Does ship size make a difference in seasickness?

Does a larger ship mean less chance of motion sickness? We have 2 in our family who are sensetive to motion sickness. Last year they did fine on Carnival Liberty (110000 tons). We stayed midship. If we look into a smaller ship, do we risk more motion?

Thanks!!

Does a larger ship mean less chance of motion sickness? We have 2 in our family who are sensetive to motion sickness. Last year they did fine on Carnival Liberty (110000 tons). We stayed midship. If we look into a smaller ship, do we risk more motion?

Thanks!!

As a very, very general rule of thumb, yes. But how much smaller are you thinking? 75K toms? 90K tons? At that point I'd guess the location of your cabin and the itinerary have more to do with the motion than the ship size.

Ship size can play a role along with the stabilizers that the ship uses.

I find that the best strategy is to book a cabin as mid ship as you can and that you will feel the seas the most the further forward you are and if possible to book a cabin on a lower deck.

Also bring some medication with you.

Keith

Yes to a certain extent, but if you are like me where motion between eye and ear delta then even a smooth moving ship ( big or small ) can make me ill. Of course if its rocking and plowing thru the waves a bigger boat will always be less effected then a smaller boat.

As you note high up and or bow and aft will result in more motion for any given ship/condition.

Thanks!!

I've been on some of the largest ships afloat and have experienced some very rough seas and a terribly bumpy cruise---the QM2 was awful in seas that weren't all that high. Then I've been on much smaller ships, from Crystal, and have had very smooth cruises in some very rough seas. On one crossing from FLL to London, we had seas of 35ft, and unless you looked out the window and saw the huge waves, you'd never know it was so bumpy. A lot has to do with the draft of the ship and the way the Captain uses the stabilizers. Plus, it's not usually waves that cause the most problems, it's the swells---those huge rolling waves that don't crest.

Agree - breaking waves are usually OK; it's the swells that can make the ship rock and roll so yes, a larger ship can usually handle rough seas a little better (but not always!). Best advice, take plenty of medication and don't hesitate to use it, especially if you know you are prone to motion sickness. And try not to think about it. I know several people who got seasick from constantly worrying that they might get seasick!

Archived