm in Cozumel - saves me from going to the doctor ($25 OV) and then heading to Super Target to have the prescription filled ($10/script). I have never had any issues with them!

The only Mexicans drug deaths I read about are from bullets and illegal drug wars.

I have never heard of wholesale Mexican deaths from taking ethical drugs. The chances are VERY high that the drugs they sell are the exact same drugs, made in the same factory, as the drugs we pay enormous prices for here.

The only Mexicans drug deaths I read about are from bullets and illegal drug wars.

I have never heard of wholesale Mexican deaths from taking ethical drugs. The chances are VERY high that the drugs they sell are the exact same drugs, made in the same factory, as the drugs we pay enormous prices for here.

Or their generic, which is not allowed to be sold in the states as it's still within the pharmaceuticals patent rights. You'd be surprised how many drugs you can only get the name brand for in the States have an overseas generic that's being sold in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, etc.

Considering a lot of what you buy in the US is actually made in Mexico, it's quite safe. You do need to watch out for dosage levels, though. For example, that ibuprofen you picked up might be 600mgs/tablet instead of the 200mgs/tablet allowed in the US.

So, it's generally safe to buy drugs in Mexico... so long as you're covered legally. You do not want to wind up in a Mexican prison, or even just arrested, over "irregularities" with prescription drugs. Mexico is under a Napoleanic system, where you have the onus of proving your innocense, as opposed to the state having the burden of proving your guilt. And there is no ACLU making sure you get three hot meals, color cable TV, etc. in prison. If you want anything, you have to pay for it. And nobody is going to much care if other prisoners decide your bum looks especially plump and inviting.

That's only an issue if you're walking out of the pharmacy with a suitcase full & it's obvious you're only buying them to re-sell (like that kid from Austin many moons ago who was caught with THOUSANDS of can't-remember-what-now & she didn't need any of it).

When in Mexico i always pick up a few Albuterol inhalers, Z-Pac antibiotic & 2.5% hydrocortisone. My Dr. says it's the same thing as here.

I lived in Ensenada for 2 yrs & i would come back to San Diego for Dr apt. & meds. Only because i had my insurance here & had a co-pay of $5.00 for meds.

Don't mean to hijack but as a long time asthma sufferer I felt compelled to ask: where in Mexico have you bought the Albuterol, and how much was it? If you want, you can email me at patto_24 hotmail dot com.

Thank you so much!

I think it is only the antibiotics that Mexico is going to require a scrip for soon....because of too many people becoming resistant ect. i think there will still be a doc near by that you can go to to get a scrip..is what I read in the news a few days ago.

Archived